DIY carbon fiber2

akhilleus

DIY carbon fiber/kevlar 2

I have encountered a very lucrative carbon fiber hookup that offers various grades/designs/colors of carbon fiber and kevlar weaves. This may seem like a addendum to the other carbon fiber post but i feel that this product is better priced and of higher quality with more selectability.
I can offer amounts from 1yd to multiple rolls(100yds/roll)
this is just to guage interest.. pics can be provided
pricing would be as follows
1yd(36"x36") of 3 design/grade choice: $70
however as amount increases cost decreases so when looking at a 100yd roll prices could be as low as $35 per yard
info on CF, fiberglass or kevlar combos are also available plus info on epoxies and resins and molding/producing. All these aspects can also be purchased for reasonable prices if there is sufficent interest.

Last edited:
Colored Kevlar/CF blends

here are some color examples of the CF/kevlar blend product that are available.

Attachments

• 293.jpg
    293.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 294.jpg
    294.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 295.jpg
    295.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 106
hm, hopefully in a couple weeks I can afford a sheet to try some interior mods out. Do they make a C/F kevlar weave with black and silver?

otherwise Ill just go original CF or the blue weave.

Thx for the hookups btw.

How is this stuff applied to interior pieces? Is it thin enough to bend around corners and over complex shapes?

akhilleus said:
I have encountered a very lucrative carbon fiber hookup that offers various grades/designs/colors of carbon fiber and kevlar weaves. This may seem like a addendum to the other carbon fiber post but i feel that this product is better priced and of higher quality with more selectability.
I can offer amounts from 1yd to multiple rolls(100yds/roll)
this is just to guage interest.. pics can be provided
pricing would be as follows
1yd(36"x36") of 3 design/grade choice: $70
however as amount increases cost decreases so when looking at a 100yd roll prices could be as low as $35 per yard
info on CF, fiberglass or kevlar combos are also available plus info on epoxies and resins and molding/producing. All these aspects can also be purchased for reasonable prices if there is sufficent interest.
Good info..seems very fair in price...Got couple questions!

What would be needed to get enough to cover entire hood? And how much$

Chas

acidbbg said:
What would be needed to get enough to cover entire hood?

Chas
Your kidding right? Don't do it that is just, plain (rice) (ricer)

Last edited:
Um just to let you guys know that Kevlar is very difficult to cut. Most professional shops use a 5000 PSI waterpic stream of water to cut this stuff cleanly. Scissors and razors will not work very well and you will fray the s*** out of the weave doing so

melicha8 said:
Um just to let you guys know that Kevlar is very difficult to cut. Most professional shops use a 5000 PSI waterpic stream of water to cut this stuff cleanly. Scissors and razors will not work very well and you will fray the s*** out of the weave doing so
Thanks for the info!

I am now not interested!

(headbang)

tin snips work real well, I have cut C/F strips that had an aluminum backing before from MOMO to make some stuff and it worked fine, even beveled the edge in a little for me so it looked clean.

Not sure how the kevlar would do with tin snips, even higher gauge ones but that or a dremel with a diamond/titanium blade would work without fraying as long as you set it to the right speed.

edit: also, to do interior pieces your best bet is to do like that s2000 that was in superstreet recently, the guy did all his CF interior with sheets like these and it turned out great, just heat it a little with a hair dryer before applying to make it flexible and plyable.

The sheets are very thin. I can get various grades of regular carbon fiber too such as

and i can offer featherweight scissors specifically for cutting kevlar/CF weaves

These weaves can be used on interior pieces as well as making body components... however u will also need epoxy and resin to apply it. If interested further pm me for more prices.
I can also get carbon fiber and kevlar tape.
Since one can mold it onto parts it wont come off as an adhesive will and it will be very flush in mounting. I had orginally planned on producing components with these items for the p5 but i was constrained by time issues... so now i am offering them to the community

Attachments

• 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 207.jpg
    207.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 212.jpg
    212.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
excellent, i think that middle pic there is the style I want...do they have a weave where the grey part is a brighter silver? like the color weaves only silver instead of blue?

If not doesnt matter, I should have the money end of next week or early the following week.

Ok so here is the situation. U will need these items to complete the project. However this is just a general guideline
scissors
resin
CF/kevlar
application item costs will be between $40-$60
I will speak to my contacts on monday so that i may recommend which resins would be good for this application(plastic/metal). so when u do place your order you will have to specify the application and environment since this will determine which resins/epoxies to use. I should have total $ amount by then if people are still interested. I will also include instructions for mixing and applying. finalizing everything may take up to a week, thanks for your interest

let these people know it has to be cooked under high pressure with a special glue in between the sheets to make thicker pieces :p

Last edited:
This is mainly for asthetic applications. not structural. as to cooking it i was unaware of that in my research. All questions will be answered tom.

Actually i was incorrect about the size of the sheets they are in linear yards
which is 36"x50"
so for this size sheet it is $70
also the epoxy resin can be used for adhesion and outer coating.
I can also supply directions and tools if people are still interested. However although plastic applications arent a problem some metals may be due to oils in the metal that may make adhesion difficult. Also for the resin epoxies there are different pot/life which is how long the mixture remains fluid until it begins to gel and set these are
20min 60min or 80min .. i would recommend the 60-80min.. no heating is required for adhesion or application.
let me know if anyone has anymore questions

Back