Post your 0-60 times

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
I'm creating this thread primarily because an issue was reported in the CX-5 subforum regarding power loss in the turbo 2.5 engine in cold (20f and below) weather, but I figure this could also be a fun brag thread for those with other Mazda models.

Here are some TorquePro screenshots from a few runs I just did with my 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature (2.5T AWD). Temps were hovering around 34f (1c). I plan to do a couple more runs when temps hit 10f (-12c) to see if my CX-9 also experiences power loss in colder temps. The goal is to determine whether or not this is a tuning quirk that Mazda implemented to protect the turbocharged engine.

All of these runs were done on the same stretch of dry, clean roadway. OEM 20s with Blizzak DM-V2 tires. Acceleration was from a dead stop (no "brake boosting" or "torque braking"), pressing the pedal straight to the floor as fast as I could and engaging the kickdown switch. Heater was on for all runs because I forgot to turn it off (hand)

First run was with the engine cold (blue temp indicator still on the dash).
Second run was with the engine warm.
Third run was with the engine warm, and my Sprint Booster set to "Race 7".

EDIT: Sorry for the large sizes, I'll resize them in future posts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1strun_Screenshot_2019-10-16-10-59-18-289_org.prowl.torque.png
    1strun_Screenshot_2019-10-16-10-59-18-289_org.prowl.torque.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 373
  • 2ndrun_Screenshot_2019-10-16-11-00-49-181_org.prowl.torque.png
    2ndrun_Screenshot_2019-10-16-11-00-49-181_org.prowl.torque.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 372
  • 3rdrun_Screenshot_2019-10-16-11-04-23-773_org.prowl.torque.png
    3rdrun_Screenshot_2019-10-16-11-04-23-773_org.prowl.torque.png
    216.6 KB · Views: 336
I'm creating this thread primarily because an issue was reported in the CX-5 subforum regarding power loss in the turbo 2.5 engine in cold (20f and below) weather, but I figure this could also be a fun brag thread for those with other Mazda models.

Here are some TorquePro screenshots from a few runs I just did with my 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature (2.5T AWD). Temps were hovering around 34f (1c). I plan to do a couple more runs when temps hit 10f (-12c) to see if my CX-9 also experiences power loss in colder temps. The goal is to determine whether or not this is a tuning quirk that Mazda implemented to protect the turbocharged engine.

All of these runs were done on the same stretch of dry, clean roadway. OEM 20s with Blizzak DM-V2 tires. Acceleration was from a dead stop (no "brake boosting" or "torque braking"), pressing the pedal straight to the floor as fast as I could and engaging the kickdown switch. Heater was on for all runs because I forgot to turn it off (hand)

Second run was with the engine warm.
Third run was with the engine warm, and my Sprint Booster set to "Race 7".

EDIT: Sorry for the large sizes, I'll resize them in future posts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've heard these app based measurements can be inaccurate and that you really need VBOX style device to accurately measure acceleration. In that sense, a normal video recording showing the speedometer may be more accurate (starting from before the pedal has been pressed down for maximum accuracy).

I dunno how to "time" it precisely, but...

Just to clarify, outside temps were above 20f during this run?

EDIT, nevermind, 50f is clearly visible on the instrument cluster (hand)

I've heard these app based measurements can be inaccurate and that you really need VBOX style device to accurately measure acceleration. In that sense, a normal video recording showing the speedometer may be more accurate (starting from before the pedal has been pressed down for maximum accuracy).

I'm not sure about that. You may be right. But for the purposes of my specific testing, I'm just trying to see if there's a difference in performance when the temps go below 20f. The parameters I've set in the app will not change, and I'll do my best to keep everything else the same when I do my cold weather test. You make a good point though, so I'll try to take a video of the speedo as well.

attachment.php

Did another run at -9c (16F).

attachment.php

It does appear that the engine loses some power at colder temps, based on my own crude testing. Keep in mind that I tried to keep parameters as consistent as I could, but other factors may also contribute to the difference in reported times. For example, tires are the same and testing track is the same. While pavement was dry during both tests, the most recent test had some blowing snow on the road, so there was likely some traction loss or a minimal amount of wheel spin, evidenced by the weird Max HP reading of 290hp at 1814rpm.

Attachments

• Cold.-9c_Screenshot_2019-11-12-13-37-26-375_org.prowl.torque.png
    Cold.-9c_Screenshot_2019-11-12-13-37-26-375_org.prowl.torque.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Back