Side mirror GLASS ONLY

mark2000

Some asshat decided to vandylize my P5 drivers side power mirror by yanking off the glass. I checked the glass on the right side and noticed I could pop the glass out with my fingers and that theres a plastic backing attached and it just clips in.

I have been trying to get a replacement part for the drivers side from the dealer but they have no return policy and I dont want to get the wrong part. Its part number: BG1N-69-1G7. But they cant figure out if thats JUST the glass or the glass plus the backing.

If it includes the backing, I can just pop in the replacement right?

But that problem is once they order the part, they will not take it back, thats why Im Checking to see if anyone HERE knows whether this is glass only or glass PLUS backing. I am thinking it includes the backing based on this link https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/...HOLDER-LEFT-L--MIRROR/1829976/BG1N691G7A.html I found but does anyone have actual experience to say for sure?

I cant drive legally without that side mirror in my jurisdiction so Im kinda stuck until I fix it. :(
Thanks.

I did see the link you posted before editing it out. If you were to guess whether this part includes a backing, would you guess yes?

Does anyone know at least, if it pops off and on the way I did it on the passenger side...or did I break something :) the parts diagrams out there (like the ones in the link I posted) DO show the glass piece as exploded from the mirror chassis, does that indicate that its meant to be a discrete part thats meant to be popped on and off?

I would guess that the backing plate is not included because there is no mention of it in the service manual.

Something may have broken when it got pulled off.

What about going to a junker and get the whole mirror ?? You could swap out the back of the housing of it's the wrong color. (that part apparently does pop on and off)

Im going to the junkyard today. Unfortunately I dont know if they have the 6-speaker version of this part. If they only have the 4 speaker version, does anyone know if theres a way I can jerry-rig my existing speaker and wire into the harness? I assume thats the only difference between the 4 and 6 speaker version.

Im still hoping its just a matter of popping off the glass and backing and popping it onto the existing chassis. I tried popping off the passenger side again today and it looks like a pretty simple setup there are simply 4 pop-in clips and it just pops on and off the mirror motor without any effort at all.

They wont sell me the glass only. The entire housings are already pulled from the cars, Ive been told.

But hopefully, as you say, it is meant to work like a snap-in system. If so, its a 5 second fix and Im laughing. Unfortunately it does mean that this setup is prone to being re-vandylized pretty easily doesnt it? :(

does anyone have any recommended epoxies that would be really good to apple to the snap-on clips and backing that would at least make it harder to pull off?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think you just happened to be unlucky. ALL cars and trucks are the same way, you can walk up to any car in any parking lot, grab the glass of the mirror and snap it right out. The only additional thing that MAY be holding it in on some nicer cars are a couple electrical spade terminals if it has heated mirrors. You may have to unplug the 2 terminals. Otherwise they all just snap out like that.

Just note, it does take a fair bit of force to snap them back in once removed. You'll think you're about to crack the glass and then it just pops in and locks.

Edit: I would not recommend using any epoxy on the clips. They need the movement within the clips to be able to pivot somewhat to turn/angle the mirrors from the switch.

I’m still hoping it’s just a matter of popping off the glass and backing and popping it onto the existing chassis...

I'm now thinking the glass comes with the backing plate after removing and reinserting my drivers side mirror.
(from my junker)

.You've got to reinsert the clips and orient them properly

Don't forget to lineup the "tabs" on the white spheres with the tab slots on the mirror plate backing.

Is there any pick and pulls near you where U pick and pull ??

You could walk into a junker and pop a mirror off in 10 seconds.

Probably 5~10 bucks...

Last edited:
I was able to get the whole housing for $40 Canadian. They wouldnt sell the glass & holder only. (Understandably I guess...bc then theyd likely have probz selling the chassis only later)

I did luckily find out that it is a pop-on/pop-off mechanism. So that will make for an easier install.

Those pics of your junkers mirror do not look like the same kind of mirror hardware my P5 has.

But ultimately, I still would like to find out the answer to my original question... Id like to find out whether or not the dealer part INCLUDES the plastic clip-on backing? Or is it MIRROR only... unfortunately, I think this may not be the last time I get vandylized. I have had to replace the mirror chassis once already. (Im Angry I didnt keep the old part lying around) So I may need to order another one. Unfortunately I live in an urban area where the car is parked on a public street and the yellow colour and condition of the car does attract vandals. Over the years I have had:
- car broken into twice and things stolen.
- someone running up the hood causing dents
- a kick to the side of the car leaving a big dent near the gas hole
- mirror bashed off twice
- snot and spit directed at the vehicle
- several nicks and scratches to the bumpers by sh#%tty parralel parking jobs.

I think Ill chance Putting the clip-on glass back with an epoxy (carefully, and experiment on passenger side first) to try to make the glass harder to steal. I mean, theres really no reason for this part to be pulled off in the future, so why not secure it if I can. Any suggestions on a good outdoor-use epoxy?

Last edited:
I wouldn't epoxy it. It won't allow it to pivot or move correctly. Also, if someone does go to snatch the glass again they'll break much more and make your repair next harder as you'll be dealing with broken parts internal to the mirror, not just snapping another replacement glass in.

I am sure the dealer part comes with the plastic backing. I've never ordered one for a MAzda before, but every other car i've ordered a mirror glass comes with the backing and the tabs to just snap it back in.

I think it sounds like it's time to move. Or trade me for my muddy white one. Nobody will look twice. I can leave my car anywhere with not a worry in the world. And it looks just as bad when i come back to it no matter how long i leave it somewhere lol

I hear ya about the epoxy. I was thinking the same, the motor will be totally ripped out if they really try to yank.

What I have been doing is pulling the mirrors off and popping them back in when I drive. Ill do that for a month or so until hopefully the vandal leaves the area or forgets about it. Luckily I only drive the car 1-2x a week, so it just takes one second to pop the mirrors off.

Its just sad that these times necessitate this, and in Canada of all places. But the good weather does tend to increase vandies.

Back