MP3, MSP and P5 drivetrain differences...

marcksavoie

:
Mazda Protege5 2002
Hi!

This thread has some identity problems...

I will probably soon have 3 different drivetrains:

- The one from my stock Proteg5
- Engine/tranny/ECU from a wrecked MP3
- Engine/tranny/ECU from a wrecked mazdaspeed

My plan is to take from each engine everything that is best and sell one engine and keep one engine in case something goes wrong...

So:
What sould I keep from each engine?
For example. I know that the MP3 intake manifold does not have VTCS and the P5 does have it... What about the mazdaspeed engine? How about the radiator? Tranny (except from the LSD)? Clutch? And so forth...

Or is there some kind of web site with the explanation of the difference between the 3 drivetrains?

msp engine I belieive has the VTCS,msp has a differant clutch and lsd. P5 radiator I pretty sure is bigger than the msp. And like wise for the mp3. Unless you are boosted the ecu from the msp will do you no good. If you going to build for NA than the mp3 ecu is the way to go. Correct me if Im wrong though. Hope that helps.And as for help in the differance try this web www.search.com!! J/K

Thanks!

Maybe I can make it clearer:

What I want to do is to put in my P5 the complete msp drivetrain (engine, turbo, tranny with LCD, MSP ECU...). And then if removing the VTCS is better for the mazdaspeed engine, then I'll put the MP3 intake manifold on it and so forth.

I already have an MP3 ECU and will have another one with the MP3 drivetrain I bought this week end.

I bought the MP3 drivetrain this week-end and I wanted to build it to be more like the FS-ZE (jspec camshafts, 10.4:1 compression...) But then I saw a complete MSP turbo setup from a wrecker so I tought this will be a better deal then the NA MP3...

Any thoughts or tips?

Anyone has done the complete mazdaspeed proteg drivetrain swap in a Proteg5? What could (is) be problematic?

Marck

InFlames said:
bump...anyone?

I will soon be one of those who did this swap... I will soon install a complete drivetrain (engine/tranny/ECU) from a mazdaspeed in my P5. And I also add to this setup a fmic iON kit, a Injen CAI, greddy typeS BOV and stewart warner gauges to monitor activities!!

Anyway, if someone has tips before I do this installation they will be welcomed. If not... well I'll take notes! ;-)

InFlames said:
bump...anyone?

a few people have done this swap. basically it all bolts up but if you do it to an auto trans car and keep the auto trans you will need engine management.

One of out local guys here did the swap. he kept the auto trans tho, bad move, that trans cant handle boost. Also, you will need the MSP radiator unless you plan on a FMIC. The msp has a smaller radiator because it used a SMIC. Also you will have to get the sc compressor off a msp or make a part to reloacate your stock one on the p5. That too will getin the way with the plumming for the turbo on the MSP setup.

Ask away withh questions. I have a turbo MP3 and we have had 2 p5 turbos in our club and a few highly modded msp's

Frank

now here is a question to ponder...what is moe beneficial: doing a msp swap into a protege5 and modding that for more power or just modding the p5 engine? i know the swap + mods will be more money but is there a major difference (stock turbo setup aside) between a msp engine and p5 or regular protege engines? i know msp's have lsd and we dont so its not why i ask about driveshaft n the like.

Sell what you don't want and keep one and build it right while it is out, i.e. forged stuff and slight head work, and get a turbo set up.

N.A. is weak in these cars if you want my opinion.

I wish I never was in phaudio's car, now I think mine is slower than ever, which sucks, but that will be fixed.

P5s can be fast as hell, I plan on mine being a beast.

Thanks for all the replies! Here is what I did (will do):

- Sold all the MP3 stuff

- Bought a complete MSP drivetrain

- Bought a Injen CAI, iON fmic, greddy typeS BOV and some stewart warner gauges

- So I will put the MSP engine, tranny, ECU in my P5 and this will be a very good base! In the long run I will probably go for forged internals, but for now I don't have the cash to do this!

Marck

I would have went forged instead of the ION fmic, but thats just me. Good luck and keep us posted

Actually in my case, the ION fmic was not really an upgrade from stock... since I did'nt had the stock radiator and intercooler. Well I had them, but they were no good from the accident!

speed1016 said:
I would have went forged instead of the ION fmic, but thats just me. Good luck and keep us posted

Is it gonna cost you more to do this or do a mild turbo setup from someone else (MAM, hiboost, essentialspeed, etc.)?

Sounds cool, though. I was thinking about doing the same thing when I first got my P5.

Back