Turbo 2002 Mazda Protege5 Ideas wanted

dalonex

:
2002 mazda protege 5
So i'm about to start builting my 2002 mazda protege 5 making it turbo. This is my first time trying to attemped this project. So i'm looking for ideas I'm sure there are guys out there that know more about this then me. I'm stationed in South korea right now so my machine shop abilities are limited and any parts I need I have to get from the states. So here is the list of what I've got so far trust me it a long list. Some parts are double becouse I didnt like them and it never hurts to have spare parts. I'm also only trying to make 250hp. For now!! this is my only daily driver car.

Cometic MLS head gasket
Cometic MLS Complete Engine Gasket kit
Ceramic coated T25R Ball Bearing turbo with 60 trim
Ceramic Coated Custom Exhuast Manifold
Braided Oil feed lines
Braided oil return hose
EGR Bolt
Turbo Specialties Intercooler w/ Piping and couplers
AWR four part Motor mounts
NSA ALT Alternator 120 AMPS
Exedy Stage 2 Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
Walbro 255 Fuel pump
Weapon R coolant tank
Haltech Standalone 500
HKS turbo Timer type 1
K1 standard Rods
Arias Pistons 8:5.1 Comprision Standard bore
Supertech dual valve spring
supertech manganese Bronze valve guides
AEM wideband 02 Sensor
ARP Head Studs
ARP main studs
Deatsch 440CC Fuel Injectors
Mishimoto Radiator
Mishimoto Fan 12"/ Shroud
HKS boost Controller EVC-S
Clevite 77 Engine Bearing complete Kit
Clevite77 thrust washers
NRG Grounding kit
Injen Cold air Intake
Vibrant 3" custom Exhuast system
Vibrant 2.5" Custom Down pipe
NGK V power Spark plugs
NGK Spark Plug wires
AEM Analog boost Gauge
Cusco Oil Catch can
buddy Club condensor
magnetic oil drain plug
FS Engine Oil Jets
MFactory LSD
Transmission rebuild kit
Custom Intake manifold w/ EGR pipe
Lower temperature Thermostat
Arp Exhuast manifold studs
Samco Radiator hose kit
water pump with gasket
timing belt tensioner
timing belt idler
timing belt tensioner spring
front crankshaft seal
two camshaft seals
egr piping
awr oil pan
vibrant silcone hose kit
vibrant vacuum bar
HKS SSQV 4 BOV
weisco pistons 9:0.1 comprision standard
Par 3rd and 4th gears stright cut
626 7.1 ratio 5th Gear
Powerstop rotors and brakes
AEM wiring harness
spearco Intercooler core
MSP OEM gasket set
2.5 intercooler piping custom black

Let me know what yaa think. These are all parts I already have and waiting to be installed soon.

Last edited:
Not sure how it acts with the stand alone but high output alternators seem to fry Ecus and wires in the protege.

Other than that with that setup you should be able to get 400+ easy

I will be going with a GTX28 turbo but I got to wait I've been collecting parts for almost a year now so I wanted to put this turbo on then go bigger. I got to ask about that 626 manifold does it really have alot of problems with cold start ups

I got to ask about that 626 manifold does it really have alot of problems with cold start ups

If you remove your VICs flaps you will have problems with cold start ups. With the stock mani / 626 one.

My car is totally worthless in terms of power for the first 2-3 minutes until it warms up.

Besides that....ummm only thing I can think of is....oversized pistons if your redoing the block?

Last edited:
what the diffrence between oversized bore and regular standard pistons if the block isnt messed up or scratched ??

what the diffrence between oversized bore and regular standard pistons if the block isnt messed up or scratched ??

Well its "supposed" to be a wise precaution on older blocks to rebore it. But I guess you technically get a larger displacement =P

the displacement on the Mazda protege 5 1991cc but I dont think I will do that to my car right now I'm trying to make sure I'm not missing anything I might need for the built. If anyone can think of anything let me know. I only want about 250 hp starting out but later on I'll push it to 300hp after I change out my turbo

Axles are cheap and easy to fix. Leave the stock ones. It's better to break an axle than the trans

HUH what you mean its better the break the axles then the trans?? how about I make it so I dont break anything and just make a better one

I'm saying IF something were to break its better for it to be an axle than a trans

Your already using the par gears which are expensive. How mad would you be if you broke the trans/ gears.

Look at high hp Honda builds and some other builds on here, most people use stock axles just incase.

Boost launches are hard on the drivetrain the small stock axles will flex and break of it decides to hook up rather than the trans case flexing and breaking.

If you still want bigger axles the msp has slightly bigger ones. Last I checked protege garage sells them for $700

Yeah I looked at those sorry didnt understand you about it. I will look in to those but I want to know something about the set up I got you think I can make 250 hp on that turbo ?

It would be pushing it. Then you will run into heat soaking which I'm battling with my 323. You might get one run on 250 hp on a dyno but after that numbers will decrease

Sorry to sound like a novice but what is heat soaking. I want to make atleast 250 on that FS engine I know that 250 is asking alot but I though the T25R could handle it.

The t25 is only good for around 10 psi more than that and it's gona be heat soaking iirc I'm not too familiar with the t25 but if it helps you under stand my vj11 is about the same size maybe a lil bigger than the t25 if I don't let it cool down between runs it will only build about 12-13 psi rather than 16.

Anybody know what the maf sensor can do I think I remember it being 14 psi is all it can handle. Either way I would upgrade to gm's 3 bar map sensor as it will be more accurate

Ok got it dam that sucks ok so I'm trying to figure this out so the only way I can make 250 is getting the GTX28 turbo but I'll be making 300HP with that right ?

Depends on how much boost you run you can run 4.5 to 20 psi and power range 150-300 also depends on tune and other things

Back