Excessive rear brake wear

Greg S

:
Mazda Protege5
Need to know if anyone has run in to this. I was doing the 60,000 mile check up on my wife's P5 and the rear inside pads were worn almost all the way down. I've never run in to this before and wonder if anyone knows what could be causing it?

probably she's been draging the rear tires, check the tention on the hand brake lever, it's probably just too tight, don't forget that just because the brake light isn't oinly, doesn't mean that the brakes were not engaged

That's what I thought might be the problem. I'll have to redo the tension on the e-brake.

does your car have ABS? I believe the electronnic brake distribution can cause the rears to wear first.

Maybe the rear bias screws are adjusted incorrectly? The FSM states that they should be tightened to touch the pad, then backed off 3/4 of a turn. To increase rea bias, back them off only 1/2 of a turn. to decrease rear bias, back them off a full turn. If they're set incorrectly, that may be a likely cause of them dragging, espesially if it's mostly on the inside.

hey there, the stock brake stink.... all my brakes are completely gone. However, i pull the e-brake to help the car come to complete stop from 80 or so. Yea, like other mention you might want to check the e-brake lever and the tension wire...............oh I am only at 33,000 miles on 02 p5.

Greg S said:
Need to know if anyone has run in to this. I was doing the 60,000 mile check up on my wife's P5 and the rear inside pads were worn almost all the way down. I've never run in to this before and wonder if anyone knows what could be causing it?
Have relined 100's of P5 rear brakes.....................most wear the inside pads down first on both rear wheels.....................if the outside pad is say 75% remaining and the inside is 5% ...............then you have a prob................but at 60k if the difference is only marginal .............thats the norm. Most single piston brake set-ups always wear the inside pads more because they are the first ones to contact the rotors..............then the caliper slides over on its anchors and forces the outter pad into the rotor. Brake systems with fixed calipers and multipal pistons wear the pads more evenly because the inner and outter pads move at the same time as you step on the pedal [both or all pistons move together applying even pressure to all pads] ...................nature of the beast............single piston calipers are cheap but not as efficient.

mastertech said:
Have relined 100's of P5 rear brakes.....................most wear the inside pads down first on both rear wheels.....................if the outside pad is say 75% remaining and the inside is 5% ...............then you have a prob................but at 60k if the difference is only marginal .............thats the norm. Most single piston brake set-ups always wear the inside pads more because they are the first ones to contact the rotors..............then the caliper slides over on its anchors and forces the outter pad into the rotor. Brake systems with fixed calipers and multipal pistons wear the pads more evenly because the inner and outter pads move at the same time as you step on the pedal [both or all pistons move together applying even pressure to all pads] ...................nature of the beast............single piston calipers are cheap but not as efficient.

Thanks mastertech,

It's the first problem, still had 50% on both inside adn outside fronts adn outside rear with the inside rears worn all the way down. Went and checked the e-break tension and it was fine, actually a little loose so I tightened it up to spec. Can't say if the rear tension was too tight or not, as I automatically backed them off to push the piston back for pad replacement. I do know it's set correctly now as I made sure of that. Any best guesses on why they were worn like that or is the rear bias the best bet? I also noticed that there were no springs to push the rears apart so apparently it's just using surface pressure from the disc. Is that correct?

Greg S said:

i think there has been a number of problems with the rear brakes going faster than the front when they should last two times longer.....

e-brake cable could be sticking. i sure would know if that was going on. my sisters rear pads went at 40K and the fronts still had peanty of meat on them.

she took it to the dealer and they replaced them......they went again beginning of last summer and they did them for free that time. she still had the factory front pads in. i replaced them mid summer......

My 4 calipers were siezed, my rear rotors and rear pads were finished. Got the 4 calipers greased and cleaned, and got the rear pads and rotors changed. My car has 38 000 km's.

Greg S said:
Thanks mastertech,

It's the first problem, still had 50% on both inside adn outside fronts adn outside rear with the inside rears worn all the way down. Went and checked the e-break tension and it was fine, actually a little loose so I tightened it up to spec. Can't say if the rear tension was too tight or not, as I automatically backed them off to push the piston back for pad replacement. I do know it's set correctly now as I made sure of that. Any best guesses on why they were worn like that or is the rear bias the best bet? I also noticed that there were no springs to push the rears apart so apparently it's just using surface pressure from the disc. Is that correct?
Tough to say what is causing your problem?????????? A dragging caliper should be easy to spot................how about your caliper sliders.......are they seizing \ bent .............this could cause the caliper to stick and not slide properly when the brakes are applied.................in turn not applying even pressure on the outside pad. Without having the vehicle to examin it is hard to say...................look for something common to both rear calipers. As for the rear pads there should be a spring in there to keep the pads off the rotors when they are not in use.

Back