Upgraded MZD firmware successfully on my own

andre6_

:
Mazda CX-9 GS-L 2017 AWD
I don't bother to go to the Stealership for any service unless if I have too. I wanted to do the AIO tweaks but haven't got the time to try rip out my head unit yet. Instead I upgraded the firmware on my own.

Previous firmware: 59.00.502NA
Current firmware: 59.00.545NA

It took about 20-30 minutes for the update to complete. Noticeable benefits are boot time from starting the car to using the system is much much faster. Almost could go in and use the system. I did upgraded my maps as well but all my radio stations are still there. Map history and address is there as well. Did not loose any features or gain any. The pros would be the quick boot time.

Question if anyone done this before:
Since I was able to upgrade the firmware successfully, would it be safe to downgrade the firmware? Obviously I wanted to downgrade it to the version before 59.00.502 so that I could install the autorun script then put it back to the latest version firmware. If it works then we do not need access the back of the head unit and hook up a USB to it.

Question if anyone done this before:
Since I was able to upgrade the firmware successfully, would it be safe to downgrade the firmware? Obviously I wanted to downgrade it to the version before 59.00.502 so that I could install the autorun script then put it back to the latest version firmware. If it works then we do not need access the back of the head unit and hook up a USB to it.

It's not possible to downgrade to the .441 version via USB. Maybe the dealer can reflash the unit to that specific version but it would be hard to justify.

How do you flash firmware and where do you find new versions of firmware?

Last edited:
How do you flash firmware and where do you find new versions of firmware?

I got it from another forum so this is cross posted. I am not sure if I could mention it here. Go try to look it up on your own. I went to Mazda 3 revolution . com

It's not possible to downgrade to the .441 version via USB. Maybe the dealer can reflash the unit to that specific version but it would be hard to justify.

Thanks, but then there is no schematic or how to guide to install the autorun script using the TTL USB adaptor for the CX-9 2016-2018.

Thanks, but then there is no schematic or how to guide to install the autorun script using the TTL USB adaptor for the CX-9 2016-2018.

Everyone with these models is looking for them. :/ Mine is 2018 and the current infotainment is horrible. There is no auto lock for doors, which is crazy and can result in some serious accidents.

Everyone with these models is looking for them. :/ Mine is 2018 and the current infotainment is horrible. There is no auto lock for doors, which is crazy and can result in some serious accidents.

What? There is no auto lock? Mine locks when I go over a certain speed.

Mine has auto lock. You need to put the car in ACC II or start the car but in park position. Go to settings and security\door (something like that). I even have walk away lock but I don't like it after testing it out. As soon as I walk away from the driver door it locks the car.

Try reading the manual, for starters.

As for auto lock, my personal view is that this is a dangerous feature that should be disabled.
If I'm ever in an accident, and I end up hurt bad and unconscious and the doors are locked, how does anyone get me out, especially if it looks like the car might catch on fire?
I want those doors in the unlocked state in case of an accident.

I am not saying that Mazda has this function, but some manufacturers automatically unlock all doors when the car detects an accident.

Where can I download the latest version of the MZD firmware? 59.00.545 NA

You can go here: https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware/NA_N

Get the failsafe.up and reinstall.up for the same version.

@Atxyde

Thank you! Is there a .600 releasing soon? Just curious.

No idea but hopefully next version will come with AA and Apple Carplay. Apparently, after some parts retrofitted by the dealer, I guess.

Back