Seat/Seat Cover Swap Questions?

Foolish

...of Awesometon
:
'94 Miata! '10 Mazda5 Sport 5MT, '16 Mazda3 S GT
So, I understand that the MSP, MP3, P5 and ES models got the same front seats, with different covers on them, and that DX and LX owners such as myself got the front seats that suck, and have insufficient side bolsters.

I've also read that the covers can be removed and swapped from seat to seat, ie: get some MP3 covers and stick them on your P5 seats.

What I need to know is whether or not I could stick my LX front seat covers on a set of MSP/MP3/P5/ES seats to keep a matching interior for my car while gaining the more bolstered, more comfortable front seats that make me oh so jealous of my wife's P5?

Has anyone done this?
Do they fit, or are they stretched all to hell on the sides and loose in the middle, or something like that?

Thanks folks!

My wife has a P5. Her seats are way nicer than mine!

I really don't think the covers from the LX seats would fit, aren't they shaped a bit differently?

Are those Miata wheels on your car?

Foolish said:
So, I understand that the MSP, MP3, P5 and ES models got the same front seats, with different covers on them, and that DX and LX owners such as myself got the front seats that suck, and have insufficient side bolsters.

I've also read that the covers can be removed and swapped from seat to seat, ie: get some MP3 covers and stick them on your P5 seats.

What I need to know is whether or not I could stick my LX front seat covers on a set of MSP/MP3/P5/ES seats to keep a matching interior for my car while gaining the more bolstered, more comfortable front seats that make me oh so jealous of my wife's P5?

Has anyone done this?
Do they fit, or are they stretched all to hell on the sides and loose in the middle, or something like that?

Thanks folks!
I have swapped covers on the rear bench seats but not the front. I can almost positively tell you that the LX cover will not fit on the MSP/MP3 seats. There is increased bolstering up near the headrest, on the sides, and around your thighs. And to be honest, I've found out that even the rear cushions are ever so slightly different. They have seperate part numbers for each cushion.

The reason is, the covers have different seams, which use a serious of nylon velcro to hold them down to make them look like they are sewn into the seat. So there are sections on my rear seats that aren't held down as tight as they were on their old seats because the LX cushion doesnt have the same velcro points. Also, its not as simple to just "swap" the covers as you think. I only tried the rear bench because it looked the least complicated. It involved me sitting there with pliers removing and replacing those little fishhook rings all the way around the bottom bench. (boom07) Also, I still think that there is a slight mm difference in thickness between the two seats. I never measured so I have no proof, but the MSP cover isn't as tight all around on the LX cushion. That could be due to the velcro, but I have my doubts. And the rear bench seats, the ones that fold down, you have to take off the side mounting brackets without tearing them up. I don't know how I managed to do it, but I did. Then take apart the latch assembly, then the rear seat lock switch cover.

But anyway, I really don't think the LX cover will fit onto the front seat because there are a ton of little differences all around. You would be better off just converting to the MSP style interior. Or if it's just more bolster that you want, you should go talk to an upholstry shop. They might be able to add more/stiffer support to your current seats without having to swap anything.

Just some food for thought. But I'm not here to talk you out of it. Anything is possible, so if you really want it then I'd investigate more.

Back