My new MAF setup + extra pictures

CasopoliS

Contributor
:
05 Legacy GT, 06 Accord SE, Civic
Moved the MAF. My setup is described in the first picture below. The car pulls like none other... and there isn't any hesitation. We will have to see how long the MAF lasts. A blow by MAF will be ordered just to make sure, and my Apexi air filter is next. I am extending the filter to the corner with an alum. extension, and drilling a hole in the extension for the IAT. I already have the extension (cut from CAI portion of the Injen). Thanks for lookin... still needs waxed.

turbosetup017nx.jpg

dscn0515medium8ss.jpg
dscn0516medium9bl.jpg

dscn0517medium3hk.jpg

dscn0518medium3cc.jpg

The IC -> TB pipe is crooked in this pic.... this was fixed by cutting the bracket that come off the engine. It was blocking the MAF from being straight. The bracket used to hold a vac line I think.... useless now. I am going to port cold air though the CAI hole with flex hose. It will go from the fog light hole up to the CAI hole to give my intake colder air.

dscn0519medium9sa.jpg

I am replacing the bottom coupler with a hump hose. The weight for the Hiboost pipe with the BOV wants to pull out of that bottom coupler.

dscn0520medium3qm.jpg

More shots... sorry 56k
I will be replacing that sexy garden hose with some silicone tube once I get the time. My vac lines will also be replaced... I found silicone hose the same color as my car. Boobies (boobs)

dscn0522medium9xn.jpg

dscn0523medium8zm.jpg

BY THE WAY... The MAF is larger than the HiBoost pipe... I had to wrap the pipe in electrical tape so the coupler had something better to clamp to. It is really close, but just a bit smaller.

Last edited:
Seems like everyone that has done this has got nothing but good results. Do you forsee any drawbacks to this over time? Did you reset the Ecu? How much boost are you running? OK no more questions, sorry.

I don't see a reason for you to run a dual BOV/BPV setup. You will not have any "Lag" because of a BOV. I've a lot of things over the year.

The only problem with running this setup is longevity of the MAF. Since it is on the pressure side of the turbo, it is subject to more stress than it was intended to take. This may shorten the lifespan of the MAF. Many people have wondered about this, but IIRC, nobody on the forum has stated that this setup has definitively killed their MAF.

An alternative is to run a larger cold-side MAF like Big Timm has done. However, I am not sure at what point this is a necessity (i.e. at what whp level).

R

would this affect your A/F readings? leaning it out a lil more? do you have a dyno showing them before. i so get a nother dyno with this setup to see if it affected you A/F readings.

I will be getting a new MAF eventually. Yes.... this setup will shorten the life-span of the MAF, but I have not heard of anyone killing their MAF with this setup yet. For right now, this one is working and my car is running better.

I just bought a 2" coupler at Lowes. It's ID is a bit small, but I am going to bore some of it out since it is thick. I will throw it in the oven to soften it up, and get it on the pipe. This way my heavy IC -> TB pipe won't be prone to pop out of the bottom of the MAF.

Good luck with the business Jeffmsp, I read through that thread.

I will take pictures of the final setup and post. The filter extension should be pretty cool. Ok time to get working!

ChiMSP said:
What where disatisfied with about your previous set up?

Hesitation, acceleration was not smooth. Poor gas mileage. Now I thought the gas mileage was something else.... but ever since I have moved the MAF, it seems to have gotten better. I did a lot of driving yesterday and the needle barely moved. Usually I could watch it drop as I drove down the highway, it was rediculous. We will see if that stays the same...

I just got everything connected good. I ended up still using the Injen couplers, I put the MAF in-line prior to putting the whole pipe in my car, allowing me to get it lined straight and connected tight. I reset the ECU again, took it on the back roads and did some runs. Then I drove it around normally. Everything seems to be going well. Now I just cant wait to get my AFC to complete the deal. Should run really nice after that.

After I get a house and married and all, I will eventually forge for security. I don't want my daily driver blowing up. So there is the update on my car. The car is so fun to drive, its got major balls! Well, other than the fact I can't let people sit in the back because my rear tires are wider than the fenders..... hahaha

what did you do with the plastic temperature sensor that plugs into the stock air box?

evolv said:
what did you do with the plastic temperature sensor that plugs into the stock air box?

Its dangling by filter right now. When I get another coupler, I am going to extend the intake so the filter is in the corner. In the extension will be a hole for the IAT.

CustomMSP said:
I don't see a reason for you to run a dual BOV/BPV setup. You will not have any "Lag" because of a BOV. I've a lot of things over the year.

It runs great now, so I will just keep the BPV in. Plus the BPV is new and I really don't want to sell it! The garden hose looks so good and all.....

Yeah, that filter is nice. I like mine :D. Looks good, flows good, easy maintenance. Got a decent deal at overboost.com for mine. The cheapest I could find it with 70mm falnge included.

That's by far the best filter you can get. Best flow, filtering, and you don't have to oil it.

As for the blow-through, I really like the idea and have thought about it for a while, but I've been scared about 2 things: 1.) The life of the MAF; and 2.) How it would effect the AFR's. I'd love to see a dyno run with the AFR's. The reason being is that MAFs heat an element and see how much the air cools it back down. Even though the same amount of air is flowing past it, it's denser (under pressure) and much hotter than on the cold side. Also, if you mount your IAT sensor on the cold side and your MAF on the hot side, the readings won't correspond. I'm not sure if that's a big deal to the ECU, but it would be nice to see some AFR's.

I had started a thread a while ago about using a GM blow-through MAF that DSMs switch to sometimes. It requires a converter for the ECU to read the sensor, but that setup is made for what you are doing, not to mention would give you more headroom for power. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a converter that works for our ECU yet. That's something that I would like to see... hint hint vendors.

CasopoliS said:
It runs great now, so I will just keep the BPV in. Plus the BPV is new and I really don't want to sell it! The garden hose looks so good and all.....
If you ever decide to sell, shoot me a pm.

Back