Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

Bells shmells gen2rs..I'll take the car length and gross lack of sound deadening all day long baby yeah.
Did they really think the tubbier dude in the tubbier vehicle was going to prevail via 3 hp 1 extra lb-ft? Superleggera ftw!
I got the pre-lifted extra superleggera so don't roll up beside me newbs haha

Last edited:
No surprises here...

Add to the list of reasons I would not upgrade my 2014 to a Gen 2.

Not that I am ever racing it (its not a race car), but as a spirited driver, that was bad.

Last edited:
No surprises here...

Add to the list of reasons I would not upgrade my 2014 to a Gen 2.

Not that I am ever racing it (its not a race car), but as a spirited driver, that was bad.

...but...but...sound-deadening! Refinement! Suddenly these are NOT driver's cars, but luxury vehicles, and who cares about a half second 0-60 and so forth?

This forum is so whimsical. I wish the people from 2015 could have been presented with the idea of a bit slower but much more refined CX5...oh wait....I did that! LOL, that old thread is priceless!

^^See how wrong you were? #STOMPED!!
Joking aside I'm not in a rush to upgrade both because I still like my car and I don't want to get slower and slightly less connected feeling in the process..unless I'm idk 30% more efficient yeah that would ease the pain. Early gen1s pulling bank though now that they've evidently ruined them!!

Last edited:
I think the extra inertia of the 2016 with CD player spinning helps too...

...but...but...sound-deadening! Refinement! Suddenly these are NOT driver's cars, but luxury vehicles, and who cares about a half second 0-60 and so forth?

This forum is so whimsical. I wish the people from 2015 could have been presented with the idea of a bit slower but much more refined CX5...oh wait....I did that! LOL, that old thread is priceless!

If I remember that thread right you also wanted a bigger gas tank to add even more weight.

As it stands, my CX-5 is closer in weight to a 2015 Miata than it is to a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD.
(popcorn)

haha, that's great. I wonder if these guys did this test just to start forum fights :)

IMO it seems a pretty unsurprising trade-off, which some people will find acceptable/desirable, and others will balk at (especially if they are currently a pre-17/18 owner).

I test drove a 16.5 twice a number of months before buying the '17. I really liked the car, but found it a tad buzzy at lower speeds and louder than I hoped on the highway. So I waited for the opportunity to test drive a '17 and found it significantly less so. I would have been hard pressed to notice any extra acceleration prowess of the previous model vs. new, but even if I did I'm not sure it would have changed my decision.

If I was shopping for a sports car, then a half or full car length 0-60 difference between previous/current gen models would be a big deal to me, even IF the newer model had a few more bells and whistles.

Fun video though, and great fodder for a forum battle!

I have not seen the video yet because I'm at work. Does anyone know if they used the same tires on both cars? Also I take it from the comments here, that the 2016 won?

If I remember that thread right you also wanted a bigger gas tank to add even more weight.

As it stands, my CX-5 is closer in weight to a 2015 Miata than it is to a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD.
(popcorn)

I would like a bigger gas tank. I was holding out for the diesel, but relented and got a 2018. I'm happier with how it drives than I expected, but the 300 mile range is sad.

I posted a thread where I gave my impressions on sitting in a 2017, but I think you summed it up for me even better in the bolded as to why I did not enjoy my time sitting in said 2017.

The CX-5 NEVER WAS a "driver's car". It's always been a CUV, and a slow one at that. It drives better than any other CUV in its price range, but that's setting a pretty low bar.
Gen1 is a bit faster and has less agressive stability control than Gen2, but it's still just a slow, fat wagon.
Now it's quieter and more comfortable, and a slightly, just slightly, slower and fatter wagon.
And I love it.

It was the "driver's cuv" up to the 2016 model. By that I mean, the justification most publications made for getting the CX-5 over its competitors, was that it was the CUV for the owner who loves driving. That is no longer the case with the 2017+ models.

That said, I will say that the throttle mapping in the 2017+ models is a lot better than the one in the 2016 CX-5. The newer models might be slower, but they are more responsive in everyday driving.

Gotta disagree..its still the cheap drivers CUV just slightly less so but it still is- I feel like they tried to compensate for the added slowness with a quicker throttle response that imo does more harm than good- for one I've little doubt that is a big contributing factor to the pretty sharp drop in real world fe.

It was the "driver's cuv" up to the 2016 model. By that I mean, the justification most publications made for getting the CX-5 over its competitors, was that it was the CUV for the owner who loves driving. That is no longer the case with the 2017+ models.

That said, I will say that the throttle mapping in the 2017+ models is a lot better than the one in the 2016 CX-5. The newer models might be slower, but they are more responsive in everyday driving.

If it's not the "driver's cuv" now, what is [under $35k] ????

I've never driven a Gen1, but if the throttle mapping is improved, who cares if Gen2's a tad slower? Isn't driveability more important than drags?

I don't understand the rivalry between KE and KF owners. They are what they are. We should all be one big happy family. And like most families, don't we just love to argue!

Gotta disagree..its still the cheap drivers CUV just slightly less so but it still is- I feel like they tried to compensate for the added slowness with a quicker throttle response that imo does more harm than good- for one I've little doubt that is a big contributing factor to the pretty sharp drop in real world fe.

There's that yeah. The fuel economy numbers in Fuelly for the 2017 and up models don't look good. Maybe that's why they're adding cylinder deactivation to the 2018 model LOL.

It really is the "cheap" driver's CUV in its category, namely mainstream CUVs.

Last edited:
Back