2014 Mazda CX-9 62000 miles popping noise

:
2014 CX-9
So after driving the car for more than 30 minutes you can start to hear a popping noise when turning left. It only does it intermittently. I've taken it to two different mechanics and they've not found an issue. They're also unable to replicate the noise. I'm guessing because they are not driving it long enough for it start doing or it's one of the days it doesn't do it at all. I'm guessing its my CV joint starting to go bad, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for your help. This is the first Mazda I've ever owned (normally a honda/acura guy).

Pop the hood and make sure the strut tower nuts and windshield cowl fasteners are secured and tight. Its not a guaranteed fix, but a lot of these "popping" issues have been solved by tightening loose fasteners.

Then I'd suggest recording the noise with your phone the next time it happens. Take the video to a mechanic and see what they say.

Is the popping noise when you're turning the steering wheel, or when the wheel is stationary and the car in its left turn?

If while you're turning the wheel, it might be the thrust bearing at the top of one of the struts. Can you tell if the noise comes from the left or right side of the car?

Is the rubber boot on the CV joint in good condition or cracked and leaking grease?

Its when turning left and it sounds like it coming from the left side. Ive noticed it happening only after the car is on and stationary for a period of time.

Cv boot/joint looks good.

Is the popping noise when you're turning the steering wheel, or when the wheel is stationary and the car in its left turn?

If while you're turning the wheel, it might be the thrust bearing at the top of one of the struts. Can you tell if the noise comes from the left or right side of the car?

Is the rubber boot on the CV joint in good condition or cracked and leaking grease?

So I confirmed today its only when turning left. If its one of the thrust bearings at the top of the strut would I just have to replace the strut or if I dont mind the noise sometimes just ride with it?

The bearing at the top of the strut carries the car's weight at that corner of the car. It allows the wheel to steer under the car. The bearing is separate, but the strut assembly needs to be removed to get to the bearing. It is almost the same labor as renewing the strut--the spring can stay in place. And, we still aren't sure it is this bearing, nor which side. The bearing us usually sold as part of the strut mount, a rubber assembly with the 4 studs as part.

Rorocars, hope you get it figured out. I will assume you are aware of the all wheel drive failure on the CX-9. (2015 and older) Is yours all wheel drive? If so, start reading all the many many threads. If not, have no fear, probly something simple. May try replacing the stabilizer links (short bars) and see if that helps, thats the cheapest starting point. Good luck.

Back