AWD effectiveness of 2014-15 USA model

Desertsp

:
TBD
Been reading about AWD systems on the CX-5 and other crossovers, and am realizing there are many ways these systems can be configured from a technical standpoint. It sounds like most dont have true 4wd (all four tires can be made to spin at the same speed regardless of traction) but rather some compromise to gain efficiency and highway performance, as well as reduce cost.

I even found one thread here (sorry, on a smartphone and cant lookup the link without loosing this post) that actually stated the rear differential is open in some countries and limited slip in others. Possibly dependent on the engine (diesel or gas) and or transmission? Also it sounds like newer model years may have different hardware, not just algorithmic tweaks.

Anyways, I am in the USA and shopping specifically for a 2014 or 2015 Touring. Can anyone tell me what particular qualities the AWD model would have over a FWD one?

Thanks!

I have an awd model. It hooks and goes, even on wet roads when I floor it. It will climb my driveway, rain, snow, or dry. My driveway is the great equalizer. Just the other day a guy in a Chevy 1500 with a light trailer delivered my chicken coop. He had to take a running start of 200' and floor it and spun up the whole hill after failing to get up my drive the first time. My cx5 handles it with minor drama, just a wheel slip a couple of times on the way up without running start etc.

Been reading about AWD systems on the CX-5 and other crossovers, and am realizing there are many ways these systems can be configured from a technical standpoint. It sounds like most dont have true 4wd (all four tires can be made to spin at the same speed regardless of traction) but rather some compromise to gain efficiency and highway performance, as well as reduce cost.

I even found one thread here (sorry, on a smartphone and cant lookup the link without loosing this post) that actually stated the rear differential is open in some countries and limited slip in others. Possibly dependent on the engine (diesel or gas) and or transmission? Also it sounds like newer model years may have different hardware, not just algorithmic tweaks.

Anyways, I am in the USA and shopping specifically for a 2014 or 2015 Touring. Can anyone tell me what particular qualities the AWD model would have over a FWD one?

Thanks!
To me, a modern AWD system is still the same as a Jeep 4WD system used in the WWII. The differences are whether the system has all the features for the system in front differential、transfer case / center differential、and real differential; and controls of these functions are now computerized.

As the i-ActivSense AWD system used on the CX-5, it lacks some hardwares such as center differential and differential lock / limited-slip differentials. It has a clutch pack in rear differential controlled by computer, and serves the function of how much power transferring to rear differential which is open. For better performance, CX-5's AWD transfers power in more occasions than most other AWD systes by designed by software design, with shorter final gear ratio than its FWD counterpart, hence its AWD system suffers more penalty on fuel economy.

All AWD systems currently on the market for compact CUVs are basically the same with different software programming. Toyota RAV4 does offer more hardware with limited-slip differential and lock. The new upcoming 2019 RAV4 even offers Multi-Terrain Select and Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with industry-first "Rear Driveline Disconnect" which will be the most fuel efficient AWD on the market.

You basically don't notice it. In snow, rain, dirt, etc, you just drive and go. Never used it in deep sand (beach) but honestly, it is fine.

You basically don't notice it. In snow, rain, dirt, etc, you just drive and go. Never used it in deep sand (beach) but honestly, it is fine.

This. AWD system has been fantastic in my experience. I've never had to get a running start, or have issues with traction that wasn't related to worn tires. With good tires, I've considered my CX-5 to be a tank. I've driven through some pretty rough s*** with it.

This past winter I was very impressed by how seamless the system works. Going from dry pavement to packed ice and snow in the neighborhood did not prompt any spinning. I also drove streets where one side would be on dry pavement and the other side packed ice and snow. I didn’t feel anything.

This past winter I was very impressed by how seamless the system works. Going from dry pavement to packed ice and snow in the neighborhood did not prompt any spinning. I also drove streets where one side would be on dry pavement and the other side packed ice and snow. I didn’t feel anything.

Yep!

And mine handled the January treacherous drives through snowstorms west of Reno and in Utah and I-80 in Wyoming on my drive to San Francisco and back to Denver (with a stop in Salt Lake City, both ways).

Yep!

And mine handled the January treacherous drives through snowstorms west of Reno and in Utah and I-80 in Wyoming on my drive to San Francisco and back to Denver (with a stop in Salt Lake City, both ways).

I will admit your experiences are much more treacherous than anything I encounter. If the CX5 can handle your conditions then there should be no worries for anyone.

Of course, driving skill should be taken into account.

How noticable it is depends on how you drive and power available (rpm/gear). In the us (everywhere?) Rear LSD mechanical. Low rpm high gear (low power to transfer) is not going to give you good awd performance regardless of road surface and that's mostly what you get in D. When you want more performance you can easily get it through gear/throttle change. The sport mode on some cx5s would be the automatic way to increase awd performance.
Get the awd its worth... maximize your traction. Once you drive awd to its capabilities you will see the difference in corbering and accelerating when you get in a FWD car

Back