New Member here, about to purchase a CX-5

Hello everyone, I'm about to Purchase a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring for my Wife and was wondering what are your guy's Cons with this vehicle?

Also

a 2017 might be in the books too, just kind of looking at both but wanting some personal experiences.

thank you everyone!

~Kyle

I had a 2017 and it was a great car until the turbo models came out in 2019. The Turbo models definitely cranked the CX-5 fun factor up a ton. It's I newer generation compared to the 2016 model year, so the refinements in the 2017 might sway your decision. Unfortunately I don't have experience with the 2016 CX-5.

Hello everyone, I'm about to Purchase a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring for my Wife and was wondering what are your guy's Cons with this vehicle?

Also

a 2017 might be in the books too, just kind of looking at both but wanting some personal experiences.

thank you everyone!

~Kyle
For a used CX-5, 2016.5 is my top choice and 2016 is the second best. 2017 does suffer some new model issues especially the front suspension. But those are fixable without too much cost. I wouldn’t consider 2018 MY CX-5 as Mazda since has added the cylinder deactivation to the 2.5L NA, and the 2019 as Mazda has added the 2.5T turbo, and both have suffered potential head crack problem.

Of course the low mileage used vehicle is one major factor, so as the good maintenance history.

For 2016 CX-5, the major issue is the rear disk brake calipers with EPB. A pair of revised new calipers from Mazda can fix the problem. If the 2016 CX-5 GT has LED headlights, they would fail on LED Signature DRLs and the unit is very expensive. Luckily that would be covered by a recall.

I pretty much never agree with yrwei on anything. I do agree with his first paragraph though.
Older and used, 16 or 17 are the ones to get. Shoot for a 17 GT. MANY improvements made. HUD, heated steering wheel, doors open wider, rear seat reclines, rear seat has heater vents and are heated too. Major improvements over 16.
No idea what he's talking about with the calipers on my 16. And the LED headlight issue has long been resolved. They were recalled and I haven't seen a single failure since.

70K miles on my 16. It's been ridiculously reliable.

2016 is a good year, IMO. Good engine/trans combo, reliable power train. Had to have my rear calipers replaced as well for the defective EPB problem for which the parking brake would bind up and not release. You might want to opt for a 2015 as well, they didn't have the EPB. Great gas mileage.

Last edited:
I pretty much never agree with yrwei on anything. I do agree with his first paragraph though.
Older and used, 16 or 17 are the ones to get. Shoot for a 17 GT. MANY improvements made. HUD, heated steering wheel, doors open wider, rear seat reclines, rear seat has heater vents and are heated too. Major improvements over 16.
No idea what he's talking about with the calipers on my 16. And the LED headlight issue has long been resolved. They were recalled and I haven't seen a single failure since.

70K miles on my 16. It's been ridiculously reliable.
2017 was the redesign. Odd to compare different generations.

For 2016 CX-5, the major issue is the rear disk brake calipers with EPB.

Have owned a 16 Touring since Apr 2015 and have not had any problems with the rear calipers.

For 2016 CX-5, the major issue is the rear disk brake calipers with EPB.

Have owned a 16 Touring since Apr 2015 and have not had any problems with the rear calipers.
If your rear disk calipers with EPB on CX-5 and CX-9 have the build date before 9/7/2016, you have inferior calipers which could cause disk dragging:

TSB No. 04-001/18: Noise from Rear Brakes Due to Brake Dragging

Mazda has since modified the rear disk calipers to prevent rear disk dragging which would cause uneven wear on pads and even rear brake lock up.

My rear disk calipers were replaced with updated calipers along with new pads and rotors right before my new car warranty expired when I presented the TSB to my Mazda dealer.

Just do a search on this forum and see how many 2016 CX-5 and CX-9 owners were having this problem.

@yrwei52 does this also apply to the 2016.5?
The TSB says:

NOTE: Part numbers of caliper have not been changed by this modification. Distinguish the modified one from old one using the 3-digit lot number (Production Date) stamped on the caliper (A).
Calipers with the lot number (production date) of 697 (2016/09/07) and higher are modified.

So in theory earlier productions of 2016.5 CX-5 are also affected as the 2016.5 CX-5 MY started in Feb. 2016.

You might also want to make sure there's no oil leaks around the timing cover or oil pan. It's a minor annoyance at worst but the drive line is IMO solid. Also, look at the engine belt tensioner.

Normally you pick the generation, and then look at years. Starting with the year is arbitrary.
"Normally"?? I'm sure there are a lot of people that shop by "I have xx dollars, what can I get"...
When I was shopping for my Volvo i would have PREFERRED the current SPA Generation that started in 19, but I certainly would have gotten a prior gen if I had found one I really liked.

"Normally"?? I'm sure there are a lot of people that shop by "I have xx dollars, what can I get"...
When I was shopping for my Volvo i would have PREFERRED the current SPA Generation that started in 19, but I certainly would have gotten a prior gen if I had found one I really liked.
Right, so you're talking what generation you want. Then you decide ok, what year should I be looking for between say '13-16 (for CX-5).

Have a '17 since new.
0 problem other than the GPS SD card went bad.
Mixed driving.

'17 is much quieter than the '16, heavier due to more isolation material used, and slower if you care about it.

Right, so you're talking what generation you want. Then you decide ok, what year should I be looking for between say '13-16 (for CX-5).
Are we still talking about this? LOL
Not everyone shops the same.
And I certainly would have appreciated someone telling me the differences...no one did... between an 18 and a 19 S60. Because they are also significant, like the 16-17 CX5.

Back