Running board

Anyone installed a running board on 2019 CX 9? Any suggestion?

Thanks,

I haven't installed a set, but there are running boards available on AliExpress: LINK

This was one of the only sets I could find. The problem is that it doesn't list weight capacity.

Does the running board serve any purpose except to get mud on your pants when you exit the car?

Does the running board serve any purpose except to get mud on your pants when you exit the car?

Lol! The only use I'd get out of it is as a ledge to step on when cleaning the roof. The door sills sit a little too far inward, so in order for me to clean the roof, I have to stand on the door sill and hold on to the fold-down handle built into the headliner. $300+ USD is too much for a solution to a problem that a $30 foldable stepstool can solve.

Yes, for some people.

I saw a first gen the other day, and it had stainless steel 3" round bars on it. Not my cup of tea.

The Amp Research power boards aren't made for our Mazda's, but you can bet one that is close to the proper length, make or modify the brackets, and you are on your way.

I'm a parts guy, and the only CX-9 application I could find was with Onki, but it is for the first gen only. Might have to see what Mazda has to offer.

I think the new Escalade might have automatic running boards. I saw one in a parking lot last night. It had automatic running boards, but I'm not sure if it was an aftermarket modification or if it was OEM.
Yes, they are a factory option on the higher end GM trucks. Ford also has them. They are made by either Bestop or Amp Research and sold as a dealer/factory option.

I have a 4 year old, so was hoping it would help him to get in the car by himself.

I bought the ones that aliexpress sells but from a seller on ebay. They allowed my 3 year old to climb in and out of the car easily while I was recovering from back surgery. It seemed like something I could install myself but January in upstate NY isn't the best time of the year to be trying something like this. I brought it to a shop that customizes cars & trucks to install them. The guys there had a horrible time getting them to fit properly.

I bought the ones that aliexpress sells but from a seller on ebay. They allowed my 3 year old to climb in and out of the car easily while I was recovering from back surgery. It seemed like something I could install myself but January in upstate NY isn't the best time of the year to be trying something like this. I brought it to a shop that customizes cars & trucks to install them. The guys there had a horrible time getting them to fit properly.

Thanks for chiming in ChemGirl. I'm not sure if you've fully recovered from your surgery (hopefully you have!), but would you be able to take a photo of the underside so we can see how the shop installed them on your CX-9? Should be easy enough to use a cellphone, but again, I wouldn't want you to stress your back unless you're able.

Back