Stinks at highway speeds...

4G1V3N

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hello everyone. I searched the forums for the answer to my question but was not very successfull so I thought I would ask.

I have a 03 P5 that begins to stink when I get up to 70 mph for over a few minutes. I bought this car a few weeks ago and I love it, but I am not too sure about what the smell is all about. It smells like something rotten and I have heard this may have something to do with the catalytic converter, but of course, I am not sure. Any ideas?

The car had MazdaSpeed decals all over it when I got it and has an aftermarket exhaust (loud and low drone) and intake (not sure what name).

Thanks

John

new cat..

mp3moose said:
A new cat will do that. Was yours recently replaced?

I have no idea. I wish I had more history on this car, but I just got it a few weeks ago. I have done nothing to it....yet.

A reply within the first few minutes.....dude, that is awesome!

yeah, could be the cat, also could be the A/C sitting for a long time, there is a TSB out for that problem, easy to fix/take care of if it is that

4G1V3N said:
I have no idea. I wish I had more history on this car, but I just got it a few weeks ago. I have done nothing to it....yet.
Always use carfacts....especially when the car has mods.

Not quite sure what a TSB is...

mogi said:
yeah, could be the cat, also could be the A/C sitting for a long time, there is a TSB out for that problem, easy to fix/take care of if it is that

Sorry for the dumb question....but what is a TSB? Thanks for the feedback.

I forgot exactly what it stands for, trouble service bulletin? basically an advisory issued to dealers about issues with a car, do a forum search, the url I had for the TSB list no longer works. that or go ask your local dealer for info on it, basically they run your air and shoot some sort of mildew coating/killing aerosol into the air intake and flush the system...

the future prevention was to run your air for a few minutes before you fully turn off your car or something

thanks, bookmarked that sucker, mine was the same url I think, except it was eeman instead of theman or something...

my car does the same thing...always has. I have 62,000 miles on it now and it still does it when I am pushing the car on the freeway. I don't get why everyone says it is the CAT. it seems to me that I have NEVER had a car that did this and all of my past cars have been cat equipped....go figure....has anyone ever replaced their cats with an aftermarket high flow and had the problem persist?

i had this problem for a while. did some research and found it could be related to the gas you use. i went from 87 to 89 and buy my gas from the same place everytime. i hardly ever get the rotten egg smell now.
just a suggestion!

I use the cheap stuff too.....well, nothing is cheap anymore..

bcubed said:
i had this problem for a while. did some research and found it could be related to the gas you use. i went from 87 to 89 and buy my gas from the same place everytime. i hardly ever get the rotten egg smell now.
just a suggestion!

Hmm.. I will try the next grade up. Good idea. Thanks.

Back