Fog light install

guido2358

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport, 6spd manual
I checked out several threads on fog light installs. However, I was wondering if anyone has installed OEM style fog lights that come with a switch like these:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I was wondering if I could use these fog lights, but utilize the factory wiring and purchase this replacement turn signal indicator:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Would this setup work?

Cost would be about $90 and would be worth it.

Thanks

Yes you can. That is exactly how I did mine. All the wiring is already there. Pretty much plug and play.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Quick question. Does the fog light plastic housing physically attach to the fog light assembly at all, or does it just simply snap in around it?

It attaches with three self tapping screws that are included with the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time removing the plastic surround to replace with the LED DRL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lamp assembly is mounted to the bumper, with three screws, but front fascia is held by plastic tabs(reach from inside and push on the tabs to release).

So since the foglight taps into the housing, could you actually attach them to each other before attaching the surround to the bumper? This would in theory allow me to install them without bumper removal

I had to remove the bumper to install them. The housing mounts to the bumper.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

So since the foglight taps into the housing, could you actually attach them to each other before attaching the surround to the bumper? This would in theory allow me to install them without bumper removal

This is correct, the decorative bezel on the outside is easily removed by removing the bottom undercarriage panel and reaching inside and pressing the clips away from the bumper lip. The fog light housing is secured in a bracket screwed into the bumper with three philips screws only. I was able to remove the bracket without removing the bumper. You just have to feel for the three screws, it's not that hard. A lot easier than taking the bumper off. I don't like taking the bumpers off unless I really have to, my experience in the past is that it never as tight as new, same with interior panels. Those dealer monkeys scratched my previous cars with screwdrivers prying off the panels instead of using proper panel removers.

I replaced the OEM CX5 non tech fog light housing with a Mazda2 fog housing with no shroud to get in the way of my hid bulb. The original CX5 fog housing was crushing my hid bulb and cracking the ceramic tube that runs along the hid glass. I compared it to a friend's CX5 tech LED fog and my hid light output was at least 3x and 3x farther than the LEDs. My friend said the CX5 LED small fogs are useless, they're just for looks. I offered to install the bigger diameter Mazda2 fog with hid for free for him. He gladly accepted. But he had to also order the LED DRl bezel like mine with the larger diameter because his original bezel has the tiny diameter for the smaller oem led housing. See link and video if my night time driving, I aim the fogs low so there's no glare to other drivers

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856617-Installed-LED-fog-bezel-and-LED-switchback-in-2016-CX-5

Sidenote, I see the new 2017 CX5 only offers the tiny LED foglight option, so there's no way to add any supplemental lighting like hid kit in that spot unless someone with experience and know how can cut a fog light opening in that 2017 vast plastic bumper space between the headlights and the near bottom foglights (green arrows), then there's the question of mounting the new foglight bracket, not straightforward.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2017 fog.jpg
    2017 fog.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 4,644
Last edited:
Back