EGR Recirculation CEL

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
OK, I've got all of my CELs taken care of with the exception of 401, Insufficient EGR flow.

My EGR pipe is currently welded shut.

I remember in the past that Little Beavis hooked up his crankcase ventalation to the EGR in the past, but I'm not sure how that turned out.

Any suggestions?

The only CEL I see sometimes is idle RPM's higher than expected.. :D

I think that is what he did. You may want to ask him directly.

thats what he did and it worked. all you really need for it to read is just air flow...

pdhaudio83 said:
thats what he did and it worked. all you really need for it to read is just air flow...

See, but I don't know what cases make the EGR open. And then when the EGR is closed, the crank case is not going to vent at all, correct?

EGR is pretty much just a recirc valve for startup. it helps with emmisions... as long as it sees some flow at startup then it will be happy... hell, you could blow into it and get no CEL

RyanJayG said:
EGR is pretty much just a recirc valve for startup. it helps with emmisions... as long as it sees some flow at startup then it will be happy... hell, you could blow into it and get no CEL
I'm considering just leaving it completely open...

i've got this CEL as well...i'm thinking about doing the how-to by 122 vega to clean it

Kooldino said:
See, but I don't know what cases make the EGR open. And then when the EGR is closed, the crank case is not going to vent at all, correct?

They are not the same thing.

he hooked into the intake, and thus no vac leak, didn't he ?

if you left it open, yes that'd be a large vac leak... i have mine plugged. i just deal with the CEL

pdhaudio83 said:
he hooked into the intake, and thus no vac leak, didn't he ?

if you left it open, yes that'd be a large vac leak... i have mine plugged. i just deal with the CEL

Why not fix it right?

We don't have emissions, and I'm not worried about it. Plus somehow my EGR valve got stuck (way back!) and the dealer didnt have a clue

MPNick said:
A big air leak is coming your way.

I was thinking that at first, but when the EGR is open, it's already kind of getting unmetered air (from the exhaust). So what's the diff if it's fresh air or not?

Back