Throttle body coolant bypass

scorch70

:
2003.5 Black Mica Protege5, 2001 Black Z28
Hi guys, I just did the TB coolant bypass, and just wanted to share some pics I took during the process. I was also doing the TB thermal spacer at the same time, so I took my TB all the way off, but you dont have to do that if you just want to stop the engine coolant from going thru the TB. There are two hoses coming from the engine to the TB that run coolant thru it, to help with emissions and warming up the engine. But this also warms up the air coming in to the engine, which is a bad thing. All you need to do is get a 3.8 in I/D coupler from Home Depot (in the plumbing section) and run the hoses together. See pic 1 for the part that you need from home depot. I jacked the pic from this thread

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71052&page=2&pp=15

Because I didnt take a pic of the bag. Oops, but I will give credit to Protege_Speed for the pic. There is more info on this mod in that thread if you are interested.

Attachments

• Coolant Bypass Install 009.jpg
    Coolant Bypass Install 009.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Rest of the pics

Here are the rest of the pics for this mod. Its really not too hard, but might be difficult if you have big hands. In one of the pics, I show the TB removed from the car. In this one, you can see the fittings that the coolant hoses connect to, on the left hand side of the TB.

I hope this helps, and just post if you have any questions and I will try to answer them. 30 minutes tops, and you will be done.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. Once you put the coupler in the hoses, the old clamps will no longer fit (as you can see from the first pic below). You will need some small screw type clamps to make sure the hoses stay put.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 991
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 487
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:
Bump for the morning crowd

Bump.

Also mods, if you find it worthy, maybe you could move this to the how-to section? I havent looked, there may already be a how-to thread on this.

Idle

Hi Everyone, Ive driven the car for a week since i did the TB coolant bypass, and I think it may have affected my idle. I came to a stop light this week, and it almost went dead. I gave it some gas, and it seemed to be fine for the rest of the trip. My car has never had a problem idling before, so I assume that this mod may have done it (i guess it could be bad gas as well). I will keep an eye on it from now on.

As for any gains, I cant really tell any. It may show a little more during the summer months, we will see.

just fyi,

free: tb coolant bypass

i bought the fitting and then noticed that on my 1.6l zm motor that one cooland line was longer than the other one and the lines both came from near each other i use the shorter one first and it had a small kink in so i changed it to the longer one and it fit with no kinks and since you are not adding any thing different the factory clamps fit. i then took it for a thrash and it did not leak or run hotter than normal and i could not believe the differance in temp between the TB from before mind you it was a night drive but the TB was actually cold to the touch.

hope it helps anyone

scorch70 said:
Hi Everyone, Ive driven the car for a week since i did the TB coolant bypass, and I think it may have affected my idle. I came to a stop light this week, and it almost went dead. I gave it some gas, and it seemed to be fine for the rest of the trip. My car has never had a problem idling before, so I assume that this mod may have done it (i guess it could be bad gas as well). I will keep an eye on it from now on.

As for any gains, I cant really tell any. It may show a little more during the summer months, we will see.

just fyi,
You could have introduced a vacuum leak from putting that spacer on your TB. Do you have a gasket on each side fo the spacer? I'm pretty sure I have a vac leak on my intake manifold somewhere, just haven't had the time tio fix it.

peepsalot said:
You could have introduced a vacuum leak from putting that spacer on your TB. Do you have a gasket on each side fo the spacer? I'm pretty sure I have a vac leak on my intake manifold somewhere, just haven't had the time tio fix it.

Thats possible Peeps. I just used a gasket on one side (the intake manifold side I think).

Car does seem to idle strangely now. Today was the first +80 degree F day I have driven it, and it was a little jumpy. But it didnt try to die on me, so I can handle it.

scorch70 said:
Thats possible Peeps. I just used a gasket on one side (the intake manifold side I think).

Car does seem to idle strangely now. Today was the first +80 degree F day I have driven it, and it was a little jumpy. But it didnt try to die on me, so I can handle it.
You are describing exactly what happened to me. I took off my TB to port it out and the gasket broke.. I got lazy and didnt clean it all the way off (It was stuck on the Intake Mani.) Car idled all over the place.. died out..
You need to put gaskets on there.

Nutari said:
You are describing exactly what happened to me. I took off my TB to port it out and the gasket broke.. I got lazy and didnt clean it all the way off (It was stuck on the Intake Mani.) Car idled all over the place.. died out..
You need to put gaskets on there.

Crap. Oh well, back to the garage. I really dont mind working on my car, but Im too damn short to stretch back to the back of the engine! I need to start drinking more milk (or maybe beer). :)

this is cool, i think i might do this here shortly. question though, what about during cold winter months, does this not help to stabilize the air temp that flows through the engine? or am i thinking wrong here.

I did this mod about 20k kms ago along with both the TB and IM spacers. Drove it all through winter this year with temps dipping well below -20c and never had one single problem. No idling problems either, however I replaced all the gaskets and also used sealant as an extra precaution. Both the intake piping and IM still cool to the touch now even after hours of driving.

DevilsSi1481 said:
after doing the mod, what do u do about the fittings on the TB?

i just put the other hose on it just to keep any unwanted dirt and grim out

CrazyCaker said:
I did this mod about 20k kms ago along with both the TB and IM spacers. Drove it all through winter this year with temps dipping well below -20c and never had one single problem. No idling problems either, however I replaced all the gaskets and also used sealant as an extra precaution. Both the intake piping and IM still cool to the touch now even after hours of driving.
anyone know wherere i could get these gaskets, the intake and the throttle body.

whats the point of this TB spacer? and do you have to remove the IM to connect those two lines together? I want to do this to help keep the incoming air colder but don't want to remove the intake manifold

pb4ugoout said:
whats the point of this TB spacer? and do you have to remove the IM to connect those two lines together? I want to do this to help keep the incoming air colder but don't want to remove the intake manifold

Purpose of the TB bypass and the TB spacer mods are to keep intake air temps down as low as possible. Cooler temps = more air = more power. Supposedly anyway. No removal of the IM is needed to do the TB bypass or the TB spacer. Only reason you would remove the IM is if you wanted to put the IM spacer on as well, which I plan to do soon.

HTH,

I was installing a rear motor mount today, having already done the coolant bypass mod. I was using a fitting like teh one in the first post. The coolant lines for it always seemed to be in my way, and I got tired of it. It turns out you can just remove one line and the other line is long enough to reach where the first one went. So instead of using a brass fitting another option is to just remove one of the lines, and reroute the other to its spot.

Back