18' CX5 Touring AWD vs 19' CX5 FWD Touring

:
2018 Mazda CX5 Machine Gray
Thought I would give a quick comparison of the my 18' CX5 AWD Touring I currently drive to the 19' CX5 FWD Touring that I have as a courtesy vehicle from the dealership.

Things that changed

- The 19' downsized the wheels from 19" rims to 17" rims. The ride seems a bit less harsh but the 19" look much better. Haven't gone on any twisty turnies so no input there.
- The A/C console changed where the seat warmer buttons are now integrated into the climate control. Might be a different package but this wasn't a great change if it was a change.
- Tactile feel for the infotainment knob seems to be more textured.
- Two options appear under the device connection menu "android auto" and "apple play" both are greyed out on this trip level.

Things that should've changed (but didn't)

- Still no way to change the sensitivity to blind spot monitoring. Still ultra conservative.
- Rear camera alert when too close. Maybe its available on GT or Signature IDK. Would've been nice on Touring.
- Extra distance on walk away lock. Neither my 18' or 19' has a great range on the walk away lock. If I move away at a normal pace sometimes it doesn't lock.
- Clothes Hook. Yeah yeah there are other things to wish for but I do carry clothes on that thing and the hook is NOT wide enough for a plastic hanger.
- Larger gas tank. We can dream right?
- Navigation. Another one to dream on but the Mazda navigation system is pretty clunky.

Overall not much has really changed. The Climate Interface has changed for what seems to be the worse. The wheel size is smaller. The FWD feels a bit peppier on acceleration and gets better gas milage.

Apple Car Play and Android Auto are greyed out because they are no phones connected.

Apple Car Play and Android Auto are greyed out because they are no phones connected.

I tried to connect a few different ways. Always stayed greyed out. I'll keep messing around with it. I'll have the loaner for a bit.

Im actually cool with the actual NAV function on my 19 gtr.

Really? I find that it tends to be a bit clunky when trying to enter and find places in the nav. The feature for the upcoming street is amazing though.

Wheel spec hasn*t changed, it*s just a different model.

Like Colorado driver mentioned, it did change. my 18' Touring has 19" wheels, there is no option on mazda's website on the 19' to change to 19" wheels. on the Touring.

Last edited:
I tried to connect a few different ways. Always stayed greyed out. I'll keep messing around with it. I'll have the loaner for a bit.

Really? I find that it tends to be a bit clunky when trying to enter and find places in the nav. The feature for the upcoming street is amazing though.

FYI. For the those apps to work, you need to be connected to the specific USB port inside the armrest. They don't work over Bluetooth or through the other ports.

I just speak and it listens. Pretty well.

Like Colorado driver mentioned, it did change. my 18' Touring has 19" wheels, there is no option on mazda's website on the 19' to change to 19" wheels. on the Touring.

The NAV unit is clunky, but the NAV FEATURE is fine. Load times for data (it won't just save the damn contacts, it has to load them. Each. And. Every. Time.), and start-up time are a bit slow, but not show-stopping.

The NAV unit is clunky, but the NAV FEATURE is fine. Load times for data (it won't just save the damn contacts, it has to load them. Each. And. Every. Time.), and start-up time are a bit slow, but not show-stopping.
Just go to recent destinations and they are all listed ;-)

Back