Final drive

SpeedBeaver

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
I noticed a couple of members had a shorter final drive... anyone has a link to a vendor's site for that?

Thanks.

Where have you noticed a few members who have changed the final drive? I don't recall anyone doing that off the top of my head.

It's already pretty short IMO.

I'm pretty sure I saw this here somewhere... just doing a search for "final drive" pops up a lot of non related infos.. it's hard to find.

Tall = numerically higher (ie - 4.7 is "taller" than 4.5). A taller final will accelerate faster, but will have a limited top-speed.

I think the MSP has a pretty tall final drive as it is, so I think he's looking for a numerically smaller FD ratio. I'm curious about this, too, since it might make all that torque a little more useful.

Spooled said:
Tall = numerically higher (ie - 4.7 is "taller" than 4.5). A taller final will accelerate faster, but will have a limited top-speed.

I think the MSP has a pretty tall final drive as it is, so I think he's looking for a numerically smaller FD ratio. I'm curious about this, too, since it might make all that torque a little more useful.

You have it reversed.

Tall = numerically lower. It will have a higher top speed, at the expense of acceleration.
Short = numerically higher. It will accelerate quicker, at the expense of top speed

Last edited:
jersey_emt said:
You have it reversed.

Tall = numerically lower. It will have a higher top speed, at the expense of acceleration.
Short = numerically higher. It will accelerate quicker, at the expense of top speed

Weird. I've always heard high-numbered rear-ends and FDs called "tall". I guess it's all about the circle you get it from.

Both ways make sense, though, because I think of what the RPM/speed graph would look like: a high number would create a steep/tall graph in comparison. But then again , you could say that a numerically high gear is short because you are in that gear for a shorter time.

Back