350Z - thinking of buying/leasing - advice?

Micah

350z - I Got It

I'm thinking of picking up the 350z.

What do you people think of the car?

I was going to make a huge post - but most of you won't want to read it. I'll post the long post about last nights test drive as a reply to this.

edit: I GOT IT :) Very fun car. so far 109miles. Behaving for break-in of 1200 miles. Well, kinda. Had my first "kill" last night. Early 90's Mustang GT, exhaust and who knows what else if anything. Kid kept following me, finally I let my cock hit the gas and went from a roll at 20 up to 50. Put a car length between us, even then, didn't really push it too hard.

This is by far the nicest car I've owned yet. Not the nicest I've driven, that honor goes to a few exotics I had the fortune of driving years ago. I'm keeping the protege for the utility of a four door, and bad weather days. I'll try to get some pics today if someone wants to see. Although really, it's just a 2005 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast. Not exactly hard to find pics online.

Last edited:
Ok, so I wasn't going to post about this...

Last night I took my step-bro to pick up his truck at Pine Belt Nissan on route 36. While he was picking up his truck, I started wandering the lot. I found a Spec-V and thought it looked kind of kewl. I liked the seats - they reminded me a bit of the skylines (shudder - yeah, I'm sad to admit it, but I too lust for the skyline...hanging head in shame). So I took it for a test drive (alone!).

Fun little car, it has ******* torque steer. I wasn't expecting that. One, it's NA, two it's not making much horsepower (175HP and they dyno around 145whp if memory serves), and three it has an LSD and an improved suspension over stock. The audio system sounds alright, interior room is good. Quieter ride than my Protege. The fog lights actually work noticably well - unlike the fogs on my ES which are the equivalent of running lights. Talked to them about trading in my car, and got them to agree to give me 7500 for my 2002 Protege ES with 45,000 miles on it. The car is $20,060. Payments would have come out to roughly 300/month for 5 years. I liked it, but honestly not enough. They kept pushing - I kept being myself, that is - I don't react much. Salesman's name was Vito. He's probably about my age. Seems to know the cars fairly well. I'm a geek who surfs the web all day everyday and researches anything that I'm interested in, so I know most of the stuff about the car. Vito seems kewl - he's out to make a buck, I'm out to steal a car for as low of a price as I can get.

So we kept talking, and eventually I ended up looking at a 350Z. They have a used one that they are asking too much for. Still, I could try to talk them down I thought. So I go take a look. It's parked on the grass, it's a 2003 Nissan 350Z with 15,000 miles. Enthusiast package - 6 speed. They want $25,700 for it. (searches this morning on showauto.com revealed prices about 4k less for a like model) So I ask to take it for a test drive.

Now here is where the fun begins. I'm off work - I haven't got jack s*** to do. Just planning to go home and watch the O.C. because I like the show - and they are going to be showing the trailer for episode III tonight. But it's not a big deal if I miss it, my PVR will record it. So - I've got all the time in the world.

The car is parked on the grass, and there is a little bit of a steep decline. Steep decline + low profile vehicle = VITO SWAMPS IT. The car is stuck on the rear axel. They try pushing, they try putting wooden planks under the car. They try all sorts of stuff, but the car ain't moving. I'm out there, they are giving me Soda (blackberry Canada Dry - good stuff) and hot chocoate (burned my tongue a little as usual), and I can tell that Vito's boss is going to kick his ass the first chance he gets. I feel bad, but - what can I do. They end up calling a tow truck and use a strap around the tire with a winch to pull it out. I finally get my test drive.

So - I'm out there in the car, waiting for traffic and looking at the dash. Center mounted tach - prominently sized compared to the other gauges. Kewl, but annoying. I keep looking at it instead of the speedo. I pull out. It's quiet. I brake the tires loose in 2nd gear and scare myself a little. I've driven a z-06, and the exhaust note of that car instills some fear in you. Not so in the 350z. I didn't hear it, so I kept applying throttle. So I take it up and down the road. Punching it in a few gears and then turning off into a parking lot to see how it handels being tossed side to side. True to what I've read - it feels pretty good. Not as sticky as an MP3, but still pretty tight. The seats are comfortable, even with my winter jacket on. Radio sounds good - climate controls seem right enough to work. Nice car.

I take it back. Start working the numbers. They are trying to get me to take this car home tonight. I tell them that I bought my protege on impulse - and I'm not doing it again. I'm talking to the manager and he's very nice - you can tell he's good at what he does. I tell him firmly and plainly that I will be back tommorrow.

The final deal I walk out on that night is financing at 6.9% for the 25,700. This works out to 518/month. This is also with me getting 7k for my trade. I tell them that insurance is really the deal breaker, and I'm out of there.

I look online and find that I can purchase a similar car (year, trim, mileage) for about 4k less. But when I call each dealership - the car is already sold. I call Hanover - my insurance company.

Currently I'm paying $2500 or so per year for full coverage with a $500 deduct. Keeping the same coverage on the 350Z would push me up $381.50 per year bringing my total to 2841.12. If I choose to keep the protege, my insurance would be 1379.94 more per year bringing my total to 3837.56.

Now I'm thinking about a lease. This allows me to have a new car - be done with it in 3 years and go for something else. I'll keep the protege, for days when I need the ultility of a 4-door, and to keep the mileage down on the 350z.

I had one for 9 months. don't get it! unless you just like the look of it and Don't get anyone but the track edition. Traction control is a killer. Track you can turn it off. also get only a stick. auto sucks. I had the track. the brembos are awesome though. can stop on a dime!

Save you money for a porsche cerarra (sp?)

Last edited:
Hey good read. Interesting. Everyone around me here at work did not appreatiate(sp) me while I read the 350 getting stuck....lol

I like the 350 except for when I want to put my arm out the window. The belt line is way high on those cars. Nice balls though.

computerGeek said:
I had one for 9 months. don't get it! unless you just like the look of it and Don't get anyone but the track edition. Traction control is a killer. Track you can turn it off. also get only a stick. manual sucks. I had the track. the brembos are awesome though. can stop on a dime!

Save you money for a porsche cerarra (sp?)

Manual sucks? huh? (silly)

I need to see how much more the G35 would be. I'm planning on keeping my protege, so the backseat option really isn't that big of a deal.

Porsche is my dream car, but not the boxter. If I get a porsche, I want something powerful. My retirement when I'm older will involve a porsche - and yes, I do intend to be buried in it. (More than likely I'll do the job myself when I drive it off a cliff and manage to bury myself and the car a few feet into the dirt below)

TCS does suck, but at the the same time, it does assure I behave myself a little more (than I would like).

I'm 27, maybe this is my midlife crisis, but I can afford it, and I really just want something fun. If tossing away 18 grand over the course of 3 years is what it takes - I'm ok with that.... I think.

I dunno - still considering all sorts of things. s***, part of me wants a house, but then when I look at the financial constraints of a house(upkeep, taxes) vs. the financial benefits of owning a house(tax writeoff, eventually owning it). Yes, I am pissing away money on rent, but it's less money per month, and I have the freedom of moving anytime I want.

Keep those replies coming!

I edited the manual to auto, sorry.

TCS in the track is a push of a button for on and off. It makes a world of difference on the qick starts off a line. there is alot of power to the wheel (rear) and you just can't help to spin them. when they slip the TCS kicks in and there goes your launch.

I was 26 when i had mine. It was my car before this one, the MSP. I traded it in because the 01 had a bad front suspension and it was eating tires every 6 months and at 280 per tire on the track that was alot of maintenance for a 36K car.

Lucky you you will have 2 cars because the trunk of a Z can barely hold a duffle bag. It is also a gas guzzler at 21 MPG on average and 93 octane.

In all seriousness i would buy a house. because after you buy a house in 3 years (at 30) you can sell it and take the equity your earned and buy a new house and a porsche. I speak from experience on buying a toy on impulse and now i am paying 26K on a 17K car (Negative equity) Cars depreciate, houses buy you more houses and toys.

Remeber when buying a car it isn't just insurance and MSRP. Its gas, Maintenance, Tires, etc.

Best of luck to you!!

if you're getting a porsche, do it right.. get an aircooled (pre 1997) 911. You and I share the same dream apparently. hehe.

look into a g35 and ditch the protege for a cheap pick up truck... that should lower insurance and the g35 is a great car.

Side question is there a trunk pop?

trunk pop in 350Z is a impossible to find and pull tab/cable thingy under the rear strut tower. It blows and hurts like hell to grab. I just used the key remote to pop it.

computerGeek said:
I edited the manual to auto, sorry.

TCS in the track is a push of a button for on and off. It makes a world of difference on the qick starts off a line. there is alot of power to the wheel (rear) and you just can't help to spin them. when they slip the TCS kicks in and there goes your launch.

I was 26 when i had mine. It was my car before this one, the MSP. I traded it in because the 01 had a bad front suspension and it was eating tires every 6 months and at 280 per tire on the track that was alot of maintenance for a 36K car.

Lucky you you will have 2 cars because the trunk of a Z can barely hold a duffle bag. It is also a gas guzzler at 21 MPG on average and 93 octane.

In all seriousness i would buy a house. because after you buy a house in 3 years (at 30) you can sell it and take the equity your earned and buy a new house and a porsche. I speak from experience on buying a toy on impulse and now i am paying 26K on a 17K car (Negative equity) Cars depreciate, houses buy you more houses and toys.

Remeber when buying a car it isn't just insurance and MSRP. Its gas, Maintenance, Tires, etc.

Best of luck to you!!

Here's the way I'm looking at the house thing. I work 70 hours a week. I don't know how long I'll be doing this. In all honesty I have no plans of stopping, I'm still hanging out with friends and having fun. So it's not a quality of life issue. However, I can commit to the car with a lease or finanance for 3-5 years and it's not too big a deal. The house - while it will build equity - and do amazing things for my credit - it really isn't going to make me happy. I am not home often, if I am - I'm asleep, on the couch, or on the treadmill. Maintenance and yardwork are not something I look forward to. Growing up we had 2 acres of land, and an old Sears push mower. Mowing the lawn was nothing compared to raking leaves in the fall though. (looking back I put in more effort defying my father trying to avoid yardwork, then actually doing yardwork - fond memories of childhood)

Property taxes, house upkeep, and home owners insurance are not offset much by the tax write-off. However, the equity built over a decade is truly great. Again though - contrast that to the actual costs of owning a home.
I'm fairly sure that owning a home really is the more solid financial decision. Hell, I know it is.

The thing is, I want to have some fun. Namely a fun car. Aside from my z-28, I've had tame cars. I'm not going to be upside down. I already owe less than what I can get on a trade in. My bills are pretty low. I have two jobs with salaries that are pretty close. I could quit one job and still make all my bills.

Granted, picking up the lease - tightens the belt if I was down to one job. But I spend 100 a month on dsl (speakeasy osdn), about the same on cable (every channel), $25 on Vonage, and roughly 300 on dvd's (some would say I have a problem - we refer to those people as "norms"). Arguably I could just go back to Cable, do the "triple play deal"(30x3 for cable, voip, & internet through optimum) and stop buying so many dvd's every week. I'd have dropped all the above expenses down from 525 to 90 (plus whatever I drop on dvd's).

As far as maintenance goes - two of my close friends are mechanics, and they take good care of me.

Dude don't rush to bash the Boxster. The S model has more than enough power, plus you can mod it. Also it's mid engined, easier to drive fast over all than a rear engine car. My father has a 98 NON S and it's real nice. Very good power, nice cornering ability. Very nutral(sp) car.

House -
I kinda disagree but I see your points about maintenance.
There is nothing like coming home and looking around and saying , yup this is mine.

My buddy has a 6spd Z with a LSD, not base model but not track. I love the car and would love to own one if I could keep the Protege for utility and practicality.

A house would be a much better investment but if you feel the need to keep mobility as an option its probably better for you to have a toy until you decide to settle down somewhere. Figure out where you want to be in 3-5 years and see which investment makes the most sense long-term.

II-Savy said:
Dude don't rush to bash the Boxster. The S model has more than enough power, plus you can mod it. Also it's mid engined, easier to drive fast over all than a rear engine car. My father has a 98 NON S and it's real nice. Very good power, nice cornering ability. Very nutral(sp) car.

Yes, but the boxter starts at 11k more and the S at 20k more. Plus, I can't see myself living in an apartment driving a porsche. I can sort of rationalize owning my protege and leasing the 350Z while living in an apartment.

Micah said:
Yes, but the boxter starts at 11k more and the S at 20k more. Plus, I can't see myself living in an apartment driving a porsche. I can sort of rationalize owning my protege and leasing the 350Z while living in an apartment.

Agree -
I was kinda thinking of the fact that my pop got one for like 25k with 30k on it. MINT condition. I hear ya though.

i dorve the 350z but ultimately decided to buy the RX-8. I just wasnt a huge fan of the Z's handling. It wasnt bad, but not as good as the 8. OF course, i would love to have the gas mileage of the Z.

mx3ownzj00 said:
My buddy has a 6spd Z with a LSD, not base model but not track. I love the car and would love to own one if I could keep the Protege for utility and practicality.

A house would be a much better investment but if you feel the need to keep mobility as an option its probably better for you to have a toy until you decide to settle down somewhere. Figure out where you want to be in 3-5 years and see which investment makes the most sense long-term.

Yep, you just hit the nail on the head. I really have no clue what the hell I want to do with my life. Most likely I'll stay in NJ - but I want to keep my options open for now.

Oh, and I think I've settled on the Touring model. Vito (salesguy) said they have some deal running with Nissan on it. Color will be Blue or Silverstone. Not set in stone yet - but I'm sure thinking about it alot.

It's a shame the Bose audio doesn't do mp3 playback.

I've been building cars with www.carsdirect.com and using the residual calc on www.cars.com . My friend Ben has leased a ton of cars mostly lexus. He knows the stuff about dollar factor and bank percentages. I was on the phone with my salesperson earlier and my friend Ben was telling me what to say. I could kind of tell I was taking the wind out of the salesguys sail when I told him the invoice price on the car. I told him not for nothing, I intend to get the best deal I can get on the car. Vito is on his day off, so he's going to call me tommorrow afternoon - and then Monday we are going to try to work a deal.

I'm thinking Blue Touring edition (18" rims and I can turn off the VDC and TCS, heated power seats, etc) just a matter of seeing where the lease payments end up.

**********HOLY s**************
i JuST GoT a CaLL FRoM MY ReCRuiTeR - MY WeeKeND JoB JuST GaVe Me a RaiSe ($2/hr). THiS iS CoMPLeTeLY uNeXPeCTeD aS i JuST GoT a $3/hr RaiSe LaST MoNTH.
yep, so exited, I used LeeTCaSiNG

Back