My new MAF setup + extra pictures

chwood said:
I hate you so much.
Screw you and the rims you rode in on.

(drinks)

The polished lip needs re-polished bad, but thanks. I find myself staring at the hotness... I will admit. Those rims are TUCKED (boom05)

The AFC should be in within the next week. Dyno early May.

CasopoliS said:
The polished lip needs re-polished bad, but thanks. I find myself staring at the hotness... I will admit. Those rims are TUCKED (boom05)

The AFC should be in within the next week. Dyno early May.

you bastard

I'm still fighting the system on mine - insurance company thinks the shop was at fault and they should pay, blah blah blah, meanwhile my car just sits there and I can't order my MPI block until I get the check.

good times

edit:
oh and when did you order your AFC? as I hear, they are hard to come by...

Last edited:
chwood said:
you bastard

I'm still fighting the system on mine - insurance company thinks the shop was at fault and they should pay, blah blah blah, meanwhile my car just sits there and I can't order my MPI block until I get the check.

good times

edit:
oh and when did you order your AFC? as I hear, they are hard to come by...

DSMConvert is getting his second batch in. I dunno how many though, but I just talked with John on the phone and the list is not too long. Its a cheap mod for the driveability you get out of it. I will probably upgrade EMS once I forge. If you ever want to work on our cars, let me know. Good luck with the insurance thing.

fyi-for those intersted i am working on getting about 10 of these finished up right now if anyone is interested. i have not seen any problems with the maf up the 14psi on the stock turbo ~ 5000miles. i am working on getting a before and after dyno run on a stock msp and my own, so if u are interested in these, i will be taking orders in a couple weeks (with a vendor status of course).

jeffmsp said:
fyi-for those intersted i am working on getting about 10 of these finished up right now if anyone is interested. i have not seen any problems with the maf up the 14psi on the stock turbo ~ 5000miles. i am working on getting a before and after dyno run on a stock msp and my own, so if u are interested in these, i will be taking orders in a couple weeks (with a vendor status of course).

After 10psi I have heard the fins blow out. Luckily not many are running a ton of boost around here. Good luck with the design... I am guessing they will sell.

jeffmsp said:
cuanto dinero?

Projekt Tuner said:
Guess I'll have to test out the alternate method and see how that functions.. I wonder if there is a stronger version of the MAF we can acquire somehwere to make sure it can handle this kind of pressure. However.. thinking about it.. the only difference is instead of being sucked it will be pushed... prolly by about the same pressure level... hmmm I guess we'll see!

^^^ That and the fact that instead of pulling cold UN-OIL contaminated air past the element, you are blowing potentially hotter OIL contaminated air past the element.

R

Well I did it!! I put the MAF after the BOV and before the Throttle body.. I must say.. the throttle response is amazing now.. the car feels so much more stream-lined.. there is no hesitation and it pulls like a mother. I've been monitoring the A/F and have noticed a more consistent read!! Temperature sensor is also still on the cold pipe for anyone that's curious

Casopolis: I like the flywheels feel alot better in between shifts.. I can feel that slight little extra bite. Thanks for the great idea by the way!! (in actuality I had thought about this before, but was a little scared to be the first to do it, glad to see someone else is running okay with it.)

Rainman said:
^^^ That and the fact that instead of pulling cold UN-OIL contaminated air past the element, you are blowing potentially hotter OIL contaminated air past the element.

R

that was a concern of mine, as I pulled off the intake last night I checked the piping on the inside to make sure there was no oil in there. Along with that I'm buying a catch can this week so That will be installed by the weekend.

Projekt Tuner said:
Well I did it!! I put the MAF after the BOV and before the Throttle body.. I must say.. the throttle response is amazing now.. the car feels so much more stream-lined.. there is no hesitation and it pulls like a mother. I've been monitoring the A/F and have noticed a more consistent read!! Temperature sensor is also still on the cold pipe for anyone that's curious

Casopolis: I like the flywheels feel alot better in between shifts.. I can feel that slight little extra bite. Thanks for the great idea by the way!! (in actuality I had thought about this before, but was a little scared to be the first to do it, glad to see someone else is running okay with it.)

Congrats. We shall kill our MAF's together! I am hoping DSMConvert can develop a MAP setup for the MSP within a year or two. It seems there is no MAF replacement out there for the MSP.

PS give us pictures !

here are the pics.. and I'm not too worried about blowing out the MAF.. it's under the same pressure really.. just instead of a vacuum(sp?) it's a boost... I doubt it will hurt much, and if it does i'll go back to stock location

Attachments

• blow off intake.jpg
    blow off intake.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 501
  • new MAF.jpg
    new MAF.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 534
jeffmsp said:

I may be down that way on a road-trip home around that time. Keep me posted.

R

coupler

CasopoliS said:
I will be getting a new MAF eventually. Yes.... this setup will shorten the life-span of the MAF, but I have not heard of anyone killing their MAF with this setup yet. For right now, this one is working and my car is running better.

I just bought a 2" coupler at Lowes. It's ID is a bit small, but I am going to bore some of it out since it is thick. I will throw it in the oven to soften it up, and get it on the pipe. This way my heavy IC -> TB pipe won't be prone to pop out of the bottom of the MAF.

Good luck with the business Jeffmsp, I read through that thread.

I will take pictures of the final setup and post. The filter extension should be pretty cool. Ok time to get working!

Hey quick question, I wanted to change over to the blow by also but I have 2" piping and would need to cut and buy two reducers (2.75 - 2). I saw reducers at Lowes and was very tempted... Silicone is like $30 each... Would the rubber reducers/couplers work?

genius said:
Hey quick question, I wanted to change over to the blow by also but I have 2" piping and would need to cut and buy two reducers (2.75 - 2). I saw reducers at Lowes and was very tempted... Silicone is like $30 each... Would the rubber reducers/couplers work?

I never used the one I bought. What is 2.75 inches? I think the MAF was around 2.25" and my pipe was 2". My intake couplers (Injen) worked fine. Those would work though, but take a sample pipe in.... mine didn't fit.

peepsalot said:
My car bucks like a mofo sometimes after shifting when I'm in boost. I'm hoping this could alleviate that a bit.

Hurry, hurry, I want it I want it. (nervous)

I hear that. do you have a bpv?

Mine will even buck a bit when under full boost. The shift has to be fast though. I have got the Boost Sciences Reflex BPV.

The only way to FULLY alleviate the Buck would be to place the Blow off farther away from the MAF.. still getting a little metered air re-read but not as much as before... Hope this helps

Back