Brake Flush @ 53k miles

veedub6

:
Mazda CX-5
I think it's been overdue, original brake fluid. Use a brake fluid tester, showed 2% water.

ZUrxd8Sh.jpg

I think it's been overdue, original brake fluid. Use a brake fluid tester, showed 2% water.
Just did the FIRST brake fluid flush on my 182,532-mile 1998 Honda CR-V with Honda genuine HG DOT 3 brake fluid while replacing brake pads、rotors、shoes、and drums. Color wise the original brake fluid flushed out is not much darker than fresh brake fluid. I should have done the testing on old fluid and see the moisture level.

I used old-fashioned 2-man manual brake fluid flush method, with my son's help ⋯ :)

BTW, the reason why I waited so long to replace the brake fluid on CR-V, is Honda doesn't specify a brake fluid replacement schedule like Mazda. And it's a hassle to handle the brake fluid as it's corrosive which will damage the paint. I'd to hose plenty of water to clean the area for some spill during the 2-man flush process.

The tolerances in the ABS/VSC components are extremely fine so I would recommend changing the fluid every 2 years. Not as important on early vehicles but these newer vehicles are extremely expensive if the internals get damaged by moisture.

I had about 60k/6 years on my fluid and thats about how it looked. That was the first time I had ever flushed brake fluid and didnt know it was that simple. Ill be doing it every 2 years for now on.

Just did the FIRST brake fluid flush on my 182,532-mile 1998 Honda CR-V with Honda genuine HG DOT 3 brake fluid while replacing brake pads、rotors、shoes、and drums. Color wise the original brake fluid flushed out is not much darker than fresh brake fluid. I should have done the testing on old fluid and see the moisture level.

I used old-fashioned 2-man manual brake fluid flush method, with my son's help ⋯ :)

Yes, would have been interesting to see the % of H2O in the 98 Honda. Do not get hung up on the color, as that only shows you all the materials that have leached into the fluid from the degrading part surfaces, and is not any indicator of the H2O content.

The tolerances in the ABS/VSC components are extremely fine so I would recommend changing the fluid every 2 years. Not as important on early vehicles but these newer vehicles are extremely expensive if the internals get damaged by moisture.

This is why im letting the dealer do mine. Any messups, are their issue. Ill gladly pay the premium to avoid responsibility.

I would also be interested in the Motiv adapter, please let us know when it's available.

Order of bleeding calipers: RR -> LR -> RF -> LF

I would also be interested in the Motiv adapter, please let us know when it's available.

I will post if I hear about it before someone else.

Makes process so clean, convenient and easy to do by one person.

I'm swapping my front brake pads and hardware tomorrow so flush will finish this maintenance task for a while.

Did both of mine at ~40K/ 3 and 4 years. Kid was pumping the pedal. Was not bad at all. Replaced with really good fluid.

Did both of mine at ~40K/ 3 and 4 years. Kid was pumping the pedal. Was not bad at all. Replaced with really good fluid.
If the memory serves me correctly, madar had some seepage issue on bleeding valve after he bled the brake system and had to get new valve on his VW? I found one of the bleeding valve was doing the same on my CR-V several days after I changed the brake fluid although I did check at the time making sure there*s no seepage. New bleeding valves were ordered for my CR-V as I tightened the valve a little more but the leakage was worse. I havent received the bleeding valves but I loosed the valve and tightened it up again with the spec at 6.5 lbf-ft which is not very tight and it doesnt show any seepage so far.

I guess we should check the seepage on brake bleeding valves several days after the brake fluid change.

I hope you limited the brake pedal travel. After thousands of braking cycles, the master cylinder seal will create a ridge in the bore. Pumping the brake pedal to the floor will allow the piston seal to extend past the ridge, possibly causing damage to the seal.
Popular mechanics recommends using a wood block if manual brake fluid bleeding is used.

If the memory serves me correctly, madar had some seepage issue on bleeding valve after he bled the brake system and had to get new valve on his VW? I found one of the bleeding valve was doing the same on my CR-V several days after I changed the brake fluid although I did check at the time making sure there*s no seepage. New bleeding valves were ordered for my CR-V as I tightened the valve a little more but the leakage was worse. I haven*t received the bleeding valves but I loosed the valve and tightened it up again with the spec at 6.5 lbf-ft which is not very tight and it doesn*t show any seepage so far.

I guess we should check the seepage on brake bleeding valves several days after the brake fluid change.

Was on my '14 CX5, only VW I owned was a '69 Beetle back in 1978, lol. I had some seeping even when torqued to spec so I just ordered new ones. Relatively inexpensive at 3 bucks a pop.

I hope you limited the brake pedal travel. After thousands of braking cycles, the master cylinder seal will create a ridge in the bore. Pumping the brake pedal to the floor will allow the piston seal to extend past the ridge, possibly causing damage to the seal.
Popular mechanics recommends using a wood block if manual brake fluid bleeding is used.

Yes, I did. Had "specially designed" one to limit the travel. Brakes have been fine since then, 2 years - 20K miles.

How does so much water get into the brake fluid? I didn't think the small amount of air that is sucked in as the pads wear could hold that much humidity.

How does so much water get into the brake fluid? I didn't think the small amount of air that is sucked in as the pads wear could hold that much humidity.

The fluid has an affinity for moisture. Im not sure of the exact how, but its not a design issue, its just how it is.

Back