Backup lights too dim

:
2016 CX5 sport 2.0 Manual
I have a CX-5 sport without a backup cam. The backup lights aren't bright enough to see anything behind me and I really don't trust backing up at night. Any recommends on either new backup lights (led, xenon...), or should I just bite the bullet and get a backup cam with some led lights in it? I was looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
or these - I prefer a name brand...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

They definitely appear whiter, but in some of the pics, they aren't any brighter.

Last edited:
Hi cbsic,
I read that Diode Dynamics, has very good LED bulbs for backing up and also for license plate and they are not expensive. They also have a interior kit replacement for maps and ceiling lights.

I have those Phillips bulbs installed in ours and I've been happy. It's definitely a whiter light that it gives off, but I'm not so sure that it's all that much brighter. They are a bit brighter, but likely not enough to make a drastic difference.

If you’re really concerned on night vision during the back-up, you should go for a good quality after-market back-up camera. The back-up camera will save your expenses even just avoided one incident. I wouldn’t want a vehicle without it nowadays.

Since there’s no true built-in reflector so the function of the back-up lights are limited to see the road, but rather just let other drivers to see you backing up. As mentioned above, those LEDs for back-up lights won’t help you too much to see the raid backing up in the dark.

If you’re really concerned on night vision during the back-up, you should go for a good quality after-market back-up camera. The back-up camera will save your expenses even just avoided one incident. I wouldn’t want a vehicle without it nowadays.

Since there’s no true built-in reflector so the function of the back-up lights are limited to see the road, but rather just let other drivers to see you backing up. As mentioned above, those LEDs for back-up lights won’t help you too much to see the raid backing up in the dark.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Now to try to find a decent backup camera. I hate that all I can find are non-known brands. LeeKooLuu, Auto-Vox, Chuanganzhuo, Esky... When Pyle is the only brand I recognize in the bunch, I worry about reliability!
I guess my next question - any recommends for a decent backup camera??

Back