Deal on Blizzak WS80's

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
So I was searching tires again and this pops up. $87.27 each. $369 for 4.

WS80's

What am I missing here, or is this just a great deal and I should shut up and buy them already?

Last edited:
Maybe overstock, maybe end of winter tire sales season? Sounds cheap.
Blizzaks may no longer be the very best, but they still should be great, especially at that price.

So I was searching tires again and this pops up. $87.27 each. $369 for 4.

WS80's

What am I missing here, or is this just a great deal and I should shut up and buy them already?
If you really feel you need a set of snow tires, this Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 for such a good price definitely is an excellent opportunity to get a set. You also need a set of 17 wheels too.

If you really feel you need a set of snow tires, this Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 for such a good price definitely is an excellent opportunity to get a set. You also need a set of 17” wheels too.

Truthfully I had another bad weekend this past weekend. My tires couldn't handle it.

I would normally not go the 2 different sets route, but February me is liking under $400 for a set of tires. Can worry about a new regular set in a few months.

Can't they just put them on my existing wheels?

Why couldn't they? You've got 17s, right?

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but you may find that the Blizzaks are so good on a dry road that you MIGHT keep them on in the summer if you really wanted/needed to for some reason. Of course, there are many reasons to NOT run them year round. But if money's tight in April, it would be an option. This deal is so cheap it wouldn't hurt quite as bad to waste the tread on dry roads. Then again, I think I remember you described yourself as a spirited driver, and they're NOT real good for that.
(drive2)

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but you may find that the Blizzaks are so good on a dry road that you MIGHT keep them on in the summer if you really wanted/needed to for some reason. Of course, there are many reasons to NOT run them year round. But if money's tight in April, it would be an option. This deal is so cheap it wouldn't hurt quite as bad to waste the tread on dry roads. Then again, I think I remember you described yourself as a spirited driver, and they're NOT real good for that.
(drive2)

Yep, just my regular OEM 17inch wheels.

Money will be less tight in a few months. I was just going to wait to get new tires, but after another weekend of tires not performing when it snowed, it seemed like a decent deal to go with in the interim. I am a spirited driver, so would put regular tires back on in the summer.

Truthfully I had another bad weekend this past weekend. My tires couldn't handle it.

I would normally not go the 2 different sets route, but February me is liking under $400 for a set of tires. Can worry about a new regular set in a few months.

You sure can put these Blizzak WS80's on your existing OE wheels. But you have to pay dismounting and mounting fee with balancing every time you switch the tires which wont be cheap. Youre also running into the risk of getting the wheel scratched due to frequent mounting and dismounting.

Dont remember the condition of your current tires, but if theyre more than half-worn at about 4/32 tread depth, you may consider to get a new set of all season tires which will have better performance than your current tires during the winter.

Or you can always drive slower and be more cautious on icy road condition trying to survive the winter with your current all-season tires.

I think Ive figured out why the price is low on this Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. Its because Bridgestone has discounted 225/65R17 size in this tire and WalMart.com apparently bought some last batch from Bridgestone for good price.

You sure can put these Blizzak WS80's on your existing OE wheels. But you have to pay dismounting and mounting fee with balancing every time you switch the tires which won’t be cheap. You’re also running into the risk of getting the wheel scratched due to frequent mounting and dismounting.

Don’t remember the condition of your current tires, but if they’re more than half-worn at about 4/32” tread depth, you may consider to get a new set of all season tires which will have better performance than your current tires during the winter.

Or you can always drive slower and be more cautious on icy road condition trying to survive the winter with your current all-season tires.

I think I’ve figured out why the price is low on this Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. It’s because Bridgestone has discounted 225/65R17 size in this tire and WalMart.com apparently bought some last batch from Bridgestone for good price.

Ah, that makes sense. I'll look at getting some wheels later most likely. Not an expense I am willing to pay upfront at the moment. One of my wheels is scratched up from a hit and run last year (minor, but left some damage to a wheel). Tried to follow the punk but lost him.

My current all-seasons are probably about 5-6/32nd. Not quite down to 4 yet.

I was thinking along the lines of some new all-seasons, but I'm cheap right now, so $370 for 4 tires + install sounds nice.

Thanks guys...I'm going to put in a couple of inquiries for install costs, and mull it around.

I would just wait, but that's 2 weekends even driving slow that I slid around too much for my comfort. So more approaching this from a safety standpoint + being cheap.

Last edited:

(drive2)
There probably wouldn't be enough useful tread left for the following winter if you did that. Snow tires don't like warm weather. Would be a big waste of money.

There probably wouldn't be enough useful tread left for the following winter if you did that. Snow tires don't like warm weather. Would be a big waste of money.

Yeah, if I get these I will also get another set for the summer or use my current all-seasons 1 more summer.

Could be a good way to make me feel a little safer in the current weather and maybe postpone a $600+ new regular tire expense to next year.

that is a great deal, honestly I'd buy them right away.

blizzaks are more toward the heavy snow side (meaning they are loud, more rough and less economical than some other winter tires) and apparently after the 50% treadwear point it essentially becomes an all season tire, and the treadwear is not very good with this tire but they are quite excellent in harsh conditions. just keep in mind something like those yokohama iceguard's i mentioned in the past will outlast those blizzaks by a long shot, especially if your winter driving isnt all snowy, non dry conditions.

but i digress.... that's one hell of a deal. just buy them.

Depends on the tire, I guess. And your mileage of course. I've done it successfully [not successively] several times in the post-stud era.

that is a great deal, honestly I'd buy them right away.

blizzaks are more toward the heavy snow side (meaning they are loud, more rough and less economical than some other winter tires) and apparently after the 50% treadwear point it essentially becomes an all season tire, and the treadwear is not very good with this tire but they are quite excellent in harsh conditions. just keep in mind something like those yokohama iceguard's i mentioned in the past will outlast those blizzaks by a long shot, especially if your winter driving isnt all snowy, non dry conditions.

but i digress.... that's one hell of a deal. just buy them.

Yeah I was leaning away from Blizzaks for that reason as we will have warm 50 degree+ days in between snow.

But it's a damn good price...

Yeah I was leaning away from Blizzaks for that reason as we will have warm 50 degree+ days in between snow.

But it's a damn good price...

For the price it doesn’t matter much.. unless you can score a good deal on tires with exemplary treadwear, you won’t be saving much more money elsewhere with other tires.

I remember going out for the first drive in the snow after putting winter tires onto my BMW. You will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner. Maybe I like them so much because they are really smooth and quiet on dry pavement for a winter tire though.

If the damn diesel was out I'd be all over those tires. That's a great deal.

I'm 75% sure I am buying them now. Probably make up my mind by tomorrow.

Mainly I want to get it done in one place, so shot the page over to Discount to see if they'd match. Doubting it, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
That is a good price but I'm not a fan of the Blizzaks for the fact that they become all-seasons after 50% of tread life. At that point you might as well run them through the summer and buy another set the following fall.

I did have a set of WS-50s years ago on my P5 that did the job but again, became all-seasons and they were quite loud and squishy on dry pavement.

That is a good price but I'm not a fan of the Blizzaks for the fact that they become all-seasons after 50% of tread life. At that point you might as well run them through the summer and buy another set the following fall.

I did have a set of WS-50s years ago on my P5 that did the job but again, became all-seasons and they were quite loud and squishy on dry pavement.

Yeah, I read that too about them. Sort of my one pause in this situation.

Will you be mounting your winter tires on a seperate winter rim set? You can find a good deal on the classifieds for some nice rims (not those black steelies) if you are patient

Back