For those who had the dealer change your oil, where on the dipstick does it show?

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
If you had the dealership change your oil, would you check your dipstick? Did the dealerships fill your car to the full mark? Or did they fill it to be in the middle of low and full? Thanks in advance

Full is correct. 1/2 way between full and add is not acceptable. Check on level ground after a 5+ minute shutdown. This is my opinion because I do my own. Ed

Last edited:
If you had the dealership change your oil, would you check your dipstick? Did the dealerships fill your car to the full mark? Or did they fill it to be in the middle of low and full? Thanks in advance
I do all oil changes by myself unless there's the free maintenance comes with the new car offered by manufacture. Based on reports of others this depends on too many factors. But over-fill after the oil change by dealers seems to be a common thing. So I'd check dipstick and verify the oil level after any oil change by a dealership.

Just did the first oil change on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA / Mazda2 from Toyota's 2-year free maintenance program which comes with every new Toyota vehicle. For sure the Toyota dealer I went over-filled the oil by at least ⅓ quart. I checked the oil level because the invoice states the tech requested 5 quart-bottles of Toyota Genuine 0W-20 full-synthetic oil, but the spec from owner's manual says oil change quantity is 4.5 quarts. I went back to Toyota dealer and talked to the tech who did the oil change、saved factory Mazda Japanese oil filter、and collected sample for me from factory oil. He said he followed the Toyota factory guideline, and it says 4.6 quarts. I asked him to give me back the rest of 0.4 quart Toyota oil, he said he'd already used it in other vehicle. But he said he can save the leftover oil and give it back to me next time I come in for free maintenance as long as I request it in advance. We'll see.

Full is correct. 1/2 way between full and add is not acceptable. Check on level ground after a 5+ minute shutdown. This is my opinion because I do my own. Ed

Do you have to add more than 5 qrts to get it to the max line?
Every single time I've done it, 5 qrts puts me exactly in the middle of the low and Max lines so that's where I leave it.

Common experience shows that 5qrts is not enough to get to the max mark.
On my last change I put all the 5 bottles and it sits a little bit above the middle on the oil dipstick.
Dealers usually use bulk oil so I assume they get it to the max or above.

a 5 quart jug gets me to within ~ 1/8 inch below the max line which I accept as good. Ed

I do my own. Having the 2.0 L with only like 4.4-4.5 quart capacity, I worry that theyll overfill with 5 quarts with so many 2.5L CX-5s out there now

Do you have to add more than 5 qrts to get it to the max line?
Every single time I've done it, 5 qrts puts me exactly in the middle of the low and Max lines so that's where I leave it.

Yes, more than 5 Qts on the 2.5L NA to get to full dot. I think 5 qts. gets it close enough personally.

Changed my oil and my oil pan...this is where they put it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• oil.jpeg
    oil.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 879
Changed my oil and my oil pan...this is where they put it.

attachment.php
I wonder why therere so many oil over-filled stories by dealers oil change. Is it because they believe customers tend to be happier when they see more oil given by the dealer (the more, the better)?

BTW, have you noticed any oil capacity difference after you received new and revised oil pan?

I wonder why there*re so many oil over-filled stories by dealer*s oil change. Is it because they believe customers tend to be happier when they see more oil given by the dealer (the more, the better)?

BTW, have you noticed any oil capacity difference after you received new and revised oil pan?
They were genuinely surprised when I complained about it, deer in the headlights kind of look, so apparently they don't don't get this complaint. They asked me if it was a hot level or cold level, my reply was that it didn't matter because it was way overfilled. Yes capacity seems to be more as I've commented in other threads. Used to be a tad under 5 quarts would put me at the fill line, now it takes more.

I notice when I use 5 quarts...yes 5 quarts of oil into 2.5l engine but with oil filter filled up the level is low-to-middle.

No oil into filter and its between middle to max.

I notice when I use 5 quarts...yes 5 quarts of oil into 2.5l engine but with oil filter filled up the level is low-to-middle.

No oil into filter and its between middle to max.

When mine was filled up, my 2015, I always brought them 5 quarts of oil. With a filter change, it was always a bit above the top hole on the dipstick. Like I said...these sticks and pans and whatever vary.

All oil changes since new have been dealer.Most times it's at the full mark or slightly below.I think the lowest was the factory fill at halfway between the marks.Also remember that oil expands when hot so in 5 qts there could be 1/4 qt or more higher level than cold.

All oil changes since new have been dealer.Most times it's at the full mark or slightly below.I think the lowest was the factory fill at halfway between the marks.Also remember that oil expands when hot so in 5 qts there could be 1/4 qt or more higher level than cold.
This is why I have always been good with a 5 quart jug.

Agreed, when I change mine it'll be a 5 qt jug and call it good.No sense obsessing over oil level if it's in range.On previous 4 cylinders I've owned that held 4 qts total,a quart down was alot so I'd top off at 1/2 qt down.With a 5 qt capacity on an engine that doesn't use little if any oil, no sweat.

This's totally against my experience. While engine oil may expand when hot, but the volume increase is very minimum comparing to some other fluid such as ATF. That's why we've seen the manufactures which always require the ATF temperature measurement while checking the ATF level as the volume would change significantly with temperature changes. But we've never seen any car manufactures which asks to check oil temperature while taking the oil level measurement. The oil level will always be a bit LOWER when engine is hot. The oil level is lower is because plenty of oil hasn't got drained back to the oil pan, and it has nothing to do with oil temperature. Making sure most oil drained back to oil pan is the key to measure the oil level, not the oil temperature. That's why I prefer to check oil level the first thing in the morning before the engine start and this's the preferred way since my first vehicle. Also with this way it's very easy to read the oil level on dipstick without the need to wipe the dipstick clean.

Back