Break-in period...

Hi All,

I know I should search the threads for this info, but I am at work and can't be surfing on the clock.

I just bought a brand new "3" 2.3L:
1) When should I do the first oil change after break-in?
2) Is it true that I shouldn't use synthetic oil until like 20k, so the moving parts seat correctly?
3) Is it true that I shouldn't use High-Octane gas during break in?

TIA

Ok, answers.

1) I left the factory fill in for 4K miles, which will also be my oil change interval.
2) That is an old wives tale. Feel free to use synthetic for your first oil change if you would like, the enigine will break-in just fine.
3) It doesn't matter what gas you use during break-in, but the 3 doesn't require hi-test. Using hi-test in a 3 is a waste of money, and the engine won't run any better for it.

Enjoy your new ride!

Syn oil

WalksInDarkness said:
Hi All,

I know I should search the threads for this info, but I am at work and can't be surfing on the clock.

2) Is it true that I shouldn't use synthetic oil until like 20k, so the moving parts seat correctly?

TIA
Don't worry about the synthetic oil, the 20W-30 it left the factory with
is semi-synthetic.

WalksInDarkness said:
Hi All,

TIA

1) as soon as you can 50-100km (by 60mi) i'd say
2) wait till about 10K then go synthetic
3) as they said, no need for premium gas, use regular (87octane) otherwise you're throwing $ away and potentially getting a WORSE mileage

to learn more about breaking your car in read this but then again.. you'll have as many opinions as users on this board.. have fun!

Last edited:
break in period???? whats that?????lol. like 15 minutes after i got mine off the lot i hit the speed limiter. i didnt know anything about a break in period at that time tho so if i had known then what i know now i probably wouldnt have been like that. oh well. too late now

mazda3zoom said:
break in period???? whats that?????lol. like 15 minutes after i got mine off the lot i hit the speed limiter. i didnt know anything about a break in period at that time tho so if i had known then what i know now i probably wouldnt have been like that. oh well. too late now

you just did yourself a favour :) :D

just read through the link i posted above..

alexlitov said:
Got any proof for this?

I say change your synthetic from the first time around 3k miles than stick to 5k interval for oil change.
I read about this somewhere on redlineoil.com, I believe. If not that one, then on a website of some other manufacturer of good oil...

Lol, actually what I read supports what you said. It was like 3K or less, just to get things moving a bit and seat the rings.

Back