Android Auto won't work with Pixel Phones

njmax

:
2018 CX-5 Touring
I had the dealer install the AA/CP upgrade in my 2018 CX-5 as part of the purchase deal. They put in the kit the beginning of November and I have not been able to get it to work with any of my Google Pixel phones. I had the original Pixel XL which worked for about 10 minutes when they first did the install (long enough for me to drive away) and hasn't since, my wife has a Pixel 2 which we have not been able to get working, and I just upgraded to a Pixel 3 XL which also won't work.

When I bring it to the dealership they plug in a Samsung phone and it comes right up, so they are basically telling me it works and it's not their problem.

The frustrating part is that all of the phones work with the Android Auto in my 2016 GTI with no issues, plug them in and they instantly start working. This leads me to believe there is come issue between Mazda Connect and the Pixel phones.

I am hoping that someone else has this issue and maybe can shed some light on a solution.

Thanks!

Working with my Pixel 2 XL.

Did you try putting the car in park with the parking brake on, and then plugging in the phone? The dealer told me to do this first, although it seems to connect even outside of these conditions now.

Maybe bring it to another place to check out. Or use another phone that works and go down all of your settings for comparison.

I had the dealer install the AA/CP upgrade in my 2018 CX-5 as part of the purchase deal. They put in the kit the beginning of November and I have not been able to get it to work with any of my Google Pixel phones. I had the original Pixel XL which worked for about 10 minutes when they first did the install (long enough for me to drive away) and hasn't since, my wife has a Pixel 2 which we have not been able to get working, and I just upgraded to a Pixel 3 XL which also won't work.

When I bring it to the dealership they plug in a Samsung phone and it comes right up, so they are basically telling me it works and it's not their problem.

The frustrating part is that all of the phones work with the Android Auto in my 2016 GTI with no issues, plug them in and they instantly start working. This leads me to believe there is come issue between Mazda Connect and the Pixel phones.

I am hoping that someone else has this issue and maybe can shed some light on a solution.

Thanks!

A friend has the pixel one and he wanted to see how it worked with AA, but I accidentally swiped past one of the permission screens and the car wouldnt recognize his phone. get the system to see that phone again. I then read a reddit post that recommended a restart of the Mazda system (back button, nav, volume pressed simultaneously) might help. I did that and I also reset vehicle to factory settings, then the pixel worked. It was just as smooth as CarPlay, except that the touchscreen doesnt work, and that is by design. He thought it was pretty cool.

That stinks. My Pixel 2 works fine so it must be a setting in the head unit (try suggestion above to reset), the phone cable or the phone itself - I would go into the AA app on your phone (when not connected to your car) and go into settings (three bar menu button from the home screen, settings) and make sure your Mazda is on the connected car list - I also have auto launch set to the Mazda as well. You could also uninstall the AA app and reinstall, then connect to the car.

Good luck.

A friend has the pixel one and he wanted to see how it worked with AA, but I accidentally swiped past one of the permission screens and the car wouldn*t recognize his phone. get the system to see that phone again. I then read a reddit post that recommended a restart of the Mazda system (back button, nav, volume pressed simultaneously) might help. I did that and I also reset vehicle to factory settings, then the pixel worked. It was just as smooth as CarPlay, except that the touchscreen doesn*t work, and that is by design. He thought it was pretty cool.

Same here, I have an "essential phone PH-1" and it only started to work AFTER I "reset" the infortainment system. Also to look into is that its recommended to use with the original data/charging cable not third-party ones

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have tried deleting and downloading the app a few times, didn't help. I'll try resetting the Mazda connect to factory settings and see if that does the trick.

I had issues with my Pixel 2 XL at first. Make sure you're using a high quality USB C cable. I tried a cheap one that I had and it would not work at all, used the OEM cable and voila. I use Anker now.

Just installed the kit with your video instructions. THANK YOU SIR! :)
I had issues with my Pixel 2 XL at first. Make sure you're using a high quality USB C cable. I tried a cheap one that I had and it would not work at all, used the OEM cable and voila. I use Anker now.

I did the factory reset on the head unit and it works like a charm as of now on all my Pixel phones.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions everyone!

Great news!!

Would you mind adding this issue/fix to your Android Auto/Carplay hints and tricks thread? I've got a Pixel 2 myself and plan on using your thread as a reference when I eventually get a CX5 later this year :)

(Mods - if that thread keeps being useful and getting info added, maybe yall could sticky it to the top?)

Would you mind adding this issue/fix to your Android Auto/Carplay hints and tricks thread? I've got a Pixel 2 myself and plan on using your thread as a reference when I eventually get a CX5 later this year :)

(Mods - if that thread keeps being useful and getting info added, maybe yall could sticky it to the top?)

Done :) in fact I added everything to my original post so it's all in one spot.

Back