Automatic trans can be shifted manually, correct?

wbw

:
'16 Chevy Equinox 3.6 AWD, 2017 VW GTI
I know that the 2019 CX5 Turbo doesn't have paddle shifters (I wish it did) , but it could be shifted manually with the gear lever, correct? Being able to start up from a standstill in 2nd gear when in snow might be helpful. That 310 lb./ft. of torque is very appealing to me. Unless it's snowing. The intelligent AWD system is probably smart enough to limit torque, but it still might be nice to start in 2nd sometimes.

Thanks for any input.

Yes you can shift manually, but in the snow and ice the AWD does a great job by itself.

Within reason though. If you do anything that may harm the tranny it will revert to auto. Because of this, I don't think you can come to a stop and remain in any other gear other then 1. If you're in Man mode it will drop to 1 when you stop.

Within reason though. If you do anything that may harm the tranny it will revert to auto. Because of this, I don't think you can come to a stop and remain in any other gear other then 1. If you're in Man mode it will drop to 1 when you stop.

That is my experience, as well. My LT1 Trans Am was an automatic, and had a "start in 2nd" option for low traction surfaces. I thought it would be kindof cool, but with today's better traction control systems, superfluous.

When you are at a stop, and not moving, I think the system will automatically put you in 1st gear. I don't know if the system will let you shift up to 2 without first getting the car moving.

When you are at a stop, and not moving, I think the system will automatically put you in 1st gear. I don't know if the system will let you shift up to 2 without first getting the car moving.

I agree. I would think that they all would drop you into 1st when stopped. But I could shift my Veloster into 2nd while standing still as well as doing so in my current Equinox. Maybe someone could try it out for me with the Mazda.

Yes, defaults to 1st at stop in manual mode, but yes you can shift to 2nd while stopped- I do it all the time...disclaimer- 2.5 OG MY- but I highly doubt that's changed, same for the back to upshift, forward to downshift orientation.. thankfully- if it was opposite as many are I'd use it almost never.

Last edited:

I don't know of any other autos that WILL let you harm them via user error though..you?

Yes it will. At least my 2014 will. Pop into manual mode next time you are at a complete stop, it will let you shift it up to 2.

Something we should all know. From the manual:
Capture6.JPG

Brilliant Shado.

Although I thought you really only need to do this if you a) don't have AWD or b) had a car with some serious FWD power.

I have been driving my 2017 CX5 Manual mode except on slow moving traffic. Better control with acceleration and snow. More fun when you are on the twisties so much different when driving on auto.

I have been driving my 2017 CX5 Manual mode except on slow moving traffic. Better control with acceleration and snow. More fun when you are on the twisties so much different when driving on auto.

That's why I wish it had paddle shifters. I drive my GTI in manual mode all of the time. I probably won't be buying until 2020. Maybe the CX5 will have them by then.

Nobody tried installing paddles in the new generation CX5, yet?
On the previous gen, it was easy to install it.
attachment.php

20181004_073451.jpg

Yes it will. At least my 2014 will. Pop into manual mode next time you are at a complete stop, it will let you shift it up to 2.

Cool. I have to say, I have never tried that. The car does auto-drop to 1st and I shift up once I am moving but it is good to know.

Nobody tried installing paddles in the new generation CX5, yet?
On the previous gen, it was easy to install it.
attachment.php

View attachment 220372

Yes, I have been waiting for a GEN2 paddle install writeup...

The paddle shifters we had installed in our 2016.5 continue to be the #1 favorite option of my wife and I. (drive) #2 Favorite was replacing the OE tires.

One of the reasons we just bought out our lease on our 2016.5, instead of leasing the 2019, was that we enjoyed the paddle shifters so much, and the new CX-5's still did not offer one.(notcool)

That's why I wish it had paddle shifters. I drive my GTI in manual mode all of the time. I probably won't be buying until 2020. Maybe the CX5 will have them by then.

Im very interested in this answer, it seems possible without digging to deep. I link a thread for 2016 Cx-9 owners are trying to retrofit, I think the Cx5 has the same wheel as 2017 mazda 6 and also CX3 that both have paddles. I highly interested in the 2019 Cx-5 GTR or Signature to replace my 2016 GTI Performance w 6spd manual. Before the GTI i had a 3 year break in Manual cars with my 14 CX5 GT AWD, need atleast paddle shifters if no manual. Id like to come back to Cx5 because I really liked but it was missing some things that the 2015 refresh and 2017MY corrected (sport mode, not lazy trans, more power, Quieter, Vented seats, paddle shifters, ect.) and now 2.5T on 19 GTR!

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862825-install-paddle-shifters-in-my-CX-9

Back