Tough Crowd Comparison test:

tritonheat1

Banned
:
06 MS6, 98 A4 1.8T Rebuilt
Battle of the Imports between Dodge SRT-4, M-S protege, SVT Focus, Mini cooperS, Sentra SpecV, Hyundai tiburon, volkswagen GTi, Civic SI

I guess it was a touch choice between the two Turbocharged machines but since the SRT-4 has the straight line performance and the MS-protege has the Handling they chose to go up and around the hills to decide who's quicker. Well as they chirrped through the hills the it took almost 3miles for the SRT-4 to even get a gap from the mazdaspeed, that's how close and fast they were. mazda had the speed to keep up with beast machine, but overall the SRT-4 took 1st while the MS-protege took 2nd, it wasn't a easy choice even though they both are quick and have the performance for the price but damm these cars are devistating.

SRT-4 spec:

curb weight: 2870lbs
wheel HP: 223@5700rpms
torque: 250@3000rpms
0-60.....5.8sec
1/4mile....14.2sec@99.5mph
lateral G....85.g
slalom.......69mph
braking Dis........119ft

MS-Protege spec:

curb weight: 2810
wheel HP: 150@6000RPMS
Torque: 150@3700rpms
0-60......7.6sec
1/4mile...15.5sec@89.4mph
lateral G.....89g
slalom.......70.3mph
braking Dis.....123ft (No Abs)

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0301scc_20gsmazda/

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0301scc_20gsdodge/

It could be the car. It appears that the MSP SCC tested was the black one with the sunroof, not a production car.

I still feel the SRT-4 that the car mags are testing is a ringer. How can you rate a car at 220HP at the crank and have it routinely produce more HP at the wheels. That engine has to be making 250+HP.

every article says that the srt-4 was a prototype too, but they claim the numbers are evry close to production....thats so sketch to give a car of the year award to something that hasnt even been produced yet. To something you havent driven...

newf said:
0-60 seems a little high doesn't it?

I think they've got that wrong though, cause if you think about it 0-60 for the SpecV is wrong" 8.0sec to 0-60mph and then take a look at the 1/4mile 15.9sec. Then the MS-P hits 60 in 7.6sec and 1/4mile seems a little high 15.5, i would say around high 14's to low 15's. to me i think from C&D is alittle consistent 0-60 in 6.9sec 1/4mile 15.4@93mph. also from motortrend 0-60 in 6.5sec 1/4mile 14.9sec, but i keep hearing that is the preproduction car. Which i don't think so cause it's the November issue. BTW i think it was cause the humidity and roads. maybe:confused:

No magazine has tested a production car. All you have to do is look at the intercooler piping to know I'm right.

that 0-60 is ....... almost 8 seconds........
eek13.gif

Dexter said:
that 0-60 is ....... almost 8 seconds........
eek13.gif

There's no way that the 0-60#'s are right. If it is then the MS-P, SpecV, GTi, GT TIbby, Civic SI are kinda weak.

181HP V-6 0-60...........7.9sec
175Hp I-4 0-60............8.0sec
160Hp I-4 0-60...........8.5sec come on now the MP3 does it 8.3sec
180hp I-4 0-60............7.6sec
170hp I-4 0-60............7.6sec:bs: :bs:

I think that the SRT-4 has the only right specs to it:.

The SRT4 was dynoed by DC with a heat soaked intercooler (worst possible conditions) to come up with the 215 rating originally. Under normal conditions, even a hot day at the autoX the car should make over that. Also, a recent write up on a website (not sure which one) quoted DC saying the SRT will have 240hp.

buster said:
The SRT4 was dynoed by DC with a heat soaked intercooler (worst possible conditions) to come up with the 215 rating originally.
That's bulls*** (not your bulls***, SCCs or DCs bulls***.) If it's true, then they are the first company of all time to do that. When I see SRT-4s in the hands of customers running low 14s/high 13s I'll believe it.

JasonH said:
That's bulls*** (not your bulls***, SCCs or DCs bulls***.) If it's true, then they are the first company of all time to do that. When I see SRT-4s in the hands of customers running low 14s/high 13s I'll believe it.

I have the article here. And yea, the Heatsoaked bull s***, it's like "righttttttt"

The thing that pissed me off was, they test drove a damaged 2002 Spec V (engine was full of ping, the gear box was crunchy, etc), and then they turn around and decide to drive 2 BMW Minis.

But...I think those times seem to be pretty accurate for those cars. Can't say anything about the MSP or the SRT though, since no one has seemed to test these cars properly on the real non prototype.

The Spec V, it it was a 2003, should be going low 15s, maybe as low as 14.9, with the new gearing, and which is estimated.

The SVT focus seems to be right on the dot, same with the SI, and tib. The GTI was right there as well. hmm...

Remember it's just a magazine, they (usually) make it so...whichever company forks up the most cash, they'll make their car look so much better.

*cough cough* BMW *cough cough* Dodge *cough cough*

wow...it seems that I've come down with a cold :p

I dissagree , I have been reading SCC for years now and think they are the most straight up magazine going , they usually call it like it is whether it is good or bad. Three years ago they wouldnt even of considered putting a dodge in a shoot out against the big import names, and for them to name the civic last place in this resent shootout a testament that even a bunch of honda freaks can call a flop

brain said:
I dissagree , I have been reading SCC for years now and think they are the most straight up magazine going , they usually call it like it is whether it is good or bad. Three years ago they wouldnt even of considered putting a dodge in a shoot out against the big import names, and for them to name the civic last place in this resent shootout a testament that even a bunch of honda freaks can call a flop

I agree, SCC is rarely biased towards any car manufacturer. As for the Spec-V, its not SCC's fault Nissan kept sending them faulty cars... POS IMO.

damaster said:

I agree, SCC is rarely biased towards any car manufacturer. As for the Spec-V, its not SCC's fault Nissan kept sending them faulty cars... POS IMO.

hehe..........lol(rofl) (rofl)

damaster said:

It was a first year production car, it's bound to have faults, first year production engine.

It's bound to be meh.

my 2003 has almost no faults that I can find in it.

Even without breaking in my engine, I can pull away from my friend in his 2002 Spec V, and it seems I get faster acceleration too.

And trust me, he's the far superior driver compared to me. I learned stick on my current car, he's been driving stick for 3-4 years now, so he's got that advantage on me.

But no, the neon should be good...but that "heatsoaked" intercooler doesn't sound right...I'm sure the neon when it finally gets here, will be pulling low 14s easy.

but the cooper...I don't understand how it can be under 20 thousand USD, I haven't seen one for that cheap ANYWHERE.

I think they are using MSRP pricing, not super-inflated I need a new mini and will pay anything dealer pricing

If the engineers and PVO guys were present for the test as stated and told them about how they tested it, I am more inclined to buy into it than not. They were also quoted by 2 mags as saying the numbers would be within 5% of tested. If all is true, DC gets some serious respect as far as I am concerned.
These guys are serious about making that car perform. Good on em'!

Daemos said:
but the cooper...I don't understand how it can be under 20 thousand USD, I haven't seen one for that cheap ANYWHERE.
You can order a base Cooper S and pay list price. It's under $20K, but you'll have to wait for it to be built. Most dealers option them up to $23K-$25K.

My only complaint about the SRT-4 is this: If the production car is going to make 250HP, then say it makes 250HP. Don't say it makes "215HP under heat-soaked intercooler conditions." I just feel like we're not getting the full story.

Back