CX-9 Transfer case - source for re-manufactured ones?

:
Mazda CX-9 GS AWD
I have a 2010 CX-9 with about 210,000 Km (130K miles) and have had 3 transfer case replacements in 2017, under the extended 7 yr warranty. Now the 4th one has likely just exploded (the sound of tinkling metal parts is interesting).

Has anyone found a source for re-manufactured ones? Or new aftermarket/better ones? Since its the same as Ford Edge unit, there might be a large enough market now. It would be worth a few hundred bucks to get another winter out of the truck.

unfortunatly there is no such thing. There might be some new one cheaper on internet and ebay than the dealership though

You can find one for $535 from BAM Wholesale near Cleveland. I bought one but had to return it because the tranny splines were bad. Took out transfer case and rear axle to run in FWD. Had to replace rear bearings with FWD type because wheels will fall off if you dont. Runs better now because rear axle was very noisy disconnected from pto. I now have lights on my dash with 4wd tcm engine and more lit up. Looks like I have to replace the rear abs sensors and figure out the other temp sensor and solenoid for the rear axle. I am researching the best possible way to do this including removing the AWD control module. If anyone has any experience in this area please let me know.

You can find one for $535 from BAM Wholesale near Cleveland. I bought one but had to return it because the tranny splines were bad. Took out transfer case and rear axle to run in FWD. Had to replace rear bearings with FWD type because wheels will fall off if you dont. Runs better now because rear axle was very noisy disconnected from pto. I now have lights on my dash with 4wd tcm engine and more lit up. Looks like I have to replace the rear abs sensors and figure out the other temp sensor and solenoid for the rear axle. I am researching the best possible way to do this including removing the AWD control module. If anyone has any experience in this area please let me know.

Hi tech13158,

Please when you have a chance could you please help me a little with some information (what year is your car?), I have a CX9 2013, that I have already changed the PTU few months ago and it is failing (making noise, whole vehicule shaking, transmission fluid smell inside and showing AWD light on dashboard) again that at some point very near I think will break completely. So I'm thinking about converting it from AWD to FWD (I live in a place where we never get snow). But I have some questions as follow:
Additional to removing the PTU, can I also remove the rear driveshaft?
Will AWD and/or traction control lights show constantly or at some point on the dashboard?
Will I need to do any computer reprogramming, module or relay removal?

Your help and any advice you can provide, will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Update: The good news is the transfer case is ok.

The noise was coming from a heat shield that broke and was dragging on the top of the driveshaft to rear diff. I would only hear it at low speeds. At higher speed, wind under the car must have lifted it off, to prevent the drag. Simple bolt replacement with large washer/extra tab material is the cure.

Hi, new here, first post --

***edit, my car is a 2011 CX-9 GT AWD which I bought certified pre-owned****

Good news, single track.....for now. I had the same issue the other week. They replaced my heat shield. Symptoms had been an odd rattling at low speeds, and a whooshing I could only hear if I was driving past a solid thing, i.e. on a bridge or next to a large guardrail or concrete barrier. But I was also having a gassy, exhaust-ish smell that was really not cool. I went into the dealer with suspicion it was a transfer case about to go......and they sent me home with a new heat shield and a new set of tie rods recommended. And a little bit of feeling patted on the head (I am female, 40s) and assured they looked and tested for leaks and found none. Said the smell was gas, and yet did not try to diagnose that? Ugh. But, they said their road tester could not duplicate the smell.

Toxic smell seemed to go away and return randomly. I was researching fuel line issues and spark plugs and even thought maybe it was just my air filter.

Unfortunately, I ran into some trouble the other day (wednesday night before US thanksgiving) Taking my son 40m from home to a class and we stopped to get coffee only to smell acrid burning (like wires) and see a fair amount of smoke from behind the engine compartment. Had it towed to dealer, dealer was kind and gave me a loaner. This morning I learn the problem is indeed a failing transfer case. My second one. First one replaced under warranty at 92K, and in that instance it basically exploded without much warning. And now this one just bit the dust at 133K, having given some mild warning signals that were misdiagnosed. Still no dash lights indicating failures!

Has anyone had any luck getting any $$$ consideration from Mazda on a *second* failed TC? This is ridiculous. I don't tow anything except a bike rack and I am seriously gentle on this car. Dealer's service manager is reaching out to Mazda also, I want to believe they will go to bat for me but I am not sure they will really fight the machine lol....or if they just want me to believe they tried.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear about your second transfer case failure. Mine all happened within the 7yr warranty window. I'd be surprised if they do anything to help for an 8 yr. old car. But, if you've had your service work primarily done there they might have incentive to help. The only good news is that the car still drives fine as a front wheel drive. You should look into the water pump while you're at the dealer. Make sure there's no water in the oil. Mine failed at about the same mileage as yours. I caught it in time, and had the pump and timing chains replaced. Another big $$$$ investment. Check other water pump threads on this forum.

Back