16.5 CX5 GT- front defrost doesn't work well

NorgeBluEyes

:
2016.5 CX5 Grand Touring
Hey CX5ers, driving home from work tonight here in Denver, it's about 8 and blowing snow. I had my front defrost on full power the entire 45 minute drive and it wasn't keeping ice from bottom of windshield at all or really even the rest of the window and the wipers kept getting frozen in the stop position. Has anyone else experienced this? So far this is the only thing about my CX5 that hasn't been awesome, I LOVE it! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is to clear moisture from the inside of the window... not melt ice outside it. I think the car would be unbearably hot by the time it would reach the point it could melt it through the glass!

That is to clear moisture from the inside of the window... not melt ice outside it. I think the car would be unbearably hot by the time it would reach the point it could melt it through the glass!

Hmm, so you're saying that in my other car, and the previous cars I've driven for the last 20+ years; when I use the front defrost to both remove moisture from the inside of the window as well as help keep ice off the outside of the window I've been doing it wrong?

The heat from the defrost will warm (should) heat the window enough to not only deform the moisture but also transfer enough warmth 33+* to melt the ice, or snow.

The only thing is cold wind as you drive may keep some from melting. And of course as I'm sure you do in Colorado clear the snow from down by the wipers... In an old truck I had I used to use some aluminum to block part of the radiator to help keep the air out and warm the engine so the heater would get hotter....

The heat from the defrost will warm (should) heat the window enough to not only deform the moisture but also transfer enough warmth 33+* to melt the ice, or snow.

The only thing is cold wind as you drive may keep some from melting. And of course as I'm sure you do in Colorado clear the snow from down by the wipers... In an old truck I had I used to use some aluminum to block part of the radiator to help keep the air out and warm the engine so the heater would get hotter....

~ thanks~ :)
I've lived in both Colorado and Montana my whole life and clear all the snow/ice from the windshield, including below the wipers before driving. Especially on super cold days like today I often have to keep the defrost on to both keep off moisture from the inside and keep the outside from getting icy, which always works. Maybe it was just too cold for this little snow beast? :)
I remember having to do what you're saying about blocking part of the radiator in an old Jeep Wagoner I had years ago, it definitely helped!
I just wanted to know if anyone else with a CX5 had experienced this.

The original CX5 wipers are made by Denso and will resist the build up of ice on the wiper frame. If you have those fitted and the cabin filter is clean, it might be down to the glass which is designed to limit the transmission of temperature (compared to previous vehicles).

The original CX5 wipers are made by Denso and will resist the build up of ice on the wiper frame. If you have those fitted and the cabin filter is clean, it might be down to the glass which is designed to limit the transmission of temperature (compared to previous vehicles).

actually, they are made by NWB
"Denso" wipers, sold aftermarket, are made by NWB under contract... even Toyota (which owns Denso), buys from NWB

Proof of this is seen if you looked at the end of the rubber strip:
DSC_5219.jpg

⋯ I often have to keep the defrost on to both keep off moisture from the inside and keep the outside from getting icy, which always works. Maybe it was just too cold for this little snow beast? :)
Yeah I agree the front defrost should be able to keep your windshield from getting icy if you give it enough time. Were you setting temperature on HVAC high like 70+ degrees? Did you shut the outside air which was very cold? Did you set the vent direction mode to windshield only? Could you feel warm air coming out from defrost vents to the windshield? If you'd tried every possible way to help windshield getting warm air and it still failed, I guess the heater capacity is to blame.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with this super cold 8F weather anymore! :)

I think the filter should be clean, it's only a 16.5, bought in August. The blades were covered in ice, so I'm not sure what's going on. Thanks for the info

Yeah I agree the front defrost should be able to keep your windshield from getting icy if you give it enough time. Were you setting temperature on HVAC high like 70+ degrees? Did you shut the outside air which was very cold? Did you set the vent direction mode to windshield only? Could you feel warm air coming out from defrost vents to the windshield? If you'd tried every possible way to help windshield getting warm air and it still failed, I guess the heater capacity is to blame.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with this super cold 8F weather anymore! :)

The setting was 85, and it was on full front defrost which automatically sets it for fresh air, and to blow only on the windshield. The air blowing out was hot. My drive is 45+ minutes so the engine was plenty warm.
I think it may have just been too cold for it. It has worked fine the last couple of storms we had, but it wasn't this cold. We shall see what happens on my way in to this morning, temp is 2. Thanks for your input. :)

actually, they are made by NWB
"Denso" wipers, sold aftermarket, are made by NWB under contract... even Toyota (which owns Denso), buys from NWB

Proof of this is seen if you looked at the end of the rubber strip:
DSC_5219.jpg

Thanks for the info, I will check the blades today and see what kind they are. Any recommendations on better blades that won't collect ice? :) thanks

I know what you're talking about, and it can make one quite nervous when driving around in seriously bad weather. I suppose you could get real winter blades that basically have a rubber/plastic coating over the external metal frames that prevent some of the icing you've experienced. I haven't gone that route yet, because I don't experience it all that often.

I have been noticing this on a lot of the newer vehicles it seems as of late. One design change I've noticed over the years is that in todays world, the front defroster is a single vent/duct running along the center of the windshield. In the older days you had a front and passenger vent, which I think really helped to reach the further edges of a windshield.

The only other advice I can offer is just to make sure the car is nice and warmed up, and that as much ice/snow has been cleared off as is possible to prevent icing and buildup.

Lastly, I wish Mazda would offer that front windshield wiper de-icer that Subaru has, where it is similar to a rear defroster and has the elements placed directly underneath the wiper blades in their seated position to help keep them from icing up.

⋯ Lastly, I wish Mazda would offer that front windshield wiper de-icer that Subaru has, where it is similar to a rear defroster and has the elements placed directly underneath the wiper blades in their seated position to help keep them from icing up.
And the nozzle warmer on windshield washer like my VW Passat.

Minnesota here. I've driven in way colder temps than 8 and not had that problem. That said, 2 things come to mind. (1) I have a 2014 which has a thinner windshield than the the 2016's. (2) I use Rain-X on my windshield when it's warm enough to wash my CX-5 and I also add it to my washer fluid year-round. So perhaps that is why my mine haven't frozen?

On a separate side note, I still have the original wiper blades on my CX-5. I took delivery in August 2013! The rubber is still pliable and they DO NOT streak! I am sort of a "wiper nazi" (if there can be such a term) and am always on the lookout for the slightest issue with the wiper blades so I can replace them (just ask my Significant Other!). I bought a set of replacement rubbers 2 years ago in anticipation of replacing them - they are still in my garage cupboard, unneeded! Totally crazy!

Minnesota here. I've driven in way colder temps than 8 and not had that problem. That said, 2 things come to mind. (1) I have a 2014 which has a thinner windshield than the the 2016's. (2) I use Rain-X on my windshield when it's warm enough to wash my CX-5 and I also add it to my washer fluid year-round. So perhaps that is why my mine haven't frozen?

On a separate side note, I still have the original wiper blades on my CX-5. I took delivery in August 2013! The rubber is still pliable and they DO NOT streak! I am sort of a "wiper nazi" (if there can be such a term) and am always on the lookout for the slightest issue with the wiper blades so I can replace them (just ask my Significant Other!). I bought a set of replacement rubbers 2 years ago in anticipation of replacing them - they are still in my garage cupboard, unneeded! Totally crazy!

Yup, rain-x the glass. Cleaning the wipers can help too. I suspect theres enough surface contaminants to cause excess sticking.

I finally replaced my blades at the 3 year point. I think they either have an UV inhibitor in them, or my use of a car wash that has that helped protect the rubber.

And the nozzle warmer on windshield washer like my VW Passat.

GM had some big recall on their version of that. There are quite a few aftermarket options including just the use of copper tubing in line with washer hose and installed on the upper radiator hose if you don't want to add an electrical element to it. This option doesn't do you much good on a cold start though.

The stock wiper blades are designed to last 3 years because of the wide rubber design and that they're also graphite embedded... the graphite does cause some smearing though that lasts for less than a second for some people, but it's noticeable compared to normal wiper blades

Just a thought, I know your 2016.5 is just 5 months old, but have you checked the radiator fluid, when it's low, and cold out side you might not notice it, but you said it was not blowing hot air, and that could be a sign of low radiator fluid not getting pumped throughout the heater core....

For me, the heater picks up energy if the engine is doing a bit more than cruising in constant speed.
It does keep the window clear.
The wipers do catch ice and slowly become more and more ineffective. Also, the snow/ice collected at the bottom requires eventual manual cleaning.
The spray nozzles get frozen shut very quickly.

Overall, the spray nozzles and wiper situation is not very good for snow. I still have the original wipers, they do work fine in the rain. However, I will replace them before next winter to these all-rubber type wipers that can't get ice accumulation.

Latest posts

Back