Folding side mirror issue (2021 CX-5)

Hello! After reading your messages I felt compelled to add mine. I have a Mazda cx5 2021. I have owned it since February 2021 and have a warranty of 3 years or 60,000 kms whichever comes first. So I’m out of warranty by a couple months however I only have 40,000 kms on it. I noticed a couple weeks ago that my driver’s side mirror was not operating. I asked my mechanic to check it when I had my winters taken off and summers put on. He said the motor had burned out. Then I called the dealer where I purchased it and he said he would give me the part, $91.00 but the Labour is on me $306.00. Doesn’t seem fair really! I decided to contact Mazda Canada and hope that they could show some goodwill, didn’t happen! Quire upsetting to say the least. I bought the vehicle with this feature to verify that when I walked away from my vehicle I could see that it was locked and also not have other cars hit my mirrors in tight parking spaces. Mazda has known of this faulty TSB since 2019! Why haven’t they rectified it! I would appreciate any help/guidance!
Kind regards,
J

Yes Mazda’s power folding mirrors aren’t reliable and many owners have disabled the function to avoid the problem. If you search the forum and you’ll find the complaints too many:

Anyone have post-warranty luck on CX-5 folding mirror problems?

Actually Mazda has been issuing the TSBs for Power Folding Mirrors since 2013 world wide as this feature has been available since then in other regions. Somehow Mazda just can’t fixed the problem with many revisions.

Luckily there’s repair kit available now on Temu and Aliexpress from China. Some kits offer improved parts such as metal gear instead of plastic gear from factory. You can get the repair kit DIY repair it, or have some trustworthy shop to fix it for you.

Last edited:
They can be made reliable. My father’s old ‘93 Isuzu Trooper (he purchased new) has power folding mirrors that still work to this day. I have them on my ‘12 GX 460 and never an issue with them there either.

They can be made reliable. My father’s old ‘93 Isuzu Trooper (he purchased new) has power folding mirrors that still work to this day. I have them on my ‘12 GX 460 and never an issue with them there either.
Yes indeed. Many friends have power folding mirrors on their Lexus RX and LX for over 10 years of auto folding every time the doors are locked and unlocked.

I just disabled the auto folding on my CX-50. I normally don't need it, and can fold them manually on the few occasions I do.

I had my driver’s side die on my 2019 Signature in 2020 so covered by the warranty. It’s worked off and on for about a year. I was quoted a motor replacement cost similar to yours (also live in Canada).
I like the feature but could live without it.

Latest posts

Back