Bike roof rack...go stock or after market?

GNsPR5

Contributor
:
2007 MazdaSpeed3 GT
I need feedback if anyone has installed the Mazda Bike rack bracket or if they have gone to aftermarket like a Thule rack or something else?

I want to get back to mountain biking and I sold my trunk bike rack with my last car.....Any thoughts as well on going bike rack on the back or on the bumper instead.

Feedback ...feaadback....gimme some....(scratch)

What about Yakima and the LoadWarrior roof rack? Any ideas on that one? Their website says this will fit the P5.

Last edited:
I prefer the fork mount option. I see the Yakima LoadWarrior is a basket, and not a true bike rack. Thanks AlexMack for the heads up.

Again, thanks for the tip. I'm gonna head to Peter Glenn and purchase the velo vise, unless you know of a good online dealer or discount location? I'm in South Florida. (Land of a thousand speed bumps)

prices with thule and yakima hardware usually dont vary much in pricing due to retail pricing from the company, so with that in mind your local dealer will have decent pricing..

<font color="#000080">Thule All the Way! I've got the <a href="http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=899xt">Big Mouth Upright</a></font> :D

i got the thule rack...here's what it looks like

IMG_0016.JPG

Img_0015.jpg

Img_0017.jpg

Img_0018.jpg

Img_0019.jpg

Excellent pics banned bandit. Now I have an idea of the look of the Thule. I agree with joshyellomp3 though, the fairing would be a good buy. I guess I have my Christmas list completed now. And I can finally get in some Mountain biking!!! Woo hoo!!!

banned bandit,

Is there a reason why you didnt buy the mazda (thule) rack that bolts on the roof? Thats what i bought..i just like the fact that i don't have clips running in the doors.

I installed two of the Mazda factory bikes racks--part #0000-8L-GO1-- on my 2003 Protege 5. Easy to do, and they work great.

The Mazda units are actually Yakima LockJaws. They fit right on the Protege 5's standard roof rack using Mazda's special "Bike Attachment Bracket"--part # 0000-8L-JO1.

I did have to reverse the front and back carrier bars of the roof rack to make things work. 2003 Protege 5s come with a rubber molding that's not compatible with the front bike attachment bracket.

Also, be careful to position the rack so as not to impede opening the rear hatch and in my case--the moonroof.

One thing I like about the factory bike rack is that I don't have to take the front wheel off my bike.

In another post, someone mentioned a "wind farring." What's that?

Warning about the Thule 889 fork mount rack: When installed the hatch can't open all the way without hitting the back of the rack.

Since the 899 sits more forward it won't interfere with the hatch opening.

Warning about the Thule 889 fork mount rack: When installed the hatch can't open all the way without hitting the back of the rack.

Not a problem with the candian rack..the front bar sits right on top of the moonroof.

bike attachment

THANK YOU scwashdc .... I was struggling with mounting the bike attachment for my new 2003 P5 and your mention of reversing the crossbars on the roof rack did the trick. I have just finished mounting the first of two bike attachments which I bought thru the dealer. I found this site thru a search and now have registered as a user. I will continue to monitor this site. Oh by the way, I am still waiting to hear back from my dealer which I asked for assistance! Thanks again.

I've been using a full Yakima rack w/ steelheads for 2+ years now, no hatch clearance problems or any other problems what-so-evar, except for wind noise.

Back