Something wrong with right front brake

Izimo

:
Mazda Protege5
Hello guys,

Since I've owned my car there is something wrong with the right front brake. After some hard cornering and braking there would be a scraping sound as if the brakepads are worn, but this isn't the case and you can feel juddering in the brakepedal like if the discs are on there way out or crooked.

When the brakepads where in for a change and I also wanted to put on new discs also I found out that there was on the bottom side a different bolt and there was a shim in between the caliper and the pad holder.

I thought this was the issue with the strange noises and juddering and left it out when putting it back together.

Now I still have the juddering when braking as if the disc is warped.

Someone can tell what can be crooked and I have to replace and wtf could the 'shim upgrade' be?

Thank you for reading!

I get pulsing in my brakes, I know I have a warped rear rotor.
I also sometimes get a little scraping noise, it's the pads rubbing on the rotors. A bottle of goop from Napa is like $6 and basically glues the pads to the caliper slide/piston, that way they don't rub when there's no pressure.

Rotors are cheap at RockAuto. Replace the front ones and see what happens, worst case scenario you have new rotors. Or just pull the old one off and see if it's visibly warped.

There is something warped, but it's not the disc. I think maybe something happened with the previous owner (hitting a curb too hard or something) and he bent something in the right front, but I can't see something crooked (upright, caliperholder etc.)

There is something warped, but it's not the disc. I think maybe something happened with the previous owner (hitting a curb too hard or something) and he bent something in the right front, but I can't see something crooked (upright, caliperholder etc.)

How are you so sure of that?

Rotors are cheap, I'd replace them with the pads and start fresh.

Like I said in the beginning, they are changed with new ones, but my issue is, why would somebody put a washer in between the caliper and holder.

Hello guys,

Since I've owned my car there is something wrong with the right front brake. After some hard cornering and braking there would be a scraping sound as if the brakepads are worn, but this isn't the case and you can feel juddering in the brakepedal like if the discs are on there way out or crooked.

When the brakepads where in for a change and I also wanted to put on new discs also I found out that there was on the bottom side a different bolt and there was a shim in between the caliper and the pad holder.

I thought this was the issue with the strange noises and juddering and left it out when putting it back together.

Now I still have the juddering when braking as if the disc is warped.

Someone can tell what can be crooked and I have to replace and wtf could the 'shim upgrade' be?

Thank you for reading!

Like I said in the beginning, they are changed with new ones, but my issue is, why would somebody put a washer in between the caliper and holder.

Your first post wasn't clear if you did replace them or not.

Was the washer between the caliper bracket and hub or between the caliper and it's bracket on the slider bolts?

To my knowledge none of those are supposed to have a washer or shim. Got any pics of it?

Your first post wasn't clear if you did replace them or not.

Was the washer between the caliper bracket and hub or between the caliper and it's bracket on the slider bolts?

To my knowledge none of those are supposed to have a washer or shim. Got any pics of it?

I'm dutch, so forgive me for my bad English.

The washer was in between cailiper and it's bracket on the bottom, at the top there wasn't.

I don't have pictures, because the work was done a while ago, but the juddering stayed with and without the washer.

What happens when the tires are in the air and you spin the wheel and tire by hand?

What is the spare part you left out? You have called a washer and a shim... Do you have a picture of this leftover part?

Did the other side of the car have the washer/shim?

Have you looked at an exploded diagram to make sure you have all of the parts?

When you installed the new rotors, did you clean up the hub flange too?

What happens when the tires are in the air and you spin the wheel and tire by hand?

What is the spare part you left out? You have called a washer and a shim... Do you have a picture of this leftover part?

Did the other side of the car have the washer/shim?

Have you looked at an exploded diagram to make sure you have all of the parts?

When you installed the new rotors, did you clean up the hub flange too?

There was a washer in between the brake caliper and it's bracket. The kind of washer/shim you use between a bolt and surface you bolt something to.

If I spin the wheel (and also when driving) all feels as it should. It only occurs when applying the brakes you feel the 'wobble'.

On the leftside there was no washer and both bolts were the same, on the right side there was the washer and different bolt on the bottom.

No parts left out I've done a lot of rotors and pads changes before and only thing I know is that a washer shouldn't be in that place.

I've cleaned everything before mounting new rotors.

OK! Good to hear...

RE: Odd bolt, Perhaps the previous owner stripped or broke the original bolt, and had to make do with another non standard one and added that washer then?

When you say you "feel the wobble", where do you feel it? Does it do it when applying only the hand brake?

Last edited:
Its probably your rear rotors. I had bad rear rotors and the steering wheel shook bad before I changed them out. Now I have no wobble with new rear rotors on.

It comes 100% from the right front brake. The wobble is noticable true steeringwheel and brake pedal. Rear brakes is nothing wrong with them.

That odd bolt story can be, but the washer where it shouldn't be was for some reason and with or without it. The right front brake wobbles. I will take it apart this week.

At the red arrow in between there was the washer.

3695rza0kpuuj.png

Last edited:
Still waiting to hear...Have you taken any pictures or taken it apart or had it inspected?

This weekend I will take it apart and see if I can see something out of the ordinary, imho the reason would be that the wheelhub is bend or the padholder/caliper. I will also take apart the leftside to check for differences in the parts allignment.

Maybe try one of these things to see where the wobble is.

Make sure that your rotor is flush with the hub flange.

Check your hub flange as well to make sure it's true.

Make sure your rotors are clean... An oily or greasy spot can make them pulse.

I would also check to make sure the rubber brake line isn't pigtailed or twisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I went to take the front brakes out to do a cross reference. This is what I've found out.

1os1wpxjytsyg.jpg

Why the F would somebody grind that down???!!!!!

Last edited:
It may have been an aftermarket caliper with slightly different dimensions or the wrong caliper in the first place and he just made it fit.

Those guide pins look nasty.... I hope you're investing in a new pair of front calipers.
The bad caliper may have damaged or warped your rotor... You may still want a new pair for the front.

Back