Complete rear strut assembly

rjmhotrod

:
'02 P5 White
Does anyone know where I can get a complete strut/spring assembly for the rear for a 2002 P5? Stock height and ride. I've searched KYB and Monroe but came up empty. Monroe sells a complete front assembly but for the rear you can only get individual parts (struts, boots, etc). Mine are the originals at 118K. Clunky noise coming from the rear. Not bad yet. I hear it when I'm driving at low speeds in a straight line on smooth streets. It doesn't get worse with bumps or turning. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger side rear. Don't know if it's strut related or end links or what, but at 118K it might be about time for new struts anyways. A friend of mine has an '02 with 114K that's doing the same thing but a little worse. We'll probably repair both our cars at the same time.

I have searched the forums for struts but didn't come across this exact question. Thanks for any input!

not available for the rear at least none of the venders i know carry it and neither does my job fronts are available but not rears

Thanks whatusername. Interesting that you can get a complete front but not rear. It would make sense if they were interchangeable. Oh well, guess I better get familiar with a spring compressor.

Spring compressors are simple, an impact will take up way less time but I've done it with a ratchet as well. Stay away from Monroe they're garbage

Spring compressors are simple, an impact will take up way less time but I've done it with a ratchet as well. Stay away from Monroe they're garbage

Thanks tweety. Which brand do you recommend? Keeping things stock, BTW. This will become my daughter's car soon enough.

Tokico is a good brand. The HP Blue are tuned a bit stiffer than OEM. I replaced all struts in a Honda Accord with them.

Tokico blues are awesome I have 170k on my front stock ones. Handles great but expensive

But since it will just be your daughters car I'd say kyb gr2 will be fine. I have them on my 323 and I like them but they're not stiff enough for my tastes rides pretty comfortable though

Rent the spring compressor tools, buy a Dewalt Heavy Duty Electric Impact wrench. Yer gonna' need it again for sumpthin'! I love mine. When you need it - you really need it.

Complete strut assemblies or quick-struts are made where there is demand. fronts get replaced more often by shops because they're more noticeable when bad to less trained individuals and people think they're more important (where the engine and steering is). Might also break more springs.

late 90s-early 00s Tauruses have quick struts available in all 4 corners because you don't see one with the original rear springs unbroken past 50k. When the front springs go, 9 times out of 10 they take the front tires with them (funsies).

I will agree that an impact is worth the money in general but other than getting the wheel off, I don't see how it saves much time on brakes: I've never had a problem getting them apart when put together properly (including using a torque wrench) and most of my time spent is cleaning/lubing the brackets and slides.

Last edited:
Complete strut assemblies or quick-struts are made where there is demand. fronts get replaced more often by shops because they're more noticeable when bad to less trained individuals and people think they're more important (where the engine and steering is). Might also break more springs.

late 90s-early 00s Tauruses have quick struts available in all 4 corners because you don't see one with the original rear springs unbroken past 50k. When the front springs go, 9 times out of 10 they take the front tires with them (funsies).

I will agree that an impact is worth the money in general but other than getting the wheel off, I don't see how it saves much time on brakes: I've never had a problem getting them apart when put together properly (including using a torque wrench) and most of my time spent is cleaning/lubing the brackets and slides.

You've never had to deal with rust or idiots stripping the caliper bolts. Not to mention motor mounts or basically anywhere it will fit it will make life way easier

Damn. Wish you were local. My oems had maybe 20k on them before going with Tokicos. They are in garage in the Illumina boxes. Shipping cost would suck tho...............

You've never had to deal with rust or idiots stripping the caliper bolts. Not to mention motor mounts or basically anywhere it will fit it will make life way easier

Worked in a shop in the rust belt for a few years in school doing a lot of brakes, struts, alignments, etc, and most my cars are rustbuckets. 6 point sockets, a good (and long) ratchet, and the proper angle go a long way. Like I said though: good but doesn't save me much time with brakes.

Don't use it at home either except taking lug nuts off which is why I don't bother getting another to have one at home.

Back in the shop, I did brakes very nearly as fast as the guys using impacts for everything except I never had a comeback due to my work. I don't think I've even used it at my current job except when I first started and was tearing engines down for scrapping. (big bolts, lots of them, and threaded deep). I take that back, I do use a big 3/4" to pull head bolts to R&R heads but we use a 6' handle on the 3/4"ratchet that tightens them and it's still hard.

I'm not saying they're evil spawn of satan, just that in my experience they don't save that much time if you're already taking the time to do a good job. Some but not a lot. An impact is a lifesaver when you need it...I just don't find myself needing it often. If it's rusted on that tight, I usually use PB blaster and/or heat. If that doesn't work the bolt will break no matter what I use.

The exception (where I LOVE an impact) is a hammer impact or my small electric impact for phillips head bolts on old jap bikes. JIS or not, those bastards strip out easy when they haven't moved for 35 years but an impact will get it out without destroying the head 95% of the time, The last 5% is when someone previously tried without one. Once out, they usually get replaced with SS allen head bolts.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine has the exact same car with the exact same rear suspension noises. We switched out his struts, mounts, spring insulators and end links. I think the strut mounts were causing the noise but now it's all good back there. He went with Monroe parts but I'm thinking of going with the KYB GR2. However, KYB spring insulators aren't available on Amazon. Anybody know if the Monroe insulators will work with the KYB struts? I'm assuming it would, but I figured I would ask before I ordered.

BTW, we needed a torch and an impact wrench on the nuts on the end links. Those suckers did not want to come off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

All spring insulators will be the same

As for the end links I tried to loosen mine and as soon as It gave me a little bit of trouble I broke out the saw saw not sure why they thought an Allen screw was a good idea, new ones have actual bolts

All spring insulators will be the same

As for the end links I tried to loosen mine and as soon as It gave me a little bit of trouble I broke out the saw saw not sure why they thought an Allen screw was a good idea, new ones have actual bolts

I thought all the insulators would be the same design, but I've been sure about some things before...

We picked up new links for his car at NAPA and they had the Allen head in the bolt design.

Back