cheap, effective mods...

grcuadros

what are some good, relatively cheap mods i can do. right now i just have a turbo timer, boost gauge, mbc, and fmic. i plan on getting a custom shift boot, short shifter, and an AFC in the coming months. im looking for some small mods, below $200 or so that make a good difference in driveability and such. any suggestions? thanks.

Hookedup240 said:
motor mounts are a good idea to get, also downpipe

good call.

front and motor mounts combined are about 130. (take into account that the rear mounts is an absolute b**** to install, so maybe factor in cost to put in).

a catless dp can be had for 100-200 dollars, catted from around 225 - 400.

when you get the ss, get the shifter bushings (kartboy) and some redline mt-90 tranny fluid.

warrier04 said:
when you get the ss, get the shifter bushings (kartboy) and some redline mt-90 tranny fluid.

Is that tranny fluid synthetic? Whats the big deal about it? I need change the tranny fluid so this might be another thing I can do soon.

Matt

MazdaSpeed0020 said:
Is that tranny fluid synthetic? Whats the big deal about it? I need change the tranny fluid so this might be another thing I can do soon.

Matt

it's not a day-and-night change, but it does help - and yes, it's synthetic.

warrier04 said:
it's not a day-and-night change, but it does help - and yes, it's synthetic.

Where would be the best place to pick this stuff up because I have not seen it at any of my local auto part stores.

Matt

I thought I read that this tranny fluid isn't good for our synchros...

Or I could just be acting like a noob...

MazdaSpeed0020 said:
Where would be the best place to pick this stuff up because I have not seen it at any of my local auto part stores.

Matt

i actually just did a google search, and went with the cheapest site. it's not too hard. any decent car parts site should do.

peepsalot said:
mt-90 works for me, about 10k with it in so far.

same here. you might get a faint whine from the tranny, but it's nothing to be worried about.

Has anyone else had any problems with the MT-90? Would people suggest going with this tranny fluid or another kind? Im going to be changing mine out today and just wanna get some input.

Matt

I went to every auto parts store here in my town, and went to a specialty shop and no one has the MT-90. Anyone have any links as to where I could pick some up?

Matt

MazdaSpeed0020 said:
I went to every auto parts store here in my town, and went to a specialty shop and no one has the MT-90. Anyone have any links as to where I could pick some up?

Matt

http://www.soloperformance.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=22&productID=859

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/rl_transfluid.htm

http://redlineoil.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/45590/50304

i guess just check out those sites and see what they do about shipping .. just to give you the lowest overall price.

i think to fully replace the fluid that you have now, you should pick up 3 bottles.

what are your plans for the car?

if you want to keep things in your current HP range you may just want to ditch your cats(about $50 to have a testpipe made), if your looking for 220-250hp a 2.5" Downpipe is a must and if you have bigger plans you will need 3"+. either way, you are gonna get good bang for the performance.

Last edited:
will you see any gains from just an aftermarket downpipe? (assuming by downpipe you mean a downpipe, like what corksport is releasing J and S)

I might get one if it would be noticable but I like the stock sound of the msp and the look of the stock muffler so I dont want to do a whole exhaust system

You are better of get a custom downpipe, its after the S pipe all the way to muffler, I got my done $380 with Magaflow Cat, without cat you can get it for about 300.
I feel a lot of power after the downpipe!!!

so you are not talking about a downpipe then but rather a s-pipe and midpipe? just missing the J and catback?

How much boost are you planning to run? cuz I have a solution for +2psi for a cheap 3-5$ that a fellow french canadian cane up with.

slug420 said:
so you are not talking about a downpipe then but rather a s-pipe and midpipe? just missing the J and catback?

I am talking about S-pipe back, that means J, Mid, Cat and Catback.

A midpipe like the Apex (replaces the J pipe and cat section) is an excellent mod.

Back