Oil low? 2021 CX-5 26k miles

Last edited:
Sorry, I think you're misunderstanding.

I'm sure that the issue is related to the TSB.

Again, I'm just pointing out there could be other causes.
Yes oil consumption could be caused by many things. But for OP who has a 2021 CX-5 with 2.5T which is clearly listed on the Low Oil Level Warning Light TSB, we should suggest him to take his CX-5 to a Mazda dealer ASAP as the problem almost certainly is caused by defective exhaust valve stem seals. The fix is very expensive and if there isn’t this TSB this kind of oil consumption won’t meet the 1 quart per 1,000 mile industry guideline on oil consumption problem and none of the car manufactures would do anything about it. I believe @Tchman2016 did a right thing at the first place to suggest the OP to visit the Mazda dealer based on the TSB. Don’t waste the time to check or do anything else trying to resolve the oil consumption issue by yourself if there’s a TSB and you have warranty to cover the diagnosis and fix.

Honestly Mazda has admitted the exhaust valve stem seals used on the 2.5T and installed into CX-5 between 10/6/2020 and 9/13/2021 may get damaged which causes oil consumption problem, and since then they’ve modified the seals. I’ve to think the original seals on these 2.5T eventually will fail. OP is lucky to have the symptom early and can have his warranty to cover the expensive replacement with modified seals.

Dropped it off tonight, they will call tomorrow with a report, once I know something I'll report back. Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I added a qt of 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic this am on the way to work.

Dropped it off tonight, they will call tomorrow with a report, once I know something I'll report back. Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I added a qt of 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic this am on the way to work.
That's fine, it doesn't matter if you add oil because the light came on already and code is already set. In fact you are proactively protecting the engine from further damage by adding oil. Nobody's expected to drive around with low oil until they get to a dealership!

That's fine, it doesn't matter if you add oil because the light came on already and code is already set. In fact you are proactively protecting the engine from further damage by adding oil. Nobody's expected to drive around with low oil until they get to a dealership!
Yes when OP’s CX-5 is having a “LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL” warning message and an engine oil level warning light on in the instrument cluster, a DTC P250F:00 should have been stored in memory.

On the other hand, when the oil level has dropped to near the Low mark on the dipstick and triggered the Low Oil Level Warning Light, it won’t damage the engine just yet and it’s safe to drive the CX-5 to the dealership without adding any oil. Adding more oil of course is fine but my feeling is OP can show the dealer the obvious warning light just in case if the DTC somehow didn’t get registered (or the dealer could lie and say no code found).

Low Oil Level Warning Light isn’t a critical situation and you don’t need to stop the engine immediately like the Low Oil Pressure Warning Light. That’s why the former is AMBER but the latter is RED.

79969024-F9BC-4702-A1DA-B57E5A9B78C2.jpeg

One time I drove my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2 in disguise) for a 400-mile road trip from San Fran to LA, and lost at least 1.5 quarts of engine oil out of 4.4 quarts capacity when I arrived the destination and checked the oil level the next morning. I added 1.5 quarts of oil and drove back to the Toyota dealer who did the oil change covered by free Toyota New Vehicle Maintenance Program just before the trip, and found “damaged” drain plug gasket which caused oil leak. Dealer over-fill on oil change as usual may have saved the engine too. The key is the Low Oil Pressure Warning Light (of course the Yaris doesn’t equip the Oil Level Warning Light) had never on hence the engine shouldn’t get damaged even though the oil level was so low at the time the dipstick didn’t even show ANY oil when checked!

It is the problem with the seals. However, Mazda will not authorize repair until the code is showed. Apparently when I added oil it cleared the code. The dealership has been reliable in the past. They told me it will likely come on again and to come in so they can document the code and fix the car at no charge.

It is the problem with the seals. However, Mazda will not authorize repair until the code is showed. Apparently when I added oil it cleared the code. The dealership has been reliable in the past. They told me it will likely come on again and to come in so they can document the code and fix the car at no charge.
Unfortunately it’s just like I guessed (the code SHOULD be stored in memory). It usually takes about 4,500 miles to use up a quart with damaged exhaust valve stem seals which most likely is about time to do the next oil change. Just make sure don’t add any oil when the Low Oil Level Warning Light is on and visit your dealer ASAP.

If you do oil change at your dealership, make sure don’t let them over-fill which happens quite often. Check the oil level after the oil change and demand them to drain if it’s over-filled.

They either did not look at the history codes in the PCM or they did not scan the vehicle and jusy told you there were no codes because the indicator light wasn't actively on. As soon as that light comes on it sets a code. It is a fault code and the PCM wouldn't turn on that light if it didn't detect an issue. I've run into this issue before with my vehicle brought to a dealership when there was a fault light on the dash for which I took a picture of so there was no dispute. I have a high end scanner and there was a clear fault code stored in memory when scanned, however the dealer told me they scanned it and there was none. It was BS because I scanned my vehicle again after getting it back and the code there clear as day. Bottom line is that they are either liars or incompetent or both. They probably don't want to deal with that right now because the warranty time is much lower than actual book time to do the job. They also probably don't have the master tech/shop foreman available that is required to do the job either. These dealerships like to prioritize $100 oil changes before actual work. It's a very sad situation that most competent knowledgeable techs have left the dealers or the industry entirely because of the horrific pay system and treatment by their employers. Nobody wants to be treated like dirt.

If I were you, I would buy a $100 scanner on amazon( I can recommend the one I use) and scan it for yourself to see if the code is there. If it is not there then they cleared the codes BUT the scanner will tell you when the codes were cleared and at what mileage. Then you will know. I wouldn't let this go until another oil change. I'd drain the extra quart out to trigger the light again.

Last edited:
Dealerships are strange. They know your make/model year falls into the valve seal issue, they can even check for a leak with a simple test. Why do they resist doing the work. I guess it is the reason Tchman2016 said. Burning oil can potentially clog up the catalytic converter.
Yryei52 proves to be right again to keep the light on. But there really isn't a reason to deny the work just because the light went off. I would have added oil too.

I think there may be a protocol from Mazda NA that dealers have to follow to get repairs like this covered. I saw this when I had to get transmission replaced on my 2020. The protocol may require that dealers see the low oil warning. I'm just speculating though.

I think there may be a protocol from Mazda NA that dealers have to follow to get repairs like this covered. I saw this when I had to get transmission replaced on my 2020. The protocol may require that dealers see the low oil warning. I'm just speculating though.
Yes, that is how they explained it to me.

They either did not look at the history codes in the PCM or they did not scan the vehicle and jusy told you there were no codes because the indicator light wasn't actively on. As soon as that light comes on it sets a code. It is a fault code and the PCM wouldn't turn on that light if it didn't detect an issue. I've run into this issue before with my vehicle brought to a dealership when there was a fault light on the dash for which I took a picture of so there was no dispute. I have a high end scanner and there was a clear fault code stored in memory when scanned, however the dealer told me they scanned it and there was none. It was BS because I scanned my vehicle again after getting it back and the code there clear as day. Bottom line is that they are either liars or incompetent or both. They probably don't want to deal with that right now because the warranty time is much lower than actual book time to do the job. They also probably don't have the master tech/shop foreman available that is required to do the job either. These dealerships like to prioritize $100 oil changes before actual work. It's a very sad situation that most competent knowledgeable techs have left the dealers or the industry entirely because of the horrific pay system and treatment by their employers. Nobody wants to be treated like dirt.

If I were you, I would buy a $100 scanner on amazon( I can recommend the one I use) and scan it for yourself to see if the code is there. If it is not there then they cleared the codes BUT the scanner will tell you when the codes were cleared and at what mileage. Then you will know. I wouldn't let this go until another oil change. I'd drain the extra quart out to trigger the light again.
Well said! You simply can’t trust those dealers nowadays!

Yes, that is how they explained it to me.
The description of the TSB 01-003/23 states:

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may have a “LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL” warning message and an engine oil level warning light on in the instrument cluster with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory, and the oil level has actually decreased to near low.
• DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low
This is caused by an oil consumption increase due to damage of the valve seals on the exhaust side. To eliminate this concern, the design of these valve seals has been modified.

So if a Mazda dealer saw the stored P250F:00 code (and you should have it when you have had Low Oil Level Warning Light), they should be able to perform the TSB. I believe your Mazda dealer simply pushed away your issue for the reasons @Tchman2016 mentioned in his post. You can get a good scanner to verify that if there’s a code or there have been a code, or change the oil (making sure the oil level is correct) and wait for another 4,500 miles until the Low Oil Level Warning Light is on again. It’s your choice, and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back