the p5nugget

(u_u) ...zZzZzzz
Hello. Starting a thread to keep track of maintenance, to do lists, and post photos. Picked up this P5 as a daily/backup car in November 2015 to replace a civic hatchback. Since I have a bunch of protege parts laying around, a p5 made sense. For now at least. The wife uses the p5 when her car is down for repair too so that's pretty cool.

Picked up this car with 185k on it. The engine was dusty but everything was intact. Most of the issues on the car were cosmetic. Driver fender appeared matte and dented up from a slight fender bender. Driver side sideskirt was hanging off. Corner of the front bumper right under the fog light was punched in. Headlights were cloudy and fog lights were missing. Interior was pretty neglected and missing rear speakers.

Maintenance:
  • 186,000 miles: installed deeza lower control arms
  • 191,000 miles: timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, thermostat
  • 195,500 miles: transmission gear oil changed
  • 197,730 miles: replaced rear passenger caliper, readjusted ebrake, bled brakes
  • 199,915 miles: replaced bad primary cat with manzo header. installed used primary (125k) and secondary o2 (59k) sensors
  • 199,950 miles: installed beck/arnley outer tie rods
  • 201,600 miles: new front struts
  • 202,700 miles: oil change
  • 203,800 miles: all within 1 tank of gas, new strut mounts & bearings, driver side inner tie rod, driver side LCA, driver side hub & wheel bearing
  • 204,757 miles: last oil change

Goodies:
  • OEM MSP headlights w/ H4 LEDs
  • Yellow fog overlays
  • MP3 short shifter & shift knob
  • MP3 ECU (borrowed from Gabe710)
  • Tein S-Tech springs
  • Manzo Header
  • DIY intake
  • Generic antenna from eBay
  • MSP rear sway bar with CR3 rear sway bar brackets

To do list in no particular order:
  • paint rusty wiper arms
  • paint rear wing? clear coat is peeling
  • clean and install interior carpet

SOLD at 205k miles to the lucky lady named Damian (yippy)

Last edited:
onto the pictures! old civic:
IMG_0738-XL.jpg

first pic!
IMG_1763-L.jpg

got the fogs in and working.
FullSizeRender-L.jpg

getting the suspension goods
IMG_1759-XL.jpg

FullSizeRender-XL.jpg

IMG_1755-L.jpg

IMG_1751-L.jpg

Last edited:
This post is reserved for favorite photos

IMG_0156-XL.jpg

IMG_0148-XL.jpg

IMG_7470-XL.jpg

62798214-9220-44D3-A14A-DA7345DB24CE-XL.jpg

IMG_6541-XL.jpg

52776C16-7C98-4251-835B-8A0EA7373150-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Moved my post from 6-25-2016 to this post to clear up a post for just photos.

yesterday, i removed the tint from all windows except for the one on the rear hatch. the tint is faded so bad that it's pretty much clear. surprisingly, it didn't leave much adhesive behind when peeled. if there was residue, spraying soapy water and scraping it with a blade did the trick.

the passenger window left no adhesive behind.

IMG_1826-L.jpg

the worst adhesive i had to deal with. again, it wasn't that bad at all.

IMG_1827-L.jpg

Are you going to tint it yourself, or have a place do it? Our cars are easy.

most likely bringing it to a place to get it tinted. i've never done tinting before and don't trust myself. removed the rear hatch's tint yesterday and it left a crap ton of adhesive. had to hit it with some acetone to get it all off.

Last edited:
replaced the HVAC control unit with a spare one i had laying around. no more flickering between speed changes and no more being stuck with fan speed 1 lol. i tossed that old unit in the garbage with the quickness. upon inspection, the very back of the switch where the harness plugs into was super loose and wobbly on the bad unit. was nice and tight on the spare. -thumbs up-

wasn't trying to be in this upper 90 degree weather this week with only fan speed one and no tint lol

Sup man! Nice pickup on that P5. Just saw you're in Va Beach too, awesome to see another local around! You ever go to Night Moves? There's always a couple P5's there and they're all black haha I'm the only one not lowered yet :( around here most shops want about $200 to do our cars. I took mine to Eclipse Auto tint over in Norfolk and they did a nice job. Comes with a nationwide lifetime warranty, wherever there's a Suntek installer. Excited to see what you do with it man (thumb)

Sup man! Nice pickup on that P5. Just saw you're in Va Beach too, awesome to see another local around! You ever go to Night Moves? There's always a couple P5's there and they're all black haha I'm the only one not lowered yet :( around here most shops want about $200 to do our cars. I took mine to Eclipse Auto tint over in Norfolk and they did a nice job. Comes with a nationwide lifetime warranty, wherever there's a Suntek installer. Excited to see what you do with it man (thumb)

not going to do too much with it as it's the daily. i really need this tint and rear sway bar tho lol. i haven't been to night moves yet. it's time to lower your p5 man. what are you waiting for? lol

VA P5s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yessir!

in other news, got my floormats in.

Boston's p5. he doesn't come on the forums anymore but he's in the protege chill spot group on facebook.

Noticed an abnormal sound on the drive home earlier this week. It's coming from the belt area of the car. Removed the ps and ac belt to rule them out and its still making the sound. Is anyone familiar with what it could be? I'm thinking timing belt tensioner or water pump. Other than the noise, car operates just fine. Here's a video https://youtu.be/blvDQMT4itg

Thanks!

found out it was a bad water pump making all the noise. went a head and did a belt and pump job since i was going in that deep. it was almost time anyway. that part is all done but i'm not able to put coolant in the car yet as i snapped a bolt located on the thermostat housing. fun..

IMG_7309-XL.jpg

IMG_7367-XL.jpg

IMG_7275-XL.jpg

thanks! i'll let you know. i have a stud extraction tool coming in today and hoping that will take care of it so i can get this car back on the road.

the tool came in a day late. oh well. it worked like a charm. p5 is back up and running now.

2016120200225366-IMG_3356-XL.jpg

Back