Need help with CX-5 Gear Shift Handle

Today my dog's leash got wrapped around the gear shift handle while I was in Drive & she jumped & it ripped the handle off. I can now only shift to Neutral & Drive & then the Manual feature. The button on the front of the handle is stuck as if it is pressed in. I was able to drive home, but since the car is not in Park it won't fully shut off, so is now just draining the battery. I've been looking online to see if it's something I can fix, but am having no luck. Anyone have any experience or advice for me? Many thanks in advance! :)

Well it's not almost 2.5 hrs since you posted, but you can always just disconnect the battery's positive lead.

Today my dog's leash got wrapped around the gear shift handle while I was in Drive & she jumped & it ripped the handle off. I can now only shift to Neutral & Drive & then the Manual feature. The button on the front of the handle is stuck as if it is pressed in. I was able to drive home, but since the car is not in Park it won't fully shut off, so is now just draining the battery. I've been looking online to see if it's something I can fix, but am having no luck. Anyone have any experience or advice for me? Many thanks in advance! :)
Try to open the cover near gear shifter、push down and hold the shift-lock override button inside with a screwdriver and see if you can move the shifter into park temporarily. You may have to open up the center console to find out if anything got damaged and needs to be replaced.

Remove the terminal from negative post of the battery if needed to prevent battery drain.

0F1FEAD1-37A0-436B-B24C-A67CBD57E3FD.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe when the shift handle is removed, the button stays pressed in. For my 2024 CX5, all you have to do to remove the handle is press button like you are going to shift and pull up with a good bit of force. To put it back on, put handle back in correct orientation and give it a good smack down and that’s it!

Back