Difference between MP5 and MP5 drivetrain

marcksavoie

:
Mazda Protege5 2002
Difference between MP3 and MP5 drivetrain

Hi!

I would like if someone with knowledge about MP3 vs MP5 drivetrain would give me the differences. I know that the ECU and intake manifold arent the same, but is there anything else??

Is there a LSD on the MP3?

If I could have a complete drivetrain from a wrek MP3, but would like to keep my engine/transmission on my car, what would be the pieces I would take from the MP3 and transfer to my P5???

Thanks!

Marck

Last edited:
mountjonas said:
suspension?

Yes, and would the struts fit on my mazdaspeed coils on my P5?? Gee! I am going to have some kind of identity crisis with my car!! (laugh)

But aside of the suspension. What are the differences in the drivetrain??

Thanks!

uclap5 said:
steering rack is a good thing to pick up.

What I would like to do is gather as many pieces as possible from the mp3 engine and keep those as spare parts... And put whatever pieces that were different on the MP3 for performance (Intake manifold, ECU... more??) and install it on my P5. Then sell the engine block and transmission for couple hundred dollars.

Any suggestion of what to get??

Thanks,

Marck

If you only are looking for power, you only need the ECU. It will give you about a 10hp bump. I'm fairly sure that everything else is the same.

The steering rack is tigher, so it ups the fun quotient

it had come with a diff exhaust. that plus th ECU was the 10 hp. there is no LSD on the mp3. and the manifold is the same.

Matthew said:
it had come with a diff exhaust. that plus th ECU was the 10 hp. there is no LSD on the mp3. and the manifold is the same.

Are we sure about that?? I believed that the MP3 intake manifold did not have the VTCS and that the P5 did...

Do we know if the plastic cover over the valve cover would be bolt on or shoud switch the valve cover to?

alexlitov said:
Valve cover is different (MP3 got holes for the bolts)
ECU won't give you 10HP!!!

Yeah, this is probably confirming the VTCS thing... Probably ECU+VTCS removal on a FS-DE will bring the engine to the 140hp the MP3 has...

But I think that besides the HP rating, the feeling of the car is better with the MP3 chip...

Can't wait to install my ECU, Jspec cams + camgear, MP3 intake manifold... and so much more!! (laugh)

Pretzellogic said:
If you only are looking for power, you only need the ECU. It will give you about a 10hp bump. I'm fairly sure that everything else is the same.

The steering rack is tigher, so it ups the fun quotient

Pretzellogic, dood your car looks good...is that a Pro5?

The mp3 has a different transmission, I believe. But I don't think it's as good as the one in the P5. They had more problems evidently. Keep your transmission!

Pretzellogic said:
You would probably need to run premium gas to notice the difference, no?

Last edited:
DIM:

You're right about the premium gaz...

What I'll probably do is get what I need from the mp3 drivetrain and just sell the rest (Tranny, block)

Thanks!

Marck

Back