Which 0W20 Oil Brand?

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
Hi folks,

Getting ready to do another oil change. I wanted some opinions.

Last oil change, I put in 5 qts of Castrol Edge 0W20. It was $19 at Walmart at the time so I figured that was a great deal for a 5 qt jug.

Anyway, no deals currently and they are all relatively the same price give or take a couple bucks. So I am just wondering if I should stick with the Castrol Edge or switch to another brand.

I saw that they had 5 qt jugs for the following:

• Castrol Edge
  • Valvoline Advanced
  • Pennzoil Platinum
  • Castrol GTX Magnatec
  • Mobil 1 Extended Performance

What do you like, and why?

Oh, and I have not considered the Mazda Moly oil as it's less cost effective and I am being a penny pincher lol. Honestly, it would cost the same to just have the dealer change the oil as it would to buy Mazda Moly.

Thanks.

I’d probably go with the Castrol as it’s the factory recommended one. It’s also recommended brand for VW and I’ve always gone with it for my VWs. VW does have their spec that you just need to make sure it specifically meets. I don’t believe Mazda has a spec but I’d say if it passes the latest dexos you’re probably good.

But honestly the others are probably fine also.

Been using Pennzoil Platinum. I've tried Mobile 1 and have used Mazda Moly, Pennzoil gives me the best oil mileage. I put it in my 2014 and my 2016 CX5, as well as my stepdaughter's 2014 with 75k miles on it now. Good stuff. $27 for a five qt. jug at my local Walmart.

Yeah this has become a personal preference thing and any oil you listed should be fine. I was just about to say Mazda Moly oil until I saw your comment on it. ;) Among oils you listed I'd use Castrol Edge 0W-20.

Been using Pennzoil Platinum. I've tried Mobile 1 and have used Mazda Moly, Pennzoil gives me the best oil mileage. I put it in my 2014 and my 2016 CX5, as well as my stepdaughter's 2014 with 75k miles on it now. Good stuff. $27 for a five qt. jug at my local Walmart.

For all the Pennzoil Platinum fans here, NAPA Auto has 5 qt. for $24 thru the end of June and then a $10 rebate thru Pennzoil on top of that.

I have had 3X excellent UOA for Pennzoil Platinum from my CX5. 0w20 & 5w30 viscosities. Ed

Any SM rated 0w20 or 5w30 (if out of warranty) will treat you fine. Get the cheapest of the bunch for now then stock up throughout the year when you can find clearances and good rebates.

With that being said. A Dexos1 Gen 2 or API SN+ rated oil is technically better for our engines at preventing LSPI events.

For all the Pennzoil Platinum fans here, NAPA Auto has 5 qt. for $24 thru the end of June and then a $10 rebate thru Pennzoil on top of that.

Hmm...may pick it up if its $14 for a 5 qt jug...

Any SM rated 0w20 or 5w30 (if out of warranty) will treat you fine. Get the cheapest of the bunch for now then stock up throughout the year when you can find clearances and good rebates.

With that being said. A Dexos1 Gen 2 or API SN+ rated oil is technically better for our engines at preventing LSPI events.

Great info, thank you! But can you break these terms down for me and how to determine which oil falls into that?

Last edited:
This information should be on the back of the bottle. Basically the latest dexos 2 is created with direct injection and higher compression ratios and turbo chargers in mind. So as mentioned it helps with lspi but also with intake carbon deposits.

I know PP meets Dexos 1 gen2, Ive not seen where Castrol Edge has that rating even on their website.

Assuming you're doing no more than 8k miles per fill they are all good in the hood'. And when I say ALL I mean all 0w20 oils out there. Imho it all boils down (no pun intended) to 2 important things.

1. Change oils on a scheduled basis.
2. Go with your favorite oil based on logo/color/marketing words, ect.

That said I have 2 5-quart jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and 6 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series 0w20 waiting in the garage.

Sounds like I'm good. I've always kept to a 5k, and no more than 7k (on the times I got lazy) change interval.

Not sure which Castrol oil you’re looking at but I’m able to find data sheets

https://msdspds.castrol.com/msdspds...=Full&spu=Lubricants&unrestrictedmb=No&cols=0

But like was said earlier follow the scheduled interval with the right type of oil and your going to be fine. All the oils you listed are from quality reputable brands.
Yeah, I found those before, none of them mention a Dexos rating for 0w-20 synthetic Edge, which I find odd. But like you said, stick with a quality oil and you'll be fine.

Of your list Colorado, the Mobil1 and PP have tri-nuclear moly. Essentially a tiny amount of this stuff equals to mass amounts of old school moly found in OEM mazda oil with moly.

Quaker State's 0w20 oil is really good and has moly too I heard. Not sure if old school moly or tri-nuclear though.

Great info, thank you! But can you break these terms down for me and how to determine which oil falls into that?

Sure thing, here's a quick explanation from Pennzoil. Don't worry that it comes from Pennzoil, SN Plus is a new API standard. All oils that meet SN Plus must undergo the same testing. Same can be said with Dexos1 Gen2.

Also, as a side note, if you have a Prime membership you can sometimes get great prices on oil straight from Amazon. Makes for an easy no hassle purchase. Track an item with Camel Camel Camel and buy when low.

Edit* Autozone around November-December has been clearancing certain oils for the past 3-4 years now. It can be hit or miss on what they're getting rid of but you can get great oil from $1-2/qt. My first year I purchased 25 quarts of Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 for $1/qt, the second year I stocked up on various (Royal Purple, Motorcraft, Durablend and Defy) 10w30s for I think $2/qt. This past year I was lucky enough to get in on Advance's clearance of Idemitsu 0w20, picked up 40qts for $0.72/qt. You can get great deals on great oils if you just wait for the right time. I'll soon be purchasing a Giulia, oil on that is very particular and the cheapest I've been able to source it is for $8.27/qt, so be grateful that you can stock up on great stuff for the Mazda with relative ease!

Last edited:
Sure thing, here's a quick explanation from Pennzoil. Don't worry that it comes from Pennzoil, SN Plus is a new API standard. All oils that meet SN Plus must undergo the same testing. Same can be said with Dexos1 Gen2.

Also, as a side note, if you have a Prime membership you can sometimes get great prices on oil straight from Amazon. Makes for an easy no hassle purchase. Track an item with Camel Camel Camel and buy when low.

Edit* Autozone around November-December has been clearancing certain oils for the past 3-4 years now. It can be hit or miss on what they're getting rid of but you can get great oil from $1-2/qt. My first year I purchased 25 quarts of Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 for $1/qt, the second year I stocked up on various (Royal Purple, Motorcraft, Durablend and Defy) 10w30s for I think $2/qt. This past year I was lucky enough to get in on Advance's clearance of Idemitsu 0w20, picked up 40qts for $0.72/qt. You can get great deals on great oils if you just wait for the right time. I'll soon be purchasing a Giulia, oil on that is very particular and the cheapest I've been able to source it is for $8.27/qt, so be grateful that you can stock up on great stuff for the Mazda with relative ease!

Awesome! Thank you so much for the info!

Funny you said that, as I gave up Pennzoil (and Quaker State) long time ago when they screwed up some oils. Based on your link API SN PLUS standard mainly is for turbo-charged engines. For our SkyActiv-G "Certified For Gasolone Engines" symbol by API with ILSAC requirements, and API Service SM should be sufficient.

API SN PLUS is a new motor oil specification developed for turbocharged engines that is being developed in response to automakers request for motor oils that protect against Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI). LSPI is an engine condition known to occur in Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection (TGDI) engines that can be mitigated by changing the motor oil formulation.

Back