Bluetooth Browsing

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
So this came up when I paired my replacement phone to my car. Never saw that before.
Repaired.
Still doesn't seem to work.
ba9164bbd84e41b9f0423cab1b584673.jpg

I remember, my Moto brother.
I thought this didn't work. Does it work for anyone?

I remember, my Moto brother.
I thought this didn't work. Does it work for anyone?

What is this supposed to be, an app to control your phone from Kenwood receivers? I can't see how this applies to Mazda. What am I missing?

You know how you can plug in a memory stick and then use the infotainment to browse folders? It would be like that only using your phone over BT.

You know how you can plug in a memory stick and then use the infotainment to browse folders? It would be like that only using your phone over BT.

OK, that's another way of saying what I said. So how is it supposed to work with Mazda?
It was illustrating a Kenwood head. It's a Kenwood app.
Maybe I should ask WHY would it work with the Mazda heads.
I don't see it in the play store, so no info there.

BT 4.pointsomething added Folder browsing. IF the Mazda supports that feature it would allow you to browse your phone through the headunit. No app on the phone needed. Just a native BT feature.

I tried with my phone and MazdaConnect. Once i put it on BT music, i had to start Google play music, but after that i could browse my music library from over BT using the MazdaConnec system without having to go through USB. and yes, i could sort by album, artist, root, etc. The only odd think i noticed was no album art, but i didn't try that long.

If Mazda supported it, we'd surely know about it. Maybe when they add AA support. (rofl2)

Now if they'd simply add album art over BT, I'd be ecstatic. (wow)

I tried with my phone and MazdaConnect. Once i put it on BT music, i had to start Google play music, but after that i could browse my music library from over BT using the MazdaConnec system without having to go through USB. and yes, i could sort by album, artist, root, etc. The only odd think i noticed was no album art, but i didn't try that long.

Can you tell us the specific steps you took to access it, and how you got to the lists on the head?

I put the head unit in BT mode - my phone was picked as the sound input source - something like BT-moto Z2.

I had a podcast player running and so nothing worked, but then i closed that, and opened google play music on the phone and started a song. After that I was able to browse the song listings via the head unit interface. It was just like browsing a usb stick. If i have time tomorrow i can make a video, but if not i am traveling and it may have to wait until i get back Friday.

(edit) - i never tried actually hitting play with my podcast and then trying to browse those. They are in a different directory, but i am not sure they are n mp3 - so maybe not browseable by head unit. I may have to try hitting play with podcast player, then try navigating using the head unit too.

I know it worked for locally stored musing using Google Play music.

Last edited:
I didn't try it that way, Moto Brother (start an App first). I'll try tomorrow.

If i have time tomorrow i can make a video, but if not i am traveling and it may have to wait until i get back Friday.

Thanks. No hurry at all. I'm curious what you do on the head to access the lists.

I just tried it and all I saw was what's playing on the head. When I quit GPM, the head display went back to the last track it played on poweramp [my usual app], which wasn't active at the time, so it just sat there. I've got a moto g4 running android 7.0.

G4 runs BT 4.1
Z2 runs BT 4.2.
4.2 is like 3 times faster on transfer about all I noticed.
Alright, I'll try mine right now. Stand by.
/Edit
Holy crap, it works! Sweet!
Yes, my phone's BT name is Tony Rocks.
e47f1b06c5a1e303a72a8aec26168d7c.jpg

Fired up Rocket Player. Went to Root in MZD. And everything was there. Then force closed RP and I still had access.

Last edited:
Interesting... so force closed the app and still browsing. I wonder if there is some other way to launch without an app open? I only tried with an app open as i noticed Podcast Republic just showed blank for artist, song, album and i got an error when i tried to browse.

I have rocket player too, but just picked google play music. Did you notice any album art?

Did not see art. Much of my music is missing art so that's not telling. I'll shuffle everything tomorrow and look for some.

i need to try more too. USB shuffle is crappy, so maybe BT shuffle will work better. Not holding my breath but i can hope. That may be the one advantage to using the phone player vs. the head unit

Went to Root in MZD.

How do you do that?

i need to try more too. USB shuffle is crappy, so maybe BT shuffle will work better. Not holding my breath but i can hope. That may be the one advantage to using the phone player vs. the head unit

That's why I use Poweramp. It's the only thing I could find that would shuffle my 128GB card, and I always shuffle in the car. I mount my phone just to see the album art. Mounted right below the head display, so it's easy to see both with a glance.

Back