How are reverse backing up sensors supposed to operate?

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring
On my 2018 CX-5 GT I think I have the reverse parking/backing up sensors, but wondering if they are operating normally, I've never had that feature before.

When I put my car into reverse, it goes "beep, beep, beep, beep, beep" while I backup, even if nothing is behind me. I haven't tried to backup toward a solid object yet to see if the beeping changes.

Is that normal for it to beep when nothing is behind you? And what should I expect when I do backup with an object behind me?

Thanks

On my 2018 CX-5 GT I think I have the reverse parking/backing up sensors, but wondering if they are operating normally, I've never had that feature before.

When I put my car into reverse, it goes "beep, beep, beep, beep, beep" while I backup, even if nothing is behind me. I haven't tried to backup toward a solid object yet to see if the beeping changes.

Is that normal for it to beep when nothing is behind you? And what should I expect when I do backup with an object behind me?

Thanks

No, that is not normal. Now, on our's, that also has the front sensors, it will beep in reverse if there is an object in the front of the vehicle. To me that's odd, as my Lexus does not do that.

Thanks
Firstly, your 2018 CX-5 GT doesnt have rear parking sensors from factory. Yours is an add-on accessory or an aftermarket unit if you really have one. Verify it by checking if you have 2 small round sensors on your rear bumper.

Like Sig cx-5 said, the rear (or front) parking sensors should not act the way your described. It beeps only when theres an object near the bumper. Take the CX-5 back to your Mazda dealer for warranty service.

By the way, there*s an aftermarket device which is simply beeping whenever you shift the gear to reverse to warn the people near by. But that*s a loud beep.

I looked at my car's window sheet and it says it has "Parking Sensors." I also looked at the back of my car and there are 4 rear sensor dots. The sound I hear is only on the inside.

I recorded a video of what it sounds like in reverse, remember, this is with nothing behind me, and it happens everytime I put the car in reverse, even in an empty parking lot, everywhere I'm at.Is this normal?

https://youtu.be/YMiPpvYQyXc

Just to clarify, rear parking sensors are not standard equipment on the 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring, but they are a Mazda add on accessory you order with the car, just like roof rails and hitches. They are installed by Mazda (not sure if at the factory, at the port, or by the dealer).

As has been stated, the behaviour you describe is not normal.

Right, I absolutely understand that. I purchased the car used, not new.

So in the video I provided, I'm trying to determine if those are the rear parking sensors, and if they are operating correctly?

My car's window sticker has "Parking Sensors" on it, I have 4 sensor dots on the back, and that's the sound I hear in reverse even with nothing behind me, or moving, it does that sitting still in reverse.

So in the video I provided, I'm trying to determine if those are the rear parking sensors, and if they are operating correctly?

My car's window sticker has "Parking Sensors" on it, I have 4 sensor dots on the back, and that's the sound I hear in reverse even with nothing behind me, or moving, it does that sitting still in reverse.
If Parking Sensors, Rear is listed within your true factory window sticker, yours was installed at the port as a Mazda genuine accessory. The item is included in 3-year / 36K-mile new car warranty. Take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer to fix this parking sensor problem as yours is not normal.

No, that is not normal. Now, on our's, that also has the front sensors, it will beep in reverse if there is an object in the front of the vehicle. To me that's odd, as my Lexus does not do that.

This is actually a good feature that your front sensors are also active (along with the reverse sensors) when you are reversing in to a garage and turning at the same time, trying to avoid a fence in front of the garage. While you are concentrated in the rear of the car you might hit the fence or tree or wall or whatever that lies in front of the car. If it is a straight back up in to the garage, then there is less of that problem.

In your video I see a car behind you. I guess you also tried it with nothing behind you too, and it still beeps.

Correct, it does that every single time I backup no matter where I'm at, always does it, with nothing behind me... that car was off to the left in the video, not behind the car... but yeah, all the time it does it

It only takes one bad ultrasonic sensor out of the 4 to trigger a warning sound. Luckily it is covered under warranty.

Just an update, I took it to the dealership and the sensors are indeed not working correctly. However, there is a posted TSB about the issue "Some vehicles may exhibit the rear parking sensor beeping without any obstacles behind it when the shift lever is shifted into Reverse."

He showed me the repair procedure, they basically have to back-track all the cabling for the rear sensors along the entire car to pinpoint the wire interference causing the problem. It's a wiring interference problem. It's very involved, can take 4-5 hours to diagnose, they have to remove panels and parts and the dashboard on the car to gain access to the wiring, it's very complex to diagnose where the problem is in the wiring and then fix it. My dealership has never encountered this issue before, so it's the first one for them.

Thankfull it's all under warranty. I just have to drop the car off to them and leave it there a whole day so they can work on it, which I scheduled for Tuesday, so I'll chime in back in once it's fixed to confirm what exactly was causing it for ya'll for future reference.

That's interesting.

I wonder what type of signal is being sent from the sensors that is subject to interference?
And it sounds like the interference can come from lots of sources, not just a specific frequency or type.

Maybe needs shielded cable.

If it were me, I would not have it repaired. You just hope the dash and panels are reinstalled so you don't develop rattles and strange noises. The sensor is nice but just use your mirror.

If it were me, I would not have it repaired. You just hope the dash and panels are reinstalled so you don't develop rattles and strange noises. The sensor is nice but just use your mirror.

OP's referring to back-up sensors, not blind-spot.

OP's referring to back-up sensors, not blind-spot.

I understand. I was referring to when the OP backs up, use the mirror. I have used the mirror to back up for decades and still use the mirror until the sensor beeps. It is nice to hear the beep and stop but, to me, not worth having the dash removed.

Back