2018 CX-5 showing incorrect text message name, can't figure it out

:
2018 CX-5 GT AWD
I recently purchased a 2018 CX-5 GT and love the car. But I have had an issue since day one with text messages. When receiving text messages the name displayed on the screen is incorrect rather than the contact that is actually sending the message. I'm using a Galaxy S9+ and have tried repairing and so far nothing has worked. Sometimes the name is correct but most of the time it is someone completely different. Has anyone run into this and figured out how to fix it? It's been pretty frustrating to say the least. Thanks in advance for any help!

Vspot - see my post: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...Message-Name-Display-is-Incorrect-2018-CX5-GT

That was on a Galaxy s7 Edge. I have since upgraded to a Galaxy Note 8 and the same issue persists- they both are current on OS patch levels. On top of that I just got the latest Mazda firmware update this morning and that that didn't address it either. So clearly it's something with the newer Galaxy S phone perhaps in conjunction with carrier. I use Sprint. Very frustrating! The other day the name that popped up was my deceased nephew who I can't get myself to erase from my phonebook. :-(

I've read your post before hoping to get some answers but so far I've been unsuccessful. What's wierd is my wife's s8+ relays message names perfectly without issue. I was thinking it was some sort of contact list discrepancy but I don't see why. Have you tried doing a factory reset on your phone yet? It was the next thing on my list to try. It really sucks that this is happening. Like you said, I'll get messages saying it's someone I haven't spoken to in years!

This is a long shot, but check your contacts to see if any of them have leading spaces or non-alphanumeric characters.
Just a wild guess.

Yeah I haven't done that yet, that's kinda why I want to try a factory reset and then just add contacts manually. Is there any way I can just add certain contacts to the infotainment system or do I have to import my entire contact list? I see there is an option to add contacts manually but when I select it nothing comes up. Another question, does the infotainment system store contacts or are they imported every time the phone is connected?

This is a long shot, but check your contacts to see if any of them have leading spaces or non-alphanumeric characters.
Just a wild guess.

My contact list (Google) has roughly 800 contacts. Some of them start with a number and some have special characters including parenthesis but that is only relevant on sort as when they are displayed as Google although depending on the sort order of the phone they do show up. However none of those contacts have shown as incorrect.

Yeah I haven't done that yet, that's kinda why I want to try a factory reset and then just add contacts manually. Is there any way I can just add certain contacts to the infotainment system or do I have to import my entire contact list? I see there is an option to add contacts manually but when I select it nothing comes up. Another question, does the infotainment system store contacts or are they imported every time the phone is connected?

Vspot415 - factory reset did not fix/address the problem so don't waste your time. I think by default the contacts do re-download but that is changeable in the settings. Not sure what would happen if you had a new contact and got a call/text from them. Perhaps the contact list is only relevant if you want to store a voicetag/favorite through Mazda's speaking controls (on the steering wheel).

One other thought I just had- what messaging app do you use? My default is Textra. Perhaps I'll change it back to the stock messaging app and test by having some people text me while that is set as the app.

I'm using the stock Samsung messaging app, thanks for heads up on the reset. Would hate to go through the entire setup all over for nothing. I'm really at road block with this. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening. I'm almost tempted to bring it back to Mazda and have them replace the infotainment system to see if that fixes the problem. I contacted Mazda and they have never heard of any issue. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the phone being an ebay international version. It's genuine Samsung phone but is a unlocked international version.

I'm almost tempted to bring it back to Mazda and have them replace the infotainment system to see if that fixes the problem. I contacted Mazda and they have never heard of any issue. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the phone being an ebay international version. It's genuine Samsung phone but is a unlocked international version.

Mazda replacing it?? LOL!

It's obviously something with your phone, since your wife's is fine. It's not the car.

An ebay phone? Hmmmmm.

You're going to have to troubleshoot what's wrong with that phone [check every possibly relevant setting], use a different app, get a new phone... or live with it.

Quit stressing and get to work. :)

Good luck!

Using a different app is literally easy as hell to do. Would take less then a few minutes. And going back to previous app would take just as long. It's SO easy. Viva La Android! I go through Messaging apps like Pretzels... well I did until I settled on Pulse.

Why you haven't tried this is just shameful. LOL :D

My local dealership said they would replace the system because they couldn't figure it out. I'm sure that's not the problem, but they gave me that option. I'm sure it's a phone issue. Do non-native messaging apps show notifications on the CX-5 screen? Any suggestions? I haven't tried a different messaging app yet, that's next on my list of to-do's. I'm stressing only because it gets awkward when driving with the wife and it says I got a message with the name of a chick back in high school on the screen when it really is my buddy or my mom haha thanks for the help

Lmao.
Having tried many, Pulse and Textra are the best and yes they work with our cars.

My local dealership said they would replace the system because they couldn't figure it out. I'm sure that's not the problem, but they gave me that option. I'm sure it's a phone issue. Do non-native messaging apps show notifications on the CX-5 screen? Any suggestions? I haven't tried a different messaging app yet, that's next on my list of to-do's. I'm stressing only because it gets awkward when driving with the wife and it says I got a message with the name of a chick back in high school on the screen when it really is my buddy or my mom haha thanks for the help

vspot415 much like a system reset on the phone wont't solve the issue (likely) I'm not confident that replacing the Infotainment will either. I suppose it can if there is a bug is some production lines but that seems unlikely. In the 5 months I've had the my CX5 I've had both a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge AND my newer Samsung Note 8 BOTH have the intermittent problem. And I don't use the native messaging app, I use TEXTRA. I was going to test using a different messaging app but seems as though that's unnecessary since you already use something different. FWIW my S7 is direct from Sprint (unlocked). My Note 8 was purchased on Swappa but the previous owner was on Sprint as well.

Mazda saying they've never heard of this problem is Mazda not being very diligent on logging details of their calls as I've called them about this (in fairness with a few other issues) and have a Case number. I've tried 3 different OS versions, the most recent one with the installation of Android Auto. The only thing they mentioned is that the phone(s) were not on their official list of supported phones (!). How a 2 plus year old Samsung Galaxy phone is still not supported is another issue but got the line "we are adding support all the time" line.

Based on our similarities and differences it appears as though it's not specific to carrier (Sprint) or application (stock, Textra) or firmware version of infotainment I've updated the patch level but both of my phones are running Android 8.0 (Oreo) so I can't speak to a version prior (Nougat). What version are you using? If it's Oreo maybe if you did reset to a prior version it would be worth it to see. Saving that my only thought is it's something with Samsung Galaxy S7 and above and just right now there aren't enough people that have spoken out on the issue? Is there anyone on this forum who is running S7/S8/S9 that is not experiencing this?

I would ask them to update the software 1st before swapping out the whole thing. Also, make sure your phone and all apps are fully updated as well

I use Pulse as it has a fully functioning nag free ad free version... Textra doesn't.

I would ask them to update the software 1st before swapping out the whole thing. Also, make sure your phone and all apps are fully updated as well
The last update I did was when I installed the AA/CP USB hub to enable Android Auto, does anyone have a link to the most recent firmwares? I can update it myself via thumb drive.

vspot415 much like a system reset on the phone wont't solve the issue (likely) I'm not confident that replacing the Infotainment will either. I suppose it can if there is a bug is some production lines but that seems unlikely. In the 5 months I've had the my CX5 I've had both a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge AND my newer Samsung Note 8 BOTH have the intermittent problem. And I don't use the native messaging app, I use TEXTRA. I was going to test using a different messaging app but seems as though that's unnecessary since you already use something different. FWIW my S7 is direct from Sprint (unlocked). My Note 8 was purchased on Swappa but the previous owner was on Sprint as well.

Mazda saying they've never heard of this problem is Mazda not being very diligent on logging details of their calls as I've called them about this (in fairness with a few other issues) and have a Case number. I've tried 3 different OS versions, the most recent one with the installation of Android Auto. The only thing they mentioned is that the phone(s) were not on their official list of supported phones (!). How a 2 plus year old Samsung Galaxy phone is still not supported is another issue but got the line "we are adding support all the time" line.

Based on our similarities and differences it appears as though it's not specific to carrier (Sprint) or application (stock, Textra) or firmware version of infotainment I've updated the patch level but both of my phones are running Android 8.0 (Oreo) so I can't speak to a version prior (Nougat). What version are you using? If it's Oreo maybe if you did reset to a prior version it would be worth it to see. Saving that my only thought is it's something with Samsung Galaxy S7 and above and just right now there aren't enough people that have spoken out on the issue? Is there anyone on this forum who is running S7/S8/S9 that is not experiencing this?

Both phones are on Oreo but every carrier has a different build. I was wondering why the car sometimes gets the names right. It has to do with TouchWiz on oreo or some issue with the contact list. Have no idea at this point. Hope it's a simple firmware fix, my lease just started and don't wanna deal with this the whole time.

Back