abs and brake warning lights

ad768

:
2002 Protege5
A couple of weeks ago my abs and brake lights came on. Since then they have come on and off, but always together.

Brake fluid level is okay, brakes appear to be working normally, abs has kicked in (even with light on).

I'll be taking it in to the dealer. Until then anyone have any idea what's going on?

Matthew
2002 Protege5, midnight blue, 83000km, man trans

Hi!

I had this problem (if this is the same one of course!) at around 80000km. This was due to an ABS sensor that was no good. When the warning light came on for the brakes, I tried to brake really hard and ABS did'nt worked... Maybe you can try this (be carefull though! ;-)

It was repaired at the dealer under warranty.

Hope this helps!

Marck

I don't have problem with the ABS, but my e-brake light comes on when I brake kinda hard. I took it to the shop where I got my car fixed after I crashed it, and they said that I need to change my brake pads. But when I took my car to get my brake pads, the guy said that it doesn't seem like I need to change it. What do you guys think? Should I take it to the dealer? Is the e-brake light come on when I need to change my brake??

I'm having the same problem (e-brake light comes on when braking hard) right now; my mechanic just said my pads and rotors were okay, so next stop is the dealer to see what's up.

[Edit: Well now, never mind -- turns out the brake fluid was a little low; they topped it off and I'm good to go.]

Last edited:
ad768 said:
A couple of weeks ago my abs and brake lights came on. Since then they have come on and off, but always together.

Brake fluid level is okay, brakes appear to be working normally, abs has kicked in (even with light on).

I'll be taking it in to the dealer. Until then anyone have any idea what's going on?

Matthew
2002 Protege5, midnight blue, 83000km, man trans

Welcome Matthew,

If you need a used sensor you can probably buy mine since I don't use my ABS.

And check out www.toprotege.com

Brakes

I dont know if this helps or not but mine did that when the pads were getting to there end, I replaced the pads and rotors and the light hasnt been back on mine since.....also just a note my old brake pads where worn but not completely, however I went ahead and replaced them and the rotors, at 48,000 miles. Works great now they have about 10,000 since I did the brakes and it only has a bit of jumping, but that cause I brake hard on the highways here in Florida.

This is too weird, I am having the same probelm, too! The e-brake light came on tonight when I was braking hard, then went off. I am going to check the brake fluid in the morning just to be sure, but I was told a month ago that the pads were wearing out.

My car has no ABS btw.

Just put on new pads all around, no more problem or light! The brakes also feel much more confident!

Weard thing is, i brought mine to the dealer 2 weeks ago for my oil change and they checked everything and they judge things off of RED, YELLOW and GREEN. My bakes came out GREEN. Now I can assume that if my pads ARE worn then the mechanic working on my car was just being LAZY and just checking boxes to get to the next car. If that's the case they have just lost my business, which is sad.

A week or so later my light started coming on (last week) and only goes on obviously when I'm decelerating. Appreciate the information.

Chris

I have been having the brake warning/failure light to come on during hard braking. The fluid level, in the brake fluid resevoir, is well within indicated acceptable limits. I suspect the problem will disappear temporarily by topping off the fluid level. There is entirely too much travel in the brake pedal, i.e. the "pedal is too long".

I contend that there is a fundamental design flaw in the MP5 brakes. Car just off the lot, I could press the brake pedal to the floor! I took it to the rude dealer service and they said it was fine. The problem was so bad, I went back to the dealer in my Honda and asked to test drive a MP5. The test car also had excessive brake pedal travel - I could press the pedal to the floor. I have advised Mazda and the US Highway Safety people.

This design flaw can easily be fixed with a properly chosen master cylinder, one with a larger bore cylinder. Mazda refuses to accept the fact that there is a serious design flaw in the MP5. I can only hope the the feds step in and require a recall and a fix before too many people are injured as a result of Mazda placing priority of bottom-line or profits over responsible design and owner saftey.

Fred

chriscrooz said:
Weard thing is, i brought mine to the dealer 2 weeks ago for my oil change and they checked everything and they judge things off of RED, YELLOW and GREEN. My bakes came out GREEN. Now I can assume that if my pads ARE worn then the mechanic working on my car was just being LAZY and just checking boxes to get to the next car. If that's the case they have just lost my business, which is sad.

A week or so later my light started coming on (last week) and only goes on obviously when I'm decelerating. Appreciate the information.

Chris

I could press the pedal to the floor
Either you have legs like a Russian shotputter, or there is air in the fluid. Never heard of any problem with properly maintained mp5 brakes, to be honest.

falsedawn said:
Either you have legs like a Russian shotputter, or there is air in the fluid. Never heard of any problem with properly maintained mp5 brakes, to be honest.

Please read with comprehension.

As I noted, the RUDE dealer drove the car and said it was performing as it should. I even returned to the dealer, posing as a prospective customer, so that I could drive a second MP5. Both cars have the same flaw. Now, someone might argue that it is a batch-process problem, but none the less, a problem and not a trivial problem.

properly maintained mp5 brakes

Think about it . . . Im talking about two (2) new cars on the lot. To bring up maintenance either shows a total lack of reading comprehension or part of the Mazda conspiracy to cover up this design flaw. An astute observer will recognize this without it being pointed out.

Fred

My car doesn't have that problem and the brakes are properly maintained. Yes, two cars on the same lot can have the same "problem".

ChefChris said:
I dont know if this helps or not but mine did that when the pads were getting to there end, I replaced the pads and rotors and the light hasnt been back on mine since.....also just a note my old brake pads where worn but not completely, however I went ahead and replaced them and the rotors, at 48,000 miles. Works great now they have about 10,000 since I did the brakes and it only has a bit of jumping, but that cause I brake hard on the highways here in Florida.
DAMN OLD PEOPLE!

Since my last post back in October 05, the light has never come back on again no matter how hard I brake. I check the brake fluid and it is fine. No issue of brake padal travelling too much either.

A side note, just because 2 new cars have the same problem doesn't mean it's a design flaw. Maybe, just maybe the brakes on both of them were not bled properly to start with?

Well, I took my car into Mazda in the fall for some service including installing my winter wheels and checking my ABS problem.

They told me the ABS problem might be due to my summer tires being worn too low, and to see how it is with the winter wheels.

I didn't believe them at first but I think they might be right. The ABS light almost never comes on anymore.

ad768 said:
The ABS light almost never comes on anymore.

It should only come on when you start the car and that's it. If it comes on at other times it means one of your ABS sensors is starting to fail.

funny, that happened to me this morning. but i dont brake hard (often). it was on for a while but turned off.

Back