7500 mile service

dsonyay62

:
2013 CX-5 Touring, FWD, Tech Package, fog lights, Bose, Moonroof
How much are you guys paying at the dealer for the 7500 mile service? If not the service, what does your dealer charge for just an oil change for the CX-5? I ask because of the synthetic oil, and I know dealers usually charge a lot more for a synthetic oil change.

I'm fully capable of doing all this myself. I actually enjoy doing an oil change, rotating tires, changing plugs, etc... as long as I have a beer or two waiting after the job is done. :)

How much are you guys paying at the dealer for the 7500 mile service? If not the service, what does your dealer charge for just an oil change for the CX-5? I ask because of the synthetic oil, and I know dealers usually charge a lot more for a synthetic oil change.

I'm fully capable of doing all this myself. I actually enjoy doing an oil change, rotating tires, changing plugs, etc... as long as I have a beer or two waiting after the job is done. :)

If you like doing it yourself, I wouldn't worry about what the dealer charges. There's no way they will do it cheaper and faster than you can.

I get coupons from Nissan for our Versa and the recently traded Altima for 19.95. 29.95 with a rotation.

Sometimes I'm overseas on travel and the wife gets caught with the oil change.. so she goes in and uses the coupons. Works out well with the good discounts. We have a pretty good Nissan dealership in town. I've never dealt with Mazda dealers.. so I'm a bit curious.

Note - the 19.95 oil change coupon usually ends up costing just under 30 bucks with "shop fees" and taxes. :( Overall not bad when it's needed while I'm away.

Last edited:
With synthetic and shop fees and tax it was like $56 IIRC.

my dealer quoted us $72 for synthetic oil change. minus $5-$10 if you book the appointment online with them. Also 6th oil change is free so makes it $60/oil change minus $5-10 on top of that.

Makes no sense to do it myself, since its going to cost me about $40 in material and they'll do it for almost the same price.

I've always changed my own oil and light maintenance stuff, but the dealer I purchased it from has a program where they provide the 1st set of tire replacement for free if you let them to them do the maintenance on car.
Given the tires go for $150-$200/tire, I figured its going to actually cost me less to let them do the oil changes.

Last edited:
Makes no sense to do it myself, since its going to cost me about $40 in material and they'll do it for almost the same price.

I can change the oil in less time than it would take me to drive to and from the dealer and then I'd have the time waiting for them to do it on top of that. Plus then I know exactly what went into the car.
My dad always did all our maintenance but when I got my first car I took it to a 10 minute lube place and the guy told me it would be 30 minutes before they could get it in to do the '10 minute' lube I drove off and I've done all my own since. I'd rather be doing something than waiting.

I too love doing these simple things. The local Mazda dealer quoted me 66 bucks total for the 7500 mile service for the cx5. Not bad at all.. they use the Mazda 0 20 synthetic.

If there are times I can't do it myself, it's a good alternative.

I can change the oil in less time than it would take me to drive to and from the dealer and then I'd have the time waiting for them to do it on top of that. Plus then I know exactly what went into the car.
My dad always did all our maintenance but when I got my first car I took it to a 10 minute lube place and the guy told me it would be 30 minutes before they could get it in to do the '10 minute' lube I drove off and I've done all my own since. I'd rather be doing something than waiting.

I agree. I don't know how many horror stories I've heard of people forgetting to put the drain plug back in, or other stupid issues I'd rather not have happen to me. Plus the fact that it's cheaper especially when you factor in time wasted driving and waiting for it to be done, it just doesn't seem worth it IMO.

Also, the stock tires suck! I can't wait to get them off. Michelin makes a way better tire at a cheaper price than the stock tires.

I've always changed the oil in my cars. Started doing it to save money, but kept doing it because I trust myself more than a quickie lube. I can let it sit and drip the old crap out all night if I want to, and I don't have to wonder if some idiot didn't let all the oil drain out, or didn't actually change the filter, or left the drain plug finger tight, or stripped the threads with an impact gun. If a shop is doing it cheaper than I can do it myself, then something is up anyway. You know it's cheaper to just take the filter off and wipe it clean so it looks new vs replace it.

Even the $19.95 oil change deal doesn't stack up. They will be using cheap oil and filter and that's before fees are tacked on. It's going to be closer to 30 bucks out the door, as someone mentioned. For that $, you can buy a good filter and full synthetic Mobil/Castrol. Don't skimp just to save a couple bucks every few months. Oil is critical to health of the engine and it's not difficult to do.

I will take mine in for the first oil change, paid for by the dealer. But you can bet that I will note that the old filter really was changed and that everything looks good afterwards. From what I understand, the Mazda oil is very good, so no concerns there.

If the manual says 0w20 oil is to be used, then the dealer should use the recommended oil and an OEM oil filter. I am a DIM guy but, if I was to take my vehicle to a dealer, I would first circle what is required in my owners manual. Take the manual with me and resist the dealer attempts to sell me additional services. ED

I will be doing all the basic maintenance myself. I don't trust the dealer to use the correct oil or do the job right. I'd rather spend an hour of my own time making sure its right and clean than fast and wrong.

I totally agree with the DIYers like me. However: not all have the time, the place, or the mechanical interest to do it. Therefore, one should expect, no, demand that a dealer, provide the owners vehicle with expert service using the factory recommended lubricants. It is pitiful, that dealers often don't get that idea correctly.

I've never changed my oil and I planned on letting the dealer do the maintenance whenever I bought a CX-5 (soon, I hope).
Are they really that bad? I'm kinda scared now.

lol

Ask around about the quality of the local dealers. They are not always more expensive, and often they do provide more - wifi, vacuum and wash, etc. Just be careful with some of the bundled 30K type of services.

If you are comfortable doing oil change, DIY by all means. But not everyone is like that or have the space to do it.

Chiming in from CX9 forum here.

For maintenance services, by all means, avoid package services from dealers.
These are very profitable for dealers, hence, bad for owners.
Always itemize your service items based on what the OM recommends.
Collect coupons online, and have Mazda dealers do them (unless you love DIY).
Full-circle Inspection is free with most Mazda dealers. Have them do that free to find issues.
If they do, use your judgement whether to have those fixed or not.
Just my two cents.

I was able to do just about everything on our recenty traded Altima... except for the plugs. We had a V6 and I could not reach the plugs on the far side... Nissan wanted 300 and change for this job, so I passed and left them in knowing we'd trade the car. Someone else would need to worry about it.

Last edited:
Not to divert the thread too much but are y'all waiting for 7,500 miles or are you changing it at 5k miles?
I chose 5k miles for the CX-5 and 7.5k miles for my MINI. (Normally 7.5k miles and 15k miles respectively)

^ Will do 7.5K miles on CX-5, using Mazda recommended synthetic oil (not 5K).

Not to divert the thread too much but are y'all waiting for 7,500 miles or are you changing it at 5k miles?
I chose 5k miles for the CX-5 and 7.5k miles for my MINI. (Normally 7.5k miles and 15k miles respectively)

I'll probably do it at 5k in the summer months because of the heat in Phoenix and the consistency of the oil is already like water. But in the winter I think 5k with synthetic is a little overkill. And if its a lease, or you don't plan on keeping it over 100k, I'd just do it at 10k.

It makes a lot of difference how long your typical trip is, if less than 8 miles the engine does not stay warm long enough to evaproate the moisture created from the cold start so change oil at 5K, if you have longer trips go for 7.5K.

Back