Reverse lights don't work. Fuse and lights are good.

The reverse lights on my 2008 Mazda3 Hatchback stopped working. I looked online, some people said it might the Backup light switch but my car is automatic and it doesn't have it. Someone on the forum also said the problem is probably in the reverse sensor in the transmission that detects when the car is put in reverse. But I'm having trouble locating this. I called a local auto store and they said it might be the neutral safety switch. The fuses and light bulbs are good. Any help will be appreciated.

I wonder what putting your gear selector in neutral has to do with the backup lights. Traditionally, there would be a dedicated backup light switch. Perhaps the neutral safety switch does double duty?

I wonder what putting your gear selector in neutral has to do with the backup lights. Traditionally, there would be a dedicated backup light switch. Perhaps the neutral safety switch does double duty?

yes it is a combination backup/neutral safety switch

Thanks for all your help. It was exactly the neutral safety switch, the plastic was literally broken. As soon as I replaced it, the issue is gone. Thanks again for all your help.

Back