Leaving my CX-5 for 6 weeks on vacation, how should I prepare?

cx5tepr

:
cx-5
I'll be out of the country for 6 weeks and don't have close enough friends to request spending 30 minutes every week or two driving my car, how should I store my car during this time? Is it safe to leave the battery disconnected during this time to reduce battery drain?

I have heard topping off the tank with premium gas and making sure to drive for a good 15-30 minutes on the last time before storing it is a good idea. Any other tips or warnings I should heed?

Thanks

Have you got a decent smart charger? Something quite inexpensive like a CTEK 4amp model is ideal for keeping the battery maintained under those kinds of circumstances. I use one to keep my boat batteries in tip top condition, stays hooked up almost permanantly.

Assuming of course the car is garaged where you can easily hook it up.

Lock it. Make sure the sunroof is closed.

I was a vehicle engineer for 30 years and that is exactly what I would do. I often go on holiday for over a month and bit RAV4s and CX5s have kicked up and driven just like theyd been parked overnight.

You're overthinking this. We just came back home after being gone for 6 weeks. What did I do to prepare my CX? Locked it and made sure the sunroof was closed. I started the car yesterday for the first time since Thanksgiving. No problemo.

Try being gone for 15 months. Ive seen soldiers return from Iraq and their cars started up just fine.

You car will be fine for 6 weeks...

Really nothing? I would at least do is go and get the battery load tested. Many places will do this for *free. You are in San Jose (USA CA) ? if so go to a *O"Rileys or Auto Zone.

Yea I mean sometimes its fine to let it sit that long when its healthy. But I also know of times where it would die in as little as a week..... so a batter maintainer seems like a reasonable dose of precaution.

I would start by turning the engine off. Closing the door behind you and locking the doors. Good luck! (hand)

I'll be out of the country for 6 weeks.
When I first read your note, I didn't look at your location, and assumed you were somewhere cold.
I was all set to give you some advice for leaving a car in winter weather. Then I saw your location in your sig.
Now I have to go with all the other advice you have been given. Top up the tank, lock it, and enjoy your trip.
If you're worried about security, maybe make sure your fob (wherever you leave it) is shielded.

Yea I mean sometimes it*s fine to let it sit that long when it*s healthy. But I also know of times where it would die in as little as a week..... so a batter maintainer seems like a reasonable dose of precaution.

If being gone a few weeks finishes off your battery, you're due for a new one anyway.

If being gone a few weeks finishes off your battery, you're due for a new one anyway.

I dont disagree. I just find a dead battery to be really annoying so I would still use a maintainer if I wont be driving it more than a couple weeks.

I also will preemptively replace it once its 5 years old or so if I hadnt quit already because I believe it probably will soon.

I don*t disagree. I just find a dead battery to be really annoying so I would still use a maintainer if I won*t be driving it more than a couple weeks.

I also will preemptively replace it once it*s 5 years old or so if I hadn*t quit already because I believe it probably will soon.

The point is that he, and you, won't find a dead battery after a few weeks if your battery is healthy, so you won't be annoyed, and don't need to give it that special treatment.

But it it makes you feel better, then by all means, do it. No harm in it.

Yes, really.

It*s O*Reilly btw.

If you insist, just disconnect the battery.

Well I wont go into why this is not always a way to insure when you reconnect it the battery will start the engine.
Guess that's why some have AAA and at least a cell phone to call for a jump or battery replacement? hahahaha!

The point is that he, and you, won't find a dead battery after a few weeks if your battery is healthy, so you won't be annoyed, and don't need to give it that special treatment.

But it it makes you feel better, then by all means, do it. No harm in it.

I guess the problem is they tend to go fast without a lot of warning. I mean that is why so many people have AAA (or some roadside assistance) right?

Back