where to/how much sound deadening?

:
07 F150 HD
figured I would start a new thread for this rather than stray OT in my other one....

summary: Where/how much sound deadening should I use? 5 layers in each door? 2 layers on the floor? no layers on the roof? etc etc....

chatty version:

Basically I have 60sq feet of raammat (60? the older stuff) and just bought another roll of the new bxt stuff. as I understand it I need to hit the doors hard with this stuff, the trunk, rear deck also....and also do the floor and roof. My questions at this point are how to go about applying the raammat, like on the doors for example should I reach in through the holes and put some on the outer skin? just cover the holes in the inner metal on the door like poseur did or what? And how many layers would be best for each area? Do I just rip all the plastic off, clean off that sticky stuff and dynamat or tak eit off carefully do certain areas, re-attach it?

Also when I put new components in the front doors should I create some kind of baffle behind the speaker or just put it in as is? maybe use 6.5" diameter plastic container as mold and make a couple single layer FG baffles?

If the tweeter for my components will not fit in the oem tweeter location are there some tricks to making it fit? or should I find another location like the pillar or the door panel? I imagine its not TOO difficult to flush mount a tweeter in a place like those since you just drill a hole X big and glue in the flush mount ring thing....

Also to get at the headliner I am assuming I have to remove the front pillars, do I have to remove the whole dash in order to get at those? From what I have heard that is a REAL bastard and if that is the case I might have to pass on deadening the roof...

heres some random pics for reference. Thanks as always for all the input..

backdoor.jpg

frontceil.jpg

frontdoor.jpg

Oh, and how are you supposed to get the door handle off when you remove the interior panel?

handle.jpg

LOL dude, you removed the door panels but didn't know how to to get the door open handle off? That's funny. :) To remove it, you need to push in the little brown/black tab away from the wire, it will pop out, the handle will then come loose.

In terms of sound deadening, it really is a personal choice all depends on how anal you are and how much you can put on the doors. I only dynamatted the areas around the door speakers and it already helped a lot. I would've done all the doors but I am sooo lazy. (yawn)

I only used a couple square feet in my hatch the quiet the exhaust. I don't like to add weight to the car. A really good full sound deadening job can add hundreds of pounds to a car.

should i take that foam off the roof and lay on the dynamat or leave the foam and put dynamat over it?

doesnt look like it would do anything as far as sound deadening goes but then again it is another layer...

Back